How are fly anglers breaking all of these rods?

I broke the tip TWICE on my Helios 3 Euro rod, 10.5 ft, 3 wt. in a 2 year span. 1 time I swear it just happened. I was "casting" (nothing in Euro nymphing has much to do with what I've known as fly casting) while steelhead fishing and noticed it acted weird. Never felt any collision with a branch. Looked around for what I would have hit. Mystery.
It hasn't since, but it has established an unfortunate precedent.
Syl.

I was fishing Grand Lake Stream up in Maine a couple of years ago standing out in the middle of the wide open stream. Suddenly, my rod impacted something overhead that felt like a frozen turkey. Rod didn’t break, but that was one low flying heron and I’m sure he had sore ribs for a while. Just goes to show how easy it is to break a rod through no fault of your own!

Reactions: CRB
Almost 1 year into picking up fly fishing and ive broken one rod tip by accident. On the outing i took 2 rods, one for dries the other for nymphs, laid the dry rod down to tie on nymphs and stepped on the tip because i was looking for light to see my tippet. Would have been fine if i wasnt wearing cleats, but i knew i broke it the second i heard the snap because there were no sticks near me at the time.

Almost 1 year into picking up fly fishing and ive broken one rod tip by accident. On the outing i took 2 rods, one for dries the other for nymphs, laid the dry rod down to tie on nymphs and stepped on the tip because i was looking for light to see my tippet. Would have been fine if i wasnt wearing cleats, but i knew i broke it the second i heard the snap because there were no sticks near me at the time.
Just take one rod on the stream. Keep it simple.

Just take one rod on the stream. Keep it simple.
I do now, and this is a while after i broke that tip, i got stuck in an area between a creek and a path that was full of briars with a 9ft streamer rod and my 11ft euro rod. For now im just taking my euro rod with a different spool with reg fly line on it.

Back