Getting started tying

C

Cory1228

I'd like to start tying flys, and want to see what the most efficient way to start acquiring materials, tools, etc. I've been watching craigslist and marketplace for someone that's selling their stuff as a lot, but not sure if this is the best way. Am I better off just buying what I need? If so what should I start off with. I'll probably start off with nymphs, buggers, and attractors to start. I fish mostly stocked streams, but am starting to hit some of the PA wild trout streams. Thanks

The best way is to find a mentor at a local fly shop or Trout Unlimited Chapter who will show you what they use and make suggestions. After that, start researching what they suggest BEFORE buying anything so you only buy once.

At minimum the tools you will need:

A vise​
Two pair of scissors (one for fine work & one for coarse)​
A bobbin to hold thread​
A dubbing needle or bodkin​
If you can't figure out how to do whip finish by hand, a whip finishing tool​

As far as materials go, buy what you need to tie the flies you plan to create and I would start with the material for ONE fly first before moving on to the second so you don't get overwhelmed.

You'll get a ton of other suggestions but the best single piece of advice I can give you is take SMALL bites and you won't end up with a bunch of junk you cant use.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
If you get a good deal it might be worth it, but often you get many things you don't need and when it comes to feathers many of the better ones have been picked out. I got a kit (hah, 45 years ago) and acquired materials as I learned to tie more flies. The kit got me started and I think I still have two of the tools in my collection. I'm bad at doing this, but don't buy redundant materials. What I mean by that buying one specific material for a single pattern when you have an excellent substitute on hand.

Reactions: CRB
At some point in time, we purchased a basic fly-tying kit for each of our three boys for Christmas or birthdays.
Kits can be purchased at most tackle retailers either for a specific fly or for a dozen different flies. Since you're just starting out, I recommend using the basic stuff, before heading into premium material territory.
One of the basic kits offered online for ~$70 has materials like this one:

Here is how I learned about 15 years ago.

1. Went to fly shop. Guy sold me a basic Thompson style vise, a decent pair of scissors, bobbin holder and whip finisher. Sold me hooks and materials to tie black and olive buggers in size 8. Also a Dave Hughes book about tying.

2. I tied a couple from the book instructions. Got very frustrated and gave up.

3. About a year later I discovered this YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/@tightlinevideo . It was a game changer for me.

4. Got obsessed and spent lots of money.

Good luck!

here is something i wrote a while ago

I've gone the second-hand route on occasion, but you definitely end up with some materials you don't really need / some lower quality items in the deal. If you can get stuff dirt cheap when people are just clearing house, it can still be worth it.

I would avoid the sellers that are calculating the value of their lot at $894.73 by considering the actual price paid and sentimental value of every item. You're going to overpay and get at least some stuff you'll probably never use with that situation.

Do any of your local TUs or other outdoors organizations hold yearly flea markets? Once you've decided on a handful of patterns / a list of materials you want to start with, those events can be a great cheap option.

i started tying from a kit i got as a present. it had the tools needed, a vise, and some material to make a few different flies. it got me off to good start and then i branched out from the kit. also nowadys there are 100s of tying videos on youtube. take it one step at a time and then pause the video. then continue.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to pick a pattern or two and put a list together. I did get a small box if stuff from my uncle. I'll look through there and see what I already have.

Cory1228:

If it makes you feel any better, all I had and used for a LONG, LONG time was the tool list I posted above.

I added some other stuff along the way as I needed it but it is only in the last 15 or so years that I splurged on even new scissors.

Materials are trickier to manage but one thing I can HEARTILY recommend is to NOT feel that the material list for a fly is absolute. In other words, substituting different materials, a different hook, thread, etc. is perfectly OK unless you are tying specific flies for show or sale and I know you aren't doing that... ;)

Also if you don't hunt, ask you friends who do for stuff. I was lucky enough to work with furriers at one time and they were always a source for fur scraps at no charge. You can also find a lifetime of fur & stuff at flea markets or hunting & fishing shows.

Finally, craft stores like Michael's or JoAnn & even Walmart are a source for all kinds of goodies in larger quantities, sometime even cheaper than fly shop stuff.

Have fun!!

Last edited:
I learned a few years ago and would do it differently now. Should've went to one of the fly tying nights that some of the clubs host. It probably would have shortened the learning curve a little bit.

I am self taught. I learned from books and even today I rarely watch a tying video. After becoming a decent tier I did take a intermediate fly tying class at The Evening Hatch fly shop taught by Ken Meade. The classes (five) were really good. I could see many of the tiers in the class gaining confidence as the classes progressed. Well.worth the cost ... it was 20.00 a class at the time. They probably still do classes. They do private, 1 on 1 also.

Last edited:
If at all possible, take a class or have a tier show you some things. You’ll save a lot of time. Once you learn to tie a generic nymph like a Hare’s Ear, you can pretty much tie any nymph. Most nymphs, wet flies, streamers and mayfly dries all have a basic principle so that once you learn to tie one , you can tie most of the flies you will use. Junk flies like Green Weenies, Sucker Spawn and Honey Bugs are easy to tie and many times can save the day. The best tip I can give is watch your proportions and don’t crowd the eye of the hook. You can tie a size 16 fly on a size 14 hook using the proper proportions.

My humble opinion as a longtime beginner. Time to tear down the fly tying myths. Tying flies is not difficult. Learning to tie flies does not take a lifetime. Tying flies does not require a TU membership, a mentor, or classes. It doesn’t require expensive tools or a lot of tools or a roomful of material. All it takes is some doing. This of course doesn’t mean you can’t do all of those things if you want to. They are just not necessary.

The absolute hardest part is getting started, so just jump in without another thought. Get a vise, a bobbin, a single pair of scissors, hackle pliers and a whip finisher and start tying. Pick a pattern, say a wooly bugger and buy the materials. Then pick another pattern like a Pheasant tail nymph and get the materials for that. Repeat this as many times as necessary. Very soon you will have a bunch of material that can be used in a bunch of other patterns.

I would not start out by buying somebody else’s used leftovers. It’s simply not that expensive starting out if you take one step at a time. Good luck and enjoy.

I looked through what I have and it sounds like my tools are pretty much covered. The vise is pretty poor, but I'll try it and see how it goes. I also have a full book of dubbing with almost 40 different colors. Also have some threads and floss, some body materials, and tinsel. Sounds like I shouldn't need too much more to get me started. I live in landisville, so I'll try and visit precision fly and tackle in Lancaster and talk to them as well.

What brand hooks are you guys using? Is Amazon a good resource, or are these budget hooks junk?

Check one of the other recent Threads: "Hooks for dry flies"

Check one of the other recent Threads: "Hooks for dry flies"
Cory1228:

Like 6xAdams is alluding to, the SEARCH function on PAFF is your friend because we have beaten every fly tying, fly fishing and every OTHER topic to death on PAFF including what to wear, eat drink & drive. ;)

What brand hooks are you guys using? Is Amazon a good resource, or are these budget hooks junk?

Are you going to use traditional barbed hooks or barbless?

One thing that pays to invest in, is a good bobbin holder. Ceramic tipped ones are handy .

Are you going to use traditional barbed hooks or barbless?

One thing that pays to invest in, is a good bobbin holder. Ceramic tipped ones are handy .
I prefer barbed hooks. I tend to lose alot more fish with barbless. I know that's probably my fault tho and not the hook.

Back