Great American Outdoor Show

Real FFing purists ONLY have FFing clothes. I mean that literally. That’s how you can tell the difference. Wedding, funeral, job interview, fancy dinner, Chinese food run, lounging around the house, Christmas morning opening presents, whatever, it doesn’t matter, they’re wearing quick dry pants, and a vented back collared shirt or a thin tech hoodie (with the hood up, regardless of weather conditions or whether they’re inside). This is not by choice. Well not exactly by choice, but because it’s all they own. (If you read this and suspect I’m talking about you, then I am.)

The main issue I have with this lifestyle choice is the stank. All of my synthetic fishing clothes eventually develop a funk to them. Part the material choice, part me pouring sweat in them all day, and part fish are just smelly. The wearer becomes oblivious to it, but the rest of the world doesn’t. And most of the crowd that fits this bill doesn’t separate their fishing themed clothes for fishing, from their fishing themed clothes for activities other than fishing. They’re just “clothes”.

I still have jeans, golf quarter zips and polos I wear to work, and actual sweatpants (not the kind designed to go under waders with the loops at the heels). But, it’s pretty well known I’m a spincaster.

Last edited:
Real FFing purists ONLY have FFing clothes. I mean that literally. That’s how you can tell the difference. Wedding, funeral, job interview, fancy dinner, Chinese food run, lounging around the house, Christmas morning opening presents, whatever, it doesn’t matter, they’re wearing quick dry pants, and a vented back collared shirt or a thin tech hoodie (with the hood up, regardless of weather conditions or whether they’re inside). This is not by choice. Well not exactly by choice, but because it’s all they own. (If you read this and suspect I’m talking about you, then I am.)

The main issue I have with this lifestyle choice is the stank. All of my synthetic fishing clothes eventually develop a funk to them. Part the material choice, part me pouring sweat in them all day, and part fish are just smelly. The wearer becomes oblivious to it, but the rest of the world doesn’t. And most of the crowd that fits this bill doesn’t separate their fishing themed clothes for fishing, from their fishing themed clothes for activities other than fishing. They’re just “clothes”.

I still have jeans, golf quarter zips and polos I wear to work, and actual sweatpants (not the kind designed to go under waders with the loops at the heels). But, it’s pretty well known I’m a spincaster.
I actually walk around with my sling pack with net and fly rod tube on my person at all times. People gotta now what I'm about.

Had my best (and first) fly rod casting instruction at the Outdoor Show. Frank Angelo at the casting pond. That was more than a few years ago.

Steve

Do you mean the fly fishing show, which has casting ponds?

Or do you mean the lesson was at the "Hawg Tank"? Which is what the outdoor show has, lmao.

Do you mean the fly fishing show, which has casting ponds?

Or do you mean the lesson was at the "Hawg Tank"? Which is what the outdoor show has, lmao.
There use to be a casting area, I think it was in the small arena. Different guys would show casting techniques. That was long before the NRA took over the show.

Steve

Did you happen to run across Bridgette Fable of ”Chunky Trout Outfitters” there? She is a ”guide” from Utah who is somewhat YouTube famous for posting fishing videos in skimpy clothes.

I had the misfortune of booking with her on a family trip to Utah a few years back. I did t have gear with me and just wanted to get out to fish for a day, so I booked with her as she was the only guide in the area. Worst friggen excuse for a guide in the industry bar none! She had me meet her at her home. I show up on time, she’s asleep. I wait for her to get ready, then we have to feed her damn chickens. We go to a small pond sized lake to float tube for tiger trout for a few hours then head to a tailwater. She had neglected to check to see that the dam outflow was cut off a week prior and the tailwater stream was no longer receiving any water. There were literally hundreds of dead and rotting fish there, the smell was awful… Instead of apologizing and taking me somewhere else, she wanted me to cast into puddle sized pools for half dead fish gasping for air. When I objected and said that’s horrible sportsmanship, she got pissed and stormed off to her truck and didn’t speak to me the rest of the day. We went home a couple hours short of what I booked, and she offered no apology or refund. She was so insistent that I catch a splake or tiger from those puddles for her to post on Instagram, I think I really hurt her feelings by refusing.

Falling in every now and then reduces but doesn't eliminate the stinky.

Yup, those folks are the Yin. The camo batallion with camo hats, shirts, belts, boots, and furniture a d key chains are the Yang.

An aside. Why would anyone buy a
camo knife. What is the purpose?
The knife is kept in a pack or
pocket and used for gutting a
deer. Dead deer cant see it.
Place it on the ground or drop it,
neither can you. I wonder how
many camo knives are lost each
year?

I attended the show about 15 years ago. Not impressed.

My son wanted to go last year to browse around, and i went to shoulder some trap guns. Came home with Covid. Thankfully nothing more than a drippy nose and fatigue.

Back