Dipping my toe

PogueMahone

PogueMahone

Hey all, Brand new guy here, been spin fishing for years, want to try fly fishing. My goal is to start out with catching panfish. I have a 9 ft 5 wt rod with 4x leader and tippet. To ease the learning curve I thought I might start with just 1or 2 different size fly until I can get casting down. Size 12 or 14, is this a good plan to start? What do y’all think?

Thanks,
PM

PogueMahone wrote:
Hey all, Brand new guy here, been spin fishing for years, want to try fly fishing. My goal is to start out with catching panfish. I have a 9 ft 5 wt rod with 4x leader and tippet. To ease the learning curve I thought I might start with just 1or 2 different size fly until I can get casting down. Size 12 or 14, is this a good plan to start? What do y’all think?

Thanks,
PM

Solid plan ^

Panfish will hit most any flies.

Give it a try and let us know how you make out.

Good luck FFing!

Personally,I love poppers for panfish.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy yourself!!

Excellent choice if you have a good pond near you. I suggest a durable dry fly made out of foam. (think hoppers, crickets, beetles, ants).

I also like small poppers as mentioned above.

Good luck!

I hear the bite is hot at Hell's Ditch right now...

I would try a large dry - foam terrestrial as said above or caddis stimulator - and a woolly bugger. Popper is also a good bet, and panfish like the cheap, crappy cork ones.

Back