Harvesting chubs for chickens?

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

Now that I got your attention.... We've been raising chickens for about a year. We have 7 hens and one rooster. I'm always looking for cheap or free alternatives to feed them. The idea dawned on me that every time I'm out fishing I catch quite a few creek chubs. Why not keep them and toss them in to the chickens? From a quick online search the opinions vary greatly on feeding chickens raw fish. Bones seem to be the big topic of debate. If I can simply toss them in, it seems like a quick easy source of protein for them, but I'm not going to take the time to cook, prepare or debone them in any way. It just wouldn't be worth the effort.

I have no idea about the regs for this. I'd assume as long as you are within the regs for baitfish harvest, it would be okay to use them for feed(?). I would think that the average sized chub would be a bit large for a chicken to eat (but what do I know?).

Im not sure if the law changed but it use to be illegal to remove baitfish from approved trout waters.

I've had chickens for years and bottom line... chickens will eat just about anything.

Right now I don't have any because something got in and killed them all. But that is another story.

As far as the feed goes, I never skimped. I bought feed that uses no animal protein. One of the reasons for having chickens is that I could control what they ate so I produced higher quality eggs. Id buy eggs at the store before I'd buy cheap chicken feed.

In addition to that, I tossed a lot of free stuff in there.

Any leftover bread, crackers, etc got tossed to the chickens. salad that has begun to wilt, same thing with other veggies and fruit. Peelings from potatoes and carrots. Garden always produced way too many squash and cukes, I'd cut them in pieces or split them down the middle and toss them to the chickens.

I never realized how much they were getting until they were all dead. Now what do I do with this stuff?

I did not give them any animal protein unless grasshoppers count.;-) Fish is high in protein and might even be good for them, but I never even considered it. Excess animal protein went to the dogs. ;-)

In the summer, every time I went past the garden, the chickens would get something. Also had the orchard fenced off so they could work on any apples that fall. But more fell than they could handle.

Also would give them lawn clippings, but I don't use any pesticides on herbicides on my lawn.

Make friends with someone who brews his or her own beer. Take the spent grain and freeze it onto a block and give it to the chickens. They love it.

Unfortunately my beer making friend retired.

But they always had feed that they could work on as well.

Not sure if I will buy more birds this year. They are a pain in the butt and not cost effective. It's just that eggs they produced were so much better than I could buy anywhere else.

why didn't you feed them worms Dave--I am sure you Ohio types have them around when you want to actually catch fish...

Good info Dave!!! We do about the same as you. Nothing gets wasted between the dogs and the chickens.

According to the 2019 regulations, it looks like taking baitfish is allowed in Class A and Approved trout waters but prohibited in special regs areas. Daily limits are 50, with no size regulation.

It might make the eggs and meat taste fishy.

Chickens in the wild, before they were domesticated, probably had insects as a very large part of their diet.

But I doubt if they ate much fish.

So worms would make them taste wormy? Jest askin? GG

Think carp. Growing up, we had a dog that loved carp. My father filleted and cooked them for Tammy. A lot more bang for the buck vs. dinks.

I like the part in the video where the guy said they've had some storms and maybe the fished drowned.

pete41 wrote:
why didn't you feed them worms Dave--I am sure you Ohio types have them around when you want to actually catch fish...

Yea, those too, but I normally let them dig their own.

troutbert wrote:
It might make the eggs and meat taste fishy.

Chickens in the wild, before they were domesticated, probably had insects as a very large part of their diet.

But I doubt if they ate much fish.

Do the eggs you buy from the store taste fishy? Chances are, they feed used contained fish meal.

Fishmeal is ground, cooked and processed fish and fish byproducts. Supposedly it is actually good for the birds especially when they are molting. Not sure about raw fish, but probably doesn't hurt them.

This discussion reminds me of an old hen that we had that was almost completely blind. It could probably see shadows, but that was about it. Other than that, it was still quite healthy. I use a suspended feeder, and if it was swinging, the bird would peck in the general direction. Sometimes it would hit, sometimes it would miss. Just goes to show you that even a blind chicken finds ...

Funny but sad at the same time. But it did OK. She eventually died of old age.

I used to let the birds run loose during the day and this one used to stay near the chicken sedan (4 doors). One day, the blind hen wandered away from the hen-house and into the pasture, and one of the cows decided to investigate. The blind hen got all worked up and took of running. Fortunately it ran out of the pasture. Unfortunately it didn't stop and ran right into the pond.

Chickens don't swim very well, so I had to fish it out with a net.

Why do so many things taste like CHICKEN? Genetics? GG

Why just creek chubs. Any legal size limit and only keep your limit.

Raw freshwater fish has so many parasites,that i'd consider cooking them even for chicken feed.
you could just cook them whole,without cleaning them.

raw fish can mean salmonella.

Sounds like commercial freshwater fishing.

Back