Flies Fouling

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

I want to pick folks' brains a bit about strategies for tying streamers to avoid flies fouling when casting.

I recently posted this fly, which worked well (until it was lost on a log), and I have been playing with various iterations of it:

Smelt

The fish liked the pattern all weekend, but it fouls a good deal and I am spending a lot of time adjusting the flies.

I have similar experiences with say, sand eels, tied like this:

Sand eel

I'm more looking for general rules of thumb to consider than specific solutions for these two patterns. I've done some experimenting over the last week with tying the longer materials as a tail and then a dubbing loop body and a shorter length of similar materials at the head (so sort of a two part body), but I am still not getting the head-length quite right to keep it from wrapping under. ( I wish I had a pic of these attempts to clarify, but I was just churning through a handful of variations to test and didn't bother to take photos.)

Is a short shank hook going to be better? Is there a point at which, counterintuitively, longer materials will actually avoid fouling by being too long to wrap around the hookpoint? What guidelines do you follow when you're tying?

Thanks!

I may be able to help. Use a hook with a longer shank (streamer hook) and tie the fly in a classic streamer style, like a mickey finn or black nosed dace. You can also try a tying the same size fly on larger hook.

Also at fault may be your casting style. Make sure your line stays in one plane. Picture yourself casting in a narrow hallway to get the proper stroke.

Nice fly BTW.

Back