Free Weekends in the National Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised at how few voted parents...at least in the early stages of the voting. I would expect parents to have the greatest influence.
I didn't vote parent either, though. While I certainly learned how to fish from my father, my grandfather is the one who got the long rod in my hands.

Last edited:
rscheckler
Same here as well. I think it also helped that since my grandfather was retired he had more time to spend with me on the water.

Last edited:
YorkFlyGuy
My dad of course taught me the way of the spinning rod, but it was my uncle who is now a FF nut that has helped me learn what I know. Perhaps I should try to spend more time with him, because what I know is limited. It is all thanks to our long weekend each year around Hickory Run SP.

Last edited:
JakesLeakyWaders
I bought my first flyrod about when I had gotten my license to drive. No one else I knew fly fished so I learned from books. And then my girlfriend in highschool had an uncle, Smiley, and we would drive over to the Delaware in his old Subaru wagon. I remember one night we were on a beautiful stream and a hatch was on. The water was gin clear and moon was full, so we stayed and fished awhile and I remember the moon was so bright you could still see the trout swimming above the bottom in two or three feet of water. I'd like to see that again.

Last edited:
tomgamber
I got my dad into fly fishing...

Last edited:
flyfishermanj
As a kid my family fished together. We would spend weekends fishing with bait and spinners on the Yough, didn't pick up a flyrod until "95". My brother was the one that got me interested in it.

JH

Last edited:
albatross
I got interested from articles in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life in the 1970s. At age 12 I bought my first flyrod, an Eagle Claw kit, from the local hardware store. I did catch some trout on that rod including two memorable cutthroats from the Yellowstone River when I was 14. All self taught. I lost that rod in college and didn't seriously get back to flyfishing untill I started planning a family trip to Yellowstone in 2005.

Last edited:
MKern
I started on my own after my unsettling experiences hunting.

Last edited:
V
My dad never fished. My grandfather got me into fishing. A teacher I had in middle school got me started in fly tying and fly fishing.

Last edited:
T
My family always looked at fishing and hunting in any form as something to avoid...guess they weren't introduced to it? Ironic, considering I grew up on a dirt road on the side of a mountain near the west branch AuSable...

When my girlfriend and myself realized we'd be moving to PA I read up on activities and thought we should give fly fishing a shot since it seemed so prevalent in the state. I made the suggestion to her and it turned out she already knew how, so her eyes lit up at the suggestion.

Now whenever we talk about fishing with my folks they just roll their eyes...kind of the same reaction I have when they start telling stories about my sister's kids' love of pop culture, lol.

Last edited:
ryguyfi
I look back and really have no clue why I bought a fly rod a few years back. My dad took me fishing for the first time when I was 9 and I remember catching a bunch of blue gills. I fished here and there as a kid, and then one day, about a month or two before my birthday I decided I wanted to try fly fishing. I didn't just watch "the movie" or read an outdoor magazine, or see someone do it... it was just a random thought. I got some gift certificates, and had to ask the guy at Dick's to get me everything I need... had no clue what size rod, what backing, fly line, leader, tippet, etc was. I had no mentor, or any clue how to fly fish. I specifically remember the spot where I caught my first 2 fish, and was extatic... I bought Charles Meck's book soon after that and joined this site.... besides fishing with my one pastor, I have learned everything I know from trial and error, many hours of research, and ALL OF YOU ON THIS BOARD!

I have since introduced 4 people to the sport... my father in law, brother in law, and 2 guys last weekend in Erie from my church. I have my own little entourage following me and learning my every move lol. I really enjoy passing on my knowledge now and spreading my love of this wonderful sport!

Last edited:
FarmerDave
I think "after watching the movie" should be added to the choices.

that's not how I got started, but I'm just sayin... :-D

Last edited:
G
I credit my father with starting me in fishing and maybe fly fishing. You make the call.

My initial experience with fly fishing was more or less an accident that was created by my father. He was part of a hunting camp located along Kettle Creek. He didn't fish but I guess he figured he would give it a try and bought a bunch of fishing equipment when Two Guys Department store went out of business. Not knowing anything he wound up with three fly rods and one spinning rod. We used the fly rods for worms and corn. Then one day a neighbor (I don't even know his name) of our camp took a few minutes to show me how to cast. I believe I was 10 or 11 at the time. I tried it a little but went to spinning rods until I was in my late twenties when I bought a rod building kit from Orvis to replace that old glass southbend which still hangs on my wall. It was all the reading of outdoor magazines supplied by my father that got me interested in all facets of fishing. So, I'd have to say he started me even if it was unintentional. I learned all my beginning casting from books/magazines (except that one early lesson).

Now, I have two grandsons who will answer this question one day by saying Pop Pop got me started. That's what grandparents are for. In general we simply have more time. Parents are involved in activities like attending college, coaching, fund rasing, school affairs and making a living. I wish I would've had more time for fishing with my kids when they were younger. But I'm here to make sure that my grandkids get plenty of time on the water.

Last edited:
DaveKile
America’s Fun Ideas – the national parks – gets even better this summer with three fee-free weekends at more than 100 national parks that usually charge entrance fees.

Mark your calendars for fee-free weekends this summer:

* June 20-21, 2009 (Father’s Day weekend)
* July 18-19, 2009
* August 15-16, 2009

And to make the fun even more affordable, many national park concessioners are joining the National Park Service in welcoming visitors on this summer’s fee free weekends with the their own special offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back