Griffiths Gnat

jwatts

jwatts

Hi guys,im looking to tie up some griffiths gnats in anywhere between #18-#20 Lookin for some info on whats the best to use and what type of hooks i should get? Thank you

Use Tiemco 100 series hooks. Black thread. Get nice strung or loose peacock herl and you will need grizzly hackle. That's basically it. Do a YouTube search and I'm sure you'll find videos showing you how to tie them. They are very easy to tie.

+1 on Tiempco 100. I also tie them with an ostrich herl body although I doubt one could still call it a griffiths gnat. Really like a brown body with Cree hackle.

+2 on hook!

JH

Nah. You need the TMC 101 or you won't catch fish (that there is a joke).

Check this out for a great tutorial: Craven Griffith Gnat

Do any of you guys ever tie in a trailing shuck? I got a tip to try tying them way and I was wondering your experiences.

FT, until you told us you were joking, I thought you had figgered out my problem! :-D

Fox, I would have to figure out my own problems first!
On the trailing shuck, i don't think anyone would claim to know what a GG imitates, but I always think of it as a midge cluster, From what I have read, there is some debate on whether or not midges actually cluster, but if they do it is probably a post-mating behavior. So, making a huge leap in logic, I would think that a midge emerger would be a better choice if you think the fish are taking midges and ignoring the GG. On the other hand, it couldn't hurt to try.

I remember some agreement on here a few years ago about using goose biot for a trailing shuck, I think white. I never tied any up that way so I can't say it makes a diff. Heck I've yet to catch a fish on a GG. Then again I never think to tie one on.

LL, the GG (although since I can't spell I've been calling it a GN, LOL) is an awesome fly. Believe it or not, it is incredibly easy to see and it is a producer for me. I'm surprised being a Little Lehigh guy that you have never caught one there on the GG (not GN)

Orvis big eye hook for anything smaller than 20 for me

I catch a ton of fish every year on GG. Mine are mostly sizes 20-22. I need some smaller ones though. They're an easy tie and fish love them, can't go wrong.

Agreed on the 20-22 size. You can pretty much use them for any type of hatch coming off and have some success as long as the size is right. I've fished them through BWO and Caddis hatches and caught fish.

Last weekend a buddy of mine tied up some with brown hackle and the fish were taking them for caddis.

Back