First Saltwater Fish on the Fly

N

NittanyBearcat

I’m at Ocean City Maryland with the family for a few days. The wife gave me the go ahead to bring my fly fishing gear and fish as long as I didn’t wake her and my son up in the morning (neither are morning people haha).

This morning I set out to the bay side of ocean city Maryland for my first ever saltwater fly fishing trip. Beginners luck must have kicked in because I got a nice speckled trout (sea trout) on my second cast! Using a chartreuse and white deceiver.
6540301A BEF2 41DF 90E2 77E603FE041A
DDE85750 F8FA 49B4 95B3 947AD9770C6B
4B2FEF96 6A37 49C2 BDD2 B1AE59959265
04A4CF92 6E35 4735 8AFF 715DE72491EF
FEFFF5D0 5956 43BA 96F8 3AAD88021196

Last edited:
I grew up fishing for weakfish pre crash, they are my favorite saltwater species. There was just an amazing article in north american fly fishermen magazine called “ghosts of capemay” about their collapse and where to fish for them now. Hope they rebound their a wonderful native species.

I’m at Ocean City Maryland with the family for a few days. The wife gave me the go ahead to bring my fly fishing gear and fish as long as I didn’t wake her and my son up in the morning (neither ate morning people haha).

This morning I set out to the bay side of ocean city Maryland for my first ever saltwater fly fishing trip. Beginners luck must have kicked in because I got a nice speckled trout (sea trout) on my second cast! Using a chartreuse and white deceiver. View attachment 1641230925View attachment 1641230926View attachment 1641230927View attachment 1641230928View attachment 1641230929
Hope you got some pink and white clousers!

Northside park... drops off pretty good off to the right at the end of the pier. Excellent kayak fishing spot. Lots of croaker, spot, oysterfish, and small blues there so a speck is a nice surprise!

Go to corsens inlet for more of those big beautiful weakfish
Just to clarify for those less familiar with Corson’s, it is in NJ separating the south end of Ocean City from Strathmere.

I’m at Ocean City Maryland with the family for a few days. The wife gave me the go ahead to bring my fly fishing gear and fish as long as I didn’t wake her and my son up in the morning (neither are morning people haha).

This morning I set out to the bay side of ocean city Maryland for my first ever saltwater fly fishing trip. Beginners luck must have kicked in because I got a nice speckled trout (sea trout) on my second cast! Using a chartreuse and white deceiver. View attachment 1641230925View attachment 1641230926View attachment 1641230927View attachment 1641230928View attachment 1641230929
Congrats. I believe that is the first decent size marine fish I have seen displayed on this Board that has been caught on a fly.

I am going to Costa Rica for a family vacation in July. I hope to catch something on my fly rod from the shore.

I grew up fishing for weakfish pre crash, they are my favorite saltwater species. There was just an amazing article in north american fly fishermen magazine called “ghosts of capemay” about their collapse and where to fish for them now. Hope they rebound their a wonderful native species.
I remember back in the 70's and 80's, when every summer there would be a run of BIG weakfish in the Delaware Bay. Many of them in the 10lb+ range! Sadly, those days are gone.

I remember back in the 70's and 80's, when every summer there would be a run of BIG weakfish in the Delaware Bay. Many of them in the 10lb+ range! Sadly, those days are gone.
I remember that in in the 90’s. Id ride my bike from our hotel every summer down to the concrete ship in cape may and fish he finger jettys and clan up. One night I caught and released around 70 weakfish, hey were thick. Caught some 5-6 lbers lost a few much bigger ones to the rocks and razor sharp barnacles.

Go for roosters man, also in land go for Machka but bring wire leader and don’t die by crocodile.
I’d love to spend the entire trip chasing saltwater species. But because this is a family vacation, I suspect my opportunities will be limited to early morning and evening casting from the beach when the rest of the family is still sleeping or swimming.

I will avoid crocodiles and snakes like the plague.

I’d love to spend the entire trip chasing saltwater species. But because this is a family vacation, I suspect my opportunities will be limited to early morning and evening casting from the beach when the rest of the family is still sleeping or swimming.

I will avoid crocodiles and snakes like the plague.
Look for cones of crusing roosters herding bait early in AM. Are you staying in a resort or just a hotel?

Look for cones of crusing roosters herding bait early in AM. Are you staying in a resort or just a hotel?
My in-laws have rented a beach house for the week. I think it’s affiliated with a resort as well.

My in-laws have rented a beach house for the week. I think it’s affiliated with a resort as well.
If the ex pat who owns gringo burrito is still there in playa negra get some breakfast there. Vet anyone who says they “run tours” or are a “guide” online or through resort, ask about safe areas ect. You will have fun! Enjoy

Try Stinky beach in O.C.. I do pretty well there sometimes. But hit it early.

Back