Fallfish

Baron

Baron

I've often cut these for Catfish bait and thought how yummy they look:

https://www.onthewater.com/life-gives-fallfish-make-fish-cakes

Yes indeed, something I’ve meant to try my whole life but haven’t. Used to see people fish for them years ago. February and March.

Takes an awful lot of ingredients on that list to get a Fallfish to taste good. I can make just 4 work for Trout...butter, onion, lemon, Cajun seasoning. Or, just two if we’re talking Gemmies...flour, peanut oil. :p

Fallfish are fun to catch though. I never mind hooking into one when WW fishing. They’re fun fish, and take dries readily. It’s common to catch them rising on Penns, right amongst the Browns.

I've been meaning to try eating some of these different fish for a while. I catch a fair amount of Fallfish and they are usually in water that is at least halfway clean. Pretty fish, like a mini tarpon.

Apparently they were eaten at one time...before smallies.

I caught and ate a sucker last month - yeah, yeah, I know: it takes one to eat one. . .

I have never eaten a fallfish, although I catch a lot more of them than suckers and some of them are large enough to eat. I think I'll stick with stocked trout, catties and panfish for table fare.

(Will move this to the Warm Water forum)

I ate suckers from Maiden creek as a kid. Butterflied on the grill. we just picked the meat out.

Fallfish are a day saver at camp on the Sinnemahoning. Near the mouth they'll hit dry flies and if the smallies aren't cooperating you can kill some time with them. Some get quite large.

They even look good.....they sort of look like the typical cartoon shape or something from a Norman Rockwell food collection.

I've never eaten one, but they remind me of whitefish. They should be excellent if you smoke them. Other recipes I have seen are to bake them, fish cakes, fish tacos and pickle them.
I know they're bony, not sure if they have Y bones like chain pickerel and pike but if you can remove them you might be able to fry them.

Back