Hardest Stream/River to Wade?

Lehigh River. Mods can just lock the thread.

In PA, there isn’t really a close second in terms of size/danger/gradient. Yough maybe, I guess.

Then after that IMO is a big drop off to streams like Penns, LJR, and BFC in their respective “Narrows” or “Gorge” sections. Outside of those areas they’re a lot more manageable.

If the Lehigh is a 10 in terms of wading difficulty, the Yough would be a 9. Then it would drop to like a 6 IMO for the above mentioned grouping of streams.

Small, steep streams can be dangerous too (like Black/Hayes mentioned above) but they’re much easier to stay out of and find ways around obstacles by keeping both of your feet on dry land.

In all of the above it’s important to recognize when flows are too high and unsafe. They’re all dangerous if you’re fishing them when it’s unsafe to do so.
Agree with you 100% n ur analysis.I fished a lot in South America for 10 years when I lived and traveled and fished from the Orinoco(Venezuela) all the way to the Patagonia.Nothing comes close to the LR.For whatever reason it is highly deceptive visually....and it has a strong"push" even at lower flows IMO

Alot of mention the Lehigh. It's my home water and deserves alot of respect. Fishing that river since 1967. Take your time and don't push your luck and you'll be fine.

That said, though much easier to wade, my most horrifying experience was the on the Lackawaxen. I waded 50-60ft across a knee deep sandbar to fish the opposite bank. Around noon one, day my buddy called me back to the bank to have lunch. I wasn't out of the water 2 minutes when the water level rose about 2 feet in a matter of minutes. Where I was standing, fishing, would easily have been 4 foot + and rushing. Not to mention all the debris and large branches floating down. Had I not come out when I did, there is no doubt I would have had to ditch the rod, kick off the waders, and hopefully swim to shore in very cold water. As close as I ever want to come
+1 for the Lackawaxen, my home water....surprised it took so long for someone to mention it. Even at low flows, it's a tough river to wade and I would never step a foot in it without my wading staff. Lots of really deep holes, greasy rocks, etc. ....and then there is that dam release without warning thing....

Also agree with the Neversink in the gorge. Similar in alot of ways to the Lackawaxen - deep holes, ankle busting rocks, etc. - with the added bonus of having to hike in and being out of cell range.....

+1 for the Lackawaxen, my home water....surprised it took so long for someone to mention it. Even at low flows, it's a tough river to wade and I would never step a foot in it without my wading staff. Lots of really deep holes, greasy rocks, etc. ....and then there is that dam release without warning thing....

Also agree with the Neversink in the gorge. Similar in alot of ways to the Lackawaxen - deep holes, ankle busting rocks, etc. - with the added bonus of having to hike in and being out of cell range.....
+2 on the Lackawaxen, everything you said and I find it just as bad above Wallenpaupack. Its still on the smaller side of big with deceptive currents and slippery rock.

I've only fished the LR a handful of times but its a bear as well.

Then there is the Delaware main stem.....

I have switched from felt to rubber and put in tungsten studs. These boots are the best for slippery rocks and make all these places you mentioned so much easier to wade.

Hardest to Wade: Letort and all the spring creeks for the sake of catching fish. You can't most of the time.

+2 on the Lackawaxen, everything you said and I find it just as bad above Wallenpaupack. Its still on the smaller side of big with deceptive currents and slippery rock.

I've only fished the LR a handful of times but its a bear as well.

Then there is the Delaware main stem.....
I'll add my +3 for the Lackawaxen. My fave place, but at 5'5" I find that some of the most productive spots for me are past my wader belt while still within 10' of land. Add to that the boulders, and it's a dangerous place that needs vigilance.
Mike B

As a certified, card holding klutz, it's whatever stream I'm wading at the time. I tripped and broke my aluminum telescopic wading staff today on Mountain creek. Looks like I'll be repurposing a broom handle until I buy another. 😁

No doubt, hands down whether in the east or west. It’s the Ausable in upstate NY.
Those tannic rivers up there with huge boulders you can't see even just a few inches under the water are a bear. I'll throw the St Regis in too. A day wading on those feels like a prize fight

I have switched from felt to rubber and put in tungsten studs. These boots are the best for slippery rocks and make all these places you mentioned so much easier to wade.

Hardest to Wade: Letort and all the spring creeks for the sake of catching fish. You can't most of the time.

I've used brand new felts with carbide tipped studs in the Lehigh. Makes zero difference BTW.

I don't think the studs alone work well on the Lehigh as most of the rocks are round and there are not that many points of contact (surface area)between your foot and a rock when wearing them. I find felt much better.

To the contrary, they (studs) work amazing on rivers with alot of flat shale rock on the bottom such as Salmon River NY.

On the Lehigh, I find that studs actually make traction worse. The predominant type of rock in the river must be super hard (and well polished) and the studs don't bite - they just slide. Plain felts are better, but only relatively.

The best thing for the Lehigh are foot tractor aluminum bars, absolutely amazing. I forget and hop out of the boat in my felts and can hardly stand up, haha

Lehigh, Lackawaxen, Brodhead will get no arguments from me. I own felt solely for those three :)

Lehigh, Lackawaxen, Brodhead will get no arguments from me. I own felt solely for those three :)

I had forgotten about Broadhead. Good call, that one’s tough. I’d put that above the grouping of Penns/Little J/BFC, but below Lehigh and Yough.

North Umpqua. Extremely slick. Nothing in PA has been nearly as difficult to wade.

I think I'd have to vote for the Savage and the North Branch of the Potomac. Everything seems to be rounded and greasy. Both are definitely a bear to wade.

I’ll go with Slippery Rock Creek since it bears the name and is only a 10 min drive. As a kid I watched a white water race event there that drew participants as far as West Germany. The gorge area is totally unwadeable. Many people have drowned there.

I’ve never fished the Lehigh but it seems like the leader based on my quick glance.

I’ll go with Slippery Rock Creek since it bears the name and is only a 10 min drive. As a kid I watched a white water race event there that drew participants as far as West Germany. The gorge area is totally unwadeable. Many people have drowned there.

I’ve never fished the Lehigh but it seems like the leader based on my quick glance.
The gorge demands a lot of respect. I got stuck on a boulder mid-stream during the whiteflies that I rock hopped to from the bank. Long short, I waited too long to come back to the bank and couldn't see. Some friends came looking for me eventually.

Back