Fall Fishing: The WhoGARA Stonefly

Status
Not open for further replies.
By Maurice

img505f6a72600ab.jpg
The Fall season marks the return of shorter days, cooler nights and lower stream temperatures on our more marginal waters around the Commonwealth. Many trout waters ride the razors edge on harboring wild trout. We see lots of ATW's with wild trout during the cooler months of spring and winter. Usually these waters are rather large, their watersheds are made of many wild trout tributaries. Often the main stem which warms in Summer are believed to be transitional wild trout waters. Ones that have their wild trout leave the warmer stream during the heat of summer only to have them return in the fall to the larger water with better habitat and cover as well as forage. Or they hunker down, find thermal refuge through springs seeps, tributary mouths or deeper water. It is the fall season when I like to sample the bigger waters to see if I can scare up some of these Wild Brown Trout.The ones that made it through the tough months, the survivors.

img505f6ab607a4c.jpg
It is this type of fishing that I enjoy the most. Often no one else is fishing, the air is crisp, the water cool and clear and solitude abounds. But lets face it, the business at hand is to touch a few survivors. So I like to use a fly I know will get them to take a look and grab it. Now not just any goto fly. No, not a Green Weenie, Goodness NO! They are for old men and children! Although I have been known to use them I would prefer to fish "off the junk". My good friend and fellow board member Fritz often texts me pics at work during the week of him tearing up the York County waters with the Weenie, I kid him but it works. I am just too stubborn to use it. Its pretty clear that the success of the Weenie is largely due to the color, Chartreuse.

One of my favorite goto Fall flies on Muddy is a Yellow Stonefly nymph. So I am thinking...maybe I will tie up a few and when selecting the white rubber legs from a bass jig skirt; I wade past orange, green,chartreuse. Wait a minute, thats not a bad idea. Chartreuse legs. Yeah, like a Weenie color, but not a weenie. This might be the ticket. I mean until someone sees the pics of this fly with chartreuse legs in the trouts mouth. Ahhhh, Who Gives A Rat's Arse.

This marks the birth of the WhoGARA stonefly. Following is a tutorial for tying this simple yet effective fly. Now using it anytime but the Fall may bring scorn over you but if someone gives you a ribbing just tell them the name. WhoGARA! It catches fish. I only fished for two hours in marginal water and landed three wild browns and lost two larger ones, turned and moved several more. I am convinced that it got the attention of nearly all of the trout it drifted past.

WhoGARA Stonefly
You will see by the tutorial that details are not important.
Hook: WhoGARA big hook - #12 2xl streamer.
Thread: Olive (WhoGARA) it gets covered anyway.
Underbody: 18ga.Wire (WhoGARA - I used electric motor windings)
Tail: Brown goose biots.
Body: Yeller dubbin.
Wing case: Pheasant tail fibers.
Rib: Copper Wire, WhoGARA, it just protects the Pheasant fibers.
Legs: Chartreuse Spinner Bait Skit string.
Thorax/head: Same Yeller Dubbin.

Instructions:
Step 1: Put a base layer of thread on the hook to keep the wire from sliding around the hook. Don't worry about the lengths of wire being the same, remember WhoGARA.
img505f6b14eaaaa.jpg
img505f6b6ac0ce2.jpg

More after the break Here

hunter1
We in Maryland have had a problem with dydimo on the Gun powder and some other streams. Rock snot you just wash your boots at a salt solution station at the stream. Maryland also outlawed felt soles. Extra percuation is needed greatly.

Last edited:
salmonoid
I have seen the 409 Cleaner piece repeated just about everywhere. In this case, the PFBC is the party repeating the information. However, it is NOT a cure-all for cleaning your gear. There is a very specific test under certain conditions, using a specific version of the cleaner that the California Department of Fish and Game performed, and under those conditions, it was effective in killing the snails. However, I would caution against putting a lot of faith in the 409 Cleaner solution, as the product used in the study that was somewhat effective is NOT the chemical solution that is available to the general public.

http://www.stopans.org/Formula_409.htm

Last edited:
DaveKile
salmonoid,

Thanks for the heads up. I did some more digging and changed the post, but I suspect there are other ideas out there for us to hear about.

Last edited:
streamerguy
Knew about the mudsnails turning up in Spring, but this is the first I'm hearing about didymo in Fishing Creek. Definitely bad news for both streams..

Anyone have any links? Just did a quick Google search on BFC but didn't find anything regarding didymo.

Last edited:
DaveKile
Screwed that one up and it is Pine Creek and corrected.

You really should check out the Flyline.com post on New Zealand Mud Snail here. I find the issue with Copper Sulfate is a complicated and less reliable procedure. Seems like there isn't a very effective safe chemical process to eliminate the mudsnails.

Last edited:
streamerguy
Gotcha. That's what I thought, wasn't sure if it recently showed up on any other streams.

Last edited:
DaveKile
Thanks for calling it out. I got way too caught up in the mud snail issue and didn't didn't double check my own [d]facts[/d] memory. I knew the story broke in July and just screwed up my streams. Enough bad news about all this stuff this year, don't need me adding to it as well.

Last edited:
salmonoid
I think it's good to get a contextual visual aid on the mud snails. This information page has (at the time I write this) a picture of a dime, along with snails in various stages of development. Interestingly enough, in New Zealand, it is thought that the population is kept in check by a parasitic trematode (small worm), which appears to neuter the snails and keep some of them from reproducing. However, from an ecological perspective, it creates a bit of angst to think about introducing something else to combat an evasive. I think of the story of "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.." - she died of course.

Last edited:
C
PA annual nonresident.

CO, AZ, NY 5-7 day licenses

Last edited:
tomgamber
The only out of state I regularly buy is the coastal license for surf fishing. But we're cruising this year.

Last edited:
C
We have a lifetime for Virginia, and buy WV, PA, MD, and if we have a chance for vacation we also get a Delaware license.

Last edited:
Acristickid
Getting a nonresident license for a week long trip to Fish for Coastal Cutthroats and couple different kinds of salmon. Can’t wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back