Hike In, Fish Out

C

chrishanlon9301966

hello everyone! I have not been on the forum in many years, busy raising young people who are now on their own paths. So glad to see that it is as great as ever! I am looking for a location where I can hike in with my pack, fish for two or three hours, make lunch, and then fish for another three or four hours and hike out before dark. I am from Lancaster, but a 90 minute drive in whatever direction is just fine with me. Do any of you have any ideas? I drove up to Swatara State Park last week and some of the back waters (not trout run) seemed promising, but mapping access was a real challenge when I got home. Also, there are several very small streams that seem to tail up through the hills and possibly run through state game lands @ Elizabethtown Road (241). Have any of you battled through the brush up that way and fished those streams? I would be shocked if that water does not hold brook trout. Thanks for any advice! really appreciate all of you!

Last edited:
There is a bike path Lehigh Gorge Trail that runs from White Haven to Jim Thorpe about 25 miles +/-. It paralells the Lehigh River. You can Hike or Bike. Runs through some pretty scenic territory and the fishing isnt all that bad. Wild browns, stockies, hold overs and the occasional SMB in summer months.

Tip. Watch for FEW flows at White Haven <500 cfs. Much more than that makes fishing and wading all the more difficult.

Bring a wading staff and wear felt bottom boots.

Do not try to cross river. It gets deceptively deep and fast.

thanks so much!! in the process of finding a good pack, stove and tent as I write this -- I probably would only carry my hips -- not a chance taker -- too damn old -- thanks again tigereye ...

Lehigh Gorge trail is a great idea and offers the main river and several tribs that hold wild trout. I wouldn't consider the bike path as hiking but it is excellent on a bike as it's quite level whether you're going north or south. If you want traditional hiking, the tribs to the LR would offer that.

Thousands of publicly owned acres in the Gorge. Lots of room to explore and be away from civilization.

hi all -- I am also looking for places where I can hike in two or three miles and camp --

I will for sure post -- 100% -- just found a gregory pack, sierra designs single tent and sleeping pad for $125 -- gotta love that!

Check out Tuscarora SF, it's just under 2 hours from Lancaster.
Tuscarora SF
The Hemlocks Natural Area is pretty cool place to check out, my wife & I did a BP through there and it was well worth the trip.

The Tuscarora Trail maps also show the other trails in the SF that would get you into some hiking and fishing.
Trail Maps

Michaux SF would be another option for you too.

and X2 on posting a TR!
Cheers

Stony Creek, Dauphin County has a very long stretch of backcountry, walk in type fishing.

An old rr grade parallels the stream. No camping there, because it's in a state gameland.

Tuscarora SF
The Hemlocks Natural Area is pretty cool place to check out, my wife & I did a BP through there and it was well worth the trip.

The Tuscarora Trail maps also show the other trails in the SF that would get you into some hiking and fishing.
Trail Maps

and X2 on posting a TR!
Cheers

oh wow -- I think that is a bingo to get started for sure -- I hate four piece rods, but I picked up a new 10ft 4 wt a couple years ago as I always wanted to throw the brand and it was a new engineering design for them -- that thing is now going to come in very handy!

A longer drive for you, but Pennsylvania's elk country is about as scenic as it gets, with some fine wild trout waters to explore....

oh wow -- I think that is a bingo to get started for sure -- I hate four piece rods, but I picked up a new 10ft 4 wt a couple years ago as I always wanted to throw the brand and it was a new engineering design for them -- that thing is now going to come in very handy!
Tuscarora SF

Trail Maps

and X2 on posting a TR!
Cheers

This would be my exact suggestion, I’ve hiked and camped in both areas while fishing. Both pretty great areas but Tuscarora in Perry county is a place you can get lost in if that’s what you’re looking for.

Back