Fly movement with a dry on a dropper

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I often use this technique to mimic movement of a fly (caddis and sometimes mayflies or stoneflies) by tying a dry to a dropper and tying on a small weighted fly on the point to manipulate the dry on the surface.

It really works!

The video has some great shots of trout going crazy over this rig >

Last edited:
That’s really cool! I’ve danced caddis dries by themselves and had good success. I like the weighted bead head. It gives the caddis a quicker drop on the water and looks like you can control the dry easier. Definitely going to try this out this spring.

I have tried this for a few minutes at a time but never had results like that.
I have frequently found that a dry-dropper rig will apparently impart a tantalizing motion to the dry fly. I discovered that was happening because if I was catching everything on the dry fly, I would cut off the dropper nymph and found that the dry fly became significantly less effective.

Yo Tom - thanks for posting this. I've actually thought of doing this but never got around to it. However, what do you think Leonard Wright would have thought of this? His book about The Sudden Inch has influenced me a lot. Sometimes I even give midges a little skitter to induce a strike.

Awesome! Thanks for posting. I have a certain river in mind to give this a try.

Yo Tom - thanks for posting this. I've actually thought of doing this but never got around to it. However, what do you think Leonard Wright would have thought of this? His book about The Sudden Inch has influenced me a lot. Sometimes I even give midges a little skitter to induce a strike.
I use a dry-dropper rig quite often and have used this technique for a long time.

At times it is an unbelievably effective way to vacuum out the trouts on top, especially when egg-laying caddis are on the surface or when active mayflies or stoneflies are skittering about.

Hey Les, you do know you have to tie on a nymph to fish it, though......:p

Cool video and great shots. Similar to old school wet fly technique of having a heavy anchor fly at point and bouncing the top dropper. Dry fly looks like it bounces better than a wet.

Back