DID NOT EXPECT THIS. (Obit. for Bob Rinn)

M

maxima12

6-11-20 @ 2:58---- Doorbell rings, a lady by the name of Sally, who I have never met personally hands me a magazine! Country Home!

Entitled the gentleman angler!

Remembering Bob Rinn, Lycoming county, fly fisherman and Conservationist Extraordinaire. What a "Huge Surprise".

If you only knew, Bob Rinn. What a golden fellow! A man, that carried me to better places. I am still shocked of what just happened!

How? How come? Why me? The reason behind the door?

Oh yeah, that's Bob on the cover Sorry, I am crying now! What a friend and pal. I do miss my fellow fisherman, , friend, teacher!. Still crying, I think back, how many pals have gone away! I miss them a lot!

This article was written by another friend, Kevin McJunkin. Have not read it yet! I will with 2 boxes of tissues! Big men do "cry". Why not, you think your hard enough until the best of you goes away in an instant. Bob was the best of me or at least brought out the best of the bad of me! In most cases you could call me a failure, but in the aspects of life Bob was involved with me, especially at the postal service, another story, Never left him down!

Many had a faith, and I brought that faith forward to a new beginning. A promise to a friend, many friends, "Never will I let you down". Never did I. It was brotherly love, they shared even though I was not a member! The boy's call it "Brother Love", I call it, "Thank You". Made me a better person, by far!

If the boys did not make me better, I would not be crying now!

Good to cry and get the dirt out of my eyes to see a better future of "Best to Come".

Maxima12

Sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers for you and Bob's family

I always enjoy your "Maxima's Missives". When I went to WACC in the late 70's I haunted "The Northern Tier" on weekends. So I recognize many of the places of which you write.

Thanks for the diversion from the serious business we are faced with today.

I used to do very well on Lycoming Creek. There was a nice cut bank near a demolished RR bridge. I tried to find it on my last trip to PA but wasn't successful.

I caught 5 fish on five casts there. Never did that before... or after...

The article is excellent!!

You can read it here:

https://www.mountainhomemag.com/2020/03/31/300800/the-gentleman-angler

Dear Troutbert,

Thank you very much for sharing the story. I'm sorry for everyone's loss.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I don't know or know of the this man, but he is of the type I idolized as a kid learning this fly-fishing thing.

I am happy to add him to my Pennsylvania fly-fishing idols list.

Thanks for the enlightenment!!

Thanks. GG

Now I see why Maxima is here.
I have never meet this man, but by that last paragraph on perhaps, the best recount of a historic PA fly-fisher's life Ive ever read. I know exactly who he was.

I think i know Maxima now too.

Thank you guys.
Wonderful Stuff.
:cry:

Beautiful article.

I met Bob Rinn one time in my life and he made an impression on me. The meeting was quite by accident or chance. It was about 10 years ago. I was fishing the FFO section of White Deer Creek. I came around a bend in the stream and here stands this older gentleman fly fishing. We struck up a conversation and finally introduced ourselves to each other. What a world of fly fishing knowledge this man possessed. He was bent over and could barely walk and carried a folding stool with him. After a bit he unfolded his stool and we talked for a while. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him sometime. It was a pleasure to have met him. I can't remember the gentleman's name who was with him but I could tell he was a dear friend of Mr. Rinn. Sorry to hear of his passing. I just picked up a copy of the article. Very well done. WTT

Nice article. It sounds like Bob Rinn was what modern people call "the real deal." It sounds like he led a full life. Maxima and others who knew him and met him were fortunate to have associated with him.

I, too, am sorry to hear of his passing.

I grew up in Muncy and knew of Mr. Rinn's reputation in general, but I was very young and don't recall if I met him or not. Muncy is a small town and we knew most everyone. Fished Muncy Creek, Loyalsock, etc., and shopped at Hille's a lot. Article brought back good memories.

Troutbert, thank you, you did it! I wish, i was more like you but likes never was something that came easy to me.

Well, i like troutbert and follow off the highest cliff!

Lock, Stock and Barrel

Maxima12

I enjoyed that article very much!

I picked up a copy at the local sporting goods store and tossed it on the back seat of my truck. A few days later I was down at my friend's camp on Pine Creek, taking a break from fishing. I poured a cup of coffee and sat by the campfire and read that article. Everything was right with the world just then....the creek, the fire, the coffee and that article.

Hi, I am the author of The Gentleman Angler, the story about Bob Rinn. I'm glad Maxima finally got a copy of the magazine, and grateful that Mountain Home decided to publish the story so that many of Bob's friends and family could see it. I still really miss Bob! Just fished "Raven Run" on Monday and almost caught the twin of the Brown that I caught the first time I used Bob's bamboo rod. Hopefully here is a photo of that memorable fish:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/13767219/24798810/414451676.jpg

Also, here is a link to the actual magazine article with photos and captions:

https://issuu.com/mountainhome/docs/april_2020

I really appreciate the kind comments on this forum!

Tight lines,
Kevin

What a great article and Bob sounded like a real bad ***! Love it

Kevin, thanks brother, your article on a one to ten, is fourteen! What a beautiful experience being around Bob Rinn! We both realize it now but the blend of time Bob was alive, we liked it a lot. I never really took full advantage, because Bob was always there!

Now, I lost a true brother, setback, standstill, did i do right, i hope so!

I guess what i try to say, brother, do not stop. You know i love the many others we know. You know them too! Go forward brother and tell the world, the word, according to your most inner thoughts. We lived in the "Golden Days of Friendship Fishermen".

your friend at Weis Market and Muncy Post Office 17756, 17756 rules!

Back