I have a question, or two?

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Powers that be,

Is there a way to log in to this site and stay logged on for more than 20 minutes or so?

Barring that, is there anyway we can log into this site and stay permanently logged in? Most other sites I visit allow that. If there is a way I can't figure out how to do it and I'd appreciate some help.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Yeah , What Tim said :-D

I think if we leave a lot of people logged in it will slow the site down. The more people logged requires the site to have more connections in the database active. Thus the more connections the more site get taxed. The auto log out feature is to help keep the unattended connections to a minimum.

The other reasons many sites do put limits is so it is not as easy for renegades to go on a rant and just post a lot of bad stuff throughout the forums. There are other limits that you may not have encountered. Just like you can't use the word #OOPS#.

I don't think having everyone staying logged permanently will work out. Right now a session is set to kick unattended users off after thirty minutes.

What is it that you need to stay logged in for and how long? Maybe I can make some tweaks.

Dear Dave,

Allowing somebody to stay logged in for over an hour would be an improvement in my book.

I get up, open IE7 and open my tabs and surf the net. By the time I read what I want to read in the other tabs that I open and get back here I'm logged out.

There has to be a better way?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

At work, so long as I am at the "all forums" list page, if I type the first letter of my user name, Windows fills out the rest and it only takes a click at that point to log back in. I think that was a feature of Windows password manager that I selected first time I logged in at work. At home, my user name always appears, but then I must type my entire password-- much more of a hassle. At home, I think the username appears through a feature of the site software where I opted to have a cookie set that maintains my username.

I understand the purpose of the auto logout as you stated, Dave, but is there a setting that would allow the cookie to contain the password? In other words, for those who choose to do so, could we automatically be logged back on as soon as we enter the site?

Just thinking out loud. I have no idea how these message boards accomplish their tasks.

Back