Corning NY Area

salmo

salmo

I don't want to spot burn, but I will be in the Corning, NY area in early October 2023. I was wondering if anyone would:
1. Send me a PM about some locations with public access (preferably west of Corning); and/or
2. Meet me for some fishing time when I go?

NY is pretty big .... Can you narrow it down a bit

I don't want to spot burn, but I will be in the Corning, NY area in early October 2023. I was wondering if anyone would:
1. Send me a PM about some locations with public access (preferably west of Corning); and/or
Dear Salmo,

I sent you a message here on PA Flyfish. Let me know if you have any questions. There used to be a great book on fishing lower NY State. It's long since out of print and I don't have my copy handy, but if I remember correctly there were plenty of smaller trout streams in the farmland west and northwest of Corning. Areas around Avoca and Dansville were the home to most of them.

I will tell you to search the NY DEC website for areas with public access and special regulations. Once you start looking around the website you will find a lot of great information.

Have fun!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks

Some of those feeder creeks into the Finger Lakes have fall rainbow runs. If memory serves me correctly. GG

Contact me when time gets closer I can help. I serve that area with my shop as well as fish up there

Some of those feeder creeks into the Finger Lakes have fall rainbow runs. If memory serves me correctly. GG
True. Some guy convinced me to fish one of those creeks at Ithaca for lake run rainbows. He caught about 2, I caught none. The stream was channelized looking so, it didn't interest me enough to make a long drive to fish there again. I stopped and looked at several other streams that get those runs. These were also severely channelized. This was not too long after the January 1996 rain-on-snow flood, which was a "big one." After the floods they dug the streams out with heavy equipment.

Driving there and back, nearly EVERY stream I saw from the road had been dug out.

If I was in that area, I would do walks to see the waterfalls and gorges, which are very beautiful. If I lived there, I guess I'd get a boat and fish the lakes because the streams are wrecked. Or drive south to PA!

True. Some guy convinced me to fish one of those creeks at Ithaca for lake run rainbows. He caught about 2, I caught none. The stream was channelized looking so, it didn't interest me enough to make a long drive to fish there again. I stopped and looked at several other streams that get those runs. These were also severely channelized. This was not too long after the January 1996 rain-on-snow flood, which was a "big one." After the floods they dug the streams out with heavy equipment.

Driving there and back, nearly EVERY stream I saw from the road had been dug out.

If I was in that area, I would do walks to see the waterfalls and gorges, which are very beautiful. If I lived there, I guess I'd get a boat and fish the lakes because the streams are wrecked. Or drive south to PA!
Dear troutbert,

I lived in the Southern Tier of NY for 11 years. I fished the Delaware and its branches during hatch season, but did most of my Spring, Fall, and Winter trout fishing in PA. I found a few local streams that were pretty good trout streams when the conditions were right, but that was a rare occurrence. It was a shame because when the town highway department kept the dozers out of the cricks, they were pretty good. Once someone complained after a highwater event the dozers came out in force and made everything string straight and channelized.

The bass, walleye, and pike fishing is fantastic though, which is why I never fished a Trico hatch, even in PA. Summer was warmwater, and it never disappointed.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

PM me......

Latest posts

Back