Great Budget Action Camera - AKASO Brave 7 LE + GIVEAWAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly often on Paflyfish, a thread starts up in the forum about what’s the best camera to use while fly fishing. Many traditional cameras are often suggested and I have gone through my share of high-end to smartphone cameras while on the water. I even tried an action camera several years ago. Everyone has their requirements, but I recently have had a chance to try out the AKASO Brave 7 LE and offer some ideas on how it may be a fit for anglers. AKASO approached me about a review but did not ask for any conditions on what I could say about the product.

Anglers are looking for several things when it comes to using a camera on the stream. Most importantly we need something waterproof, on the small side, convenient, affordable, and fast to capture an image. With all the gear we are lugging around it can be cumbersome to add another item to our vest, bag, or hanging around our neck. All cameras offer challenges to meeting our needs and then providing easy access to capturing a picture of that awesome wild brook trout we want to share with others. I know I feel like a juggler managing the net, trout, rod, camera to capture the image at just the right angle.

I have used many different cameras and failed more than once. Some experiences are better than others. My favorite was taking a picture of a real nice brown on Penns Creek last spring with my iPhone, falling into the water while still holding the fish and dropping the phone. Nice! But I have dropped my phone in a stream before, so I’m getting pretty good at the mistake.

The AKASO Brave 7 LE offers some nice features to consider in lieu of a traditional camera or iPhone. Functionality includes: 4k video, camera, time-lapse, slow motion, still burst, driving mode, 6 axis stabilization, smartphone remote control, and a variety of video resolutions and frame rates.

The camera has a built-in microphone, water-resistant IPX7 (without a case to 1 meter), front screen, back touch screen, bottom thread mount, and interfaces for HDMI and USB.

With the camera, AKASO provides a lot of extras you would have to normally purchase separately: a wrist remote controller, deeper water case, two batteries, charger, USB cable, many mounts, and straps. The unit and mounts are compatible with most all GoPro mounting accessories.

I think the last feature and the best is the price which currently is at $139 on Amazon.
Compared to other higher-end action cameras in this space, it has most if not all the same features. The cons might be some aspects of the audio quality and low light compared to those higher-end brands. But for the features, accessories, and price, it’s a no-brainer.

I have included a few sample media and images below.

There are a few ways an angler could use an action camera on the stream. If you want to capture videos while catching lots of fish, a head or chest mount might work well. The AKASO Brave 7 LE is a very viable option using the remote wrist controller. You simply start the video or take a snapshot by activating one of the buttons on the controller. This works well but will take some practice to know the direction of the camera while it may be on your head.

The action camera can be attached to a longer zinger or lanyard to give you easy access in and out of your pocket or storage area. I kept mine around my neck and had easy access to it stuffed inside my jacket. A simple 6” tripod can be used for images shot from the bank. If you like to capture underwater images, an optional selfie stick offers another angle of view.

Offloading images can be done wirelessly to your smartphone instantly using the AKASO GO App or directly to your computer.

Capturing images is not a thing for everyone, but for those that do enjoy the option, I highly recommend the AKASO Brave 7 LE to consider for its affordability and flexibility. Plus I think these would make a great addition to your other activities or with a family on vacation.

No matter what the device, you will have to put some time into learning how to operate it and some basic videography skills. But don’t be afraid to have some fun. To learn more you can go to the official web page for the AKASO Brave 7 LE.

I have asked AKASO to help support the 25th Anniversary of Paflyfish and I will be offering a giveaway of one Brave 7 LE from AKASO to a member in the forum. This a free chance to win one of these fun action cameras. To be eligible to win, simply post in the thread AKASO Brave 7 LE Review in the Gear Talk Forum, “I’m In”. If you enter other text you will be disqualified. The thread will be locked and entries will be closed Sunday, February 21, 2021, at or near 10:00 PM. I will then draw a random number, it will be correlated to the post number and the winner will be announced on Monday, February 22, 2021. No multiple entries will be permitted and you must respond to my email with 24 hours if you win. If you do not reply by 8:00 pm February 23, 2021, another number be well-drawn and the process repeated. AKASO will be directly sending you the action camera. Moderators will not be able to enter. USA residents only. Paflyfish has the right to change any and all of the rules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back