I love the work being done on Trout Run

The Rodfather

The Rodfather

We had a nice weekend DCLOC trip and went over to check out how the fishing was south of the turnpike. The run itself is beautiful but the work being done to it, once it catches and starts to take hold will turn that stream onto a dandy of a fishing destination.

The fish weren't too active while we were there but I will be going back for sure. Beautiful place.
20240310 095630
20240310 090511

That's a pretty creek. What is the work being done?
Regards.

He said "south of the turnpike." That narrows it down quite a bit. How many Trout Runs can there be south of the turnpike.......

That's a pretty creek. What is the work being done?
Regards.
Looks like a lot of planting along the banks throughout the reservoir valley and appears to be a good amount of man made rock formations in the stream to create some deep holes over time.

Once those trees take to give some bank stabilization and some shade over those sections, it will be a nice stretch to fish.

If there used to be a dam there it is now gone as well. Looks like there used to be one but this was my first time so I don't know the history of this area.

Franklin County near Roxbury is where the best access is and you hike in toward the turnpike.

Note: you will be off-grid for most of the run. So plan accordingly.

Last edited:
Franklin County near Roxbury is where the best access is and you hike in toward the turnpike.

Note: you will be off-grid for most of the run. So plan accordingly.
I used to live 10 mins from there. Lots of underfished gems in the area.

N 40.14122 W 77.67008

Take a look on Acmemapper. The topo map shows that there was a reservoir. The current imagery shows that it's been drained.

Is there a place to park then walk in on public land?

N 40.14122 W 77.67008

Take a look on Acmemapper. The topo map shows that there was a reservoir. The current imagery shows that it's been drained.

Is there a place to park then walk in on public land?
Yes. You can park on Trout Run Rd. which intersects 641 from the north in Gunther Valley. Trout Run Rd. is gated shortly north of there and it’s a lengthy walk up to the old reservoir.

I did it a few Winters ago. I’m a Turnpike history buff, and it was a fun history/fishing hike type of day. Pack a lunch, as it will take all day. Stay on the road grade/trail as you get near the existing TPike Tunnels, from what I understand they don’t like you getting too close to them. But in Winter, there are cool photo opportunities of the tunnels from the grade. The stream itself runs through the narrow valley (Gunther Valley) between Blue Mountain and Kittatinny Tunnels, and flows under the TPike in the short couple hundred yard stretch between them.

The fishing was poor. The best habitat is in the very lowest stretch by the mouth at the Connie. I caught a few Brookies, but it was fun day nonetheless with the history aspects of the TPike and the old drained reservoir. I didn’t fish the reservoir section. That’s where I stopped fishing and just finished the hike up to check out the views of the tunnels. IIRC it was February and getting on 4:00 by the time I reached the tunnels and I wanted to complete the hike out (several miles) in daylight.

It would likely fish better in warmer conditions obviously, and the longer the reservoir is gone the better. I suspect it may get some run ups from the Connie too. It’s up your alley Dwight, you’d like it.
The whole bit is in Tuscarora SF, except for right around the tunnels. Check the SF maps to be certain of where you can and can’t be around the tunnels.

Edit: Just checked the map myself. There is also a short, few hundred yard stretch, about 2/3 of the way to the old reservoir that is posted by a hunting club. Had forgotten that in the meantime. It’s well posted and you’ll know when you hit it. When you get there, just get back on the grade and walk up around it and in a 1/4 mile or so you’re back in SF.

Last edited:
It's been a few years now since that reservoir dam was removed. I would be curious to know how it's doing now.

The first photo is very interesting. I'm assuming that must be the former reservoir area. Steep slopes come right down to the stream on both sides. There is no floodplain, which is unusual.

Are those steep slopes like that because the former floodplain is buried in a thick layer of legacy sediment from the reservoir?

If there a fluvial geomorphologist in the house?

yeah, as you walk up the road its clearly posted where it is private land. clear signage and purple trees all around. there is a road that turns down back to the water right after the private land. definitely worth it packing a lunch. there are plenty of neat places to take in the view while eating.

The old lake section reminds me of the stretch along Conococheague in the old Chambersburg Resevoir section. For whatever reason, fish don’t seem to love to hold in it. No shade, and they feel more vulnerable? That’s a similar system, with all, or mostly anyway, Brookies up that far.

The old lake section reminds me of the stretch along Conococheague in the old Chambersburg Resevoir section. For whatever reason, fish don’t seem to love to hold in it. No shade, and they feel more vulnerable? That’s a similar system, with all, or mostly anyway, Brookies up that far.
You read my mind, Swattie. That was drained 30+ years ago? That soil is terrible so the hardwood regeneration has been slow.

"Stream renovation" seldom benefits the aquatic insects and fish. More often than not, it just makes for a pretty stream and makes those who conduct the renovations feel good. Yellow Breeches c&r renovation is another prime example.

You read my mind, Swattie. That was drained 30+ years ago? That soil is terrible so the hardwood regeneration has been slow.
What are the characteristics of the soil that make in unsuitable for trees to grow well? Sandy? High and dry?

"Stream renovation" seldom benefits the aquatic insects and fish. More often than not, it just makes for a pretty stream and makes those who conduct the renovations feel good. Yellow Breeches c&r renovation is another prime example.
I'd call this a restoration. Would you prefer the dam or what?

I'm sure the giant dam that was here previously was great for the fish and macros.

What are the characteristics of the soil that make in unsuitable for trees to grow well? Sandy? High and dry?
Sandy and lacking organic matter. If you've never been there you 'all have to check it out sometime. It is a STW flowing through Michaux SF and Caledonia SP. There is a parking lot along 233 where the old reservoir was. There is a trail that is an easy hike down to the crick.

Back