Concerned

S

scotto

I am concerned each time I fish Allenberry and see fishermen parking at the bottom of the hill by the pavillion, in spite of the signs indicating that fishermen should park in the "Fisherman's Lot" so generously provided by Allenberry. At some point the owners may tire of this blatant disrespect and close the area. It will NOT be my fault if this occurs.

Seeing such disregard the for the wishes of the owner makes me understand why people post property!

People,... they're the worst! I would be inclined to say something to any angler I encountered breaking that rule.

By the way,

the anglers were able bodied, 2 much younger than I.

Scott,

Did you encourage the anglers not to do this?

Jay & Jack,

normally I would say something, but last night I just did not have it in me. It was a relaxing weekend and I just didn't feel like a confrontation. I also didn't have my "companion" in my pack on the chance things turned ugly.

I should have said something as it has been festering since!

I've seen anglers park there nearly every time I've been there. Some people have no regard, and some people have no idea about parking there.

As a general rule, I really don't confront as much as mention things to fellow anglers when I them doing something wrong on the stream. I would estimate that 50% of the time I get a oops / sorry didn't know type reaction from anglers, the other 50%, the dialog from them usually begins with something like "I paid for my effing license and blah-blah-blah!" Just have the local WCO or police on speed dial for them.

BTW, the only "piece" I carry on the stream is some Tastykake apple pie in my backpack.

BTW, the only "piece" I carry on the stream is some Tastykake apple pie in my backpack.

Thanks for letting me know that.

FarmerDave wrote:

Thanks for letting me know that.

In case you get hungry?

I am one of the guys that drive down the hill! I do so because I can't make the hill. I had a knee replacement that didn’t work and another one that needs to be replaced. I have a handicap sticker and did ask at the lodge. So not all the cars you see down the bottom are there ‘cause the drivers don't want to walk ... some can't.

Buffalo

Buff,

I am not implying that there shouldn't be exceptions, as in your case, but that should be at the property owners discretion, as I'm sure you would agree.

Yeah... right or wrong, people have been driving down there for as long as I remember. I first fished Allenberry in 1980.

I always parked above and walked down. But I have seen many healthy looking men park below.

I truly am surprised they haven't really cracked down yet. I haven't been there for 10 years.

It's not right or wrong, it's just wrong. Sorry GG a little riled up!

Anybody that says they didn't know the rule should have their drivers license revoked for poor vision, you must drive past a large yellow sign asking fisherman to park above.

This has been a sore point of mine for years. While I understand some exceptions (like Buffalo, and some local fishing guides who have permission)....there's simply no excuse for the rude and disrespectful behavior of so many lazy anglers who continue to park down there. I've fished Allenberry for nearly 3 decades and the yellow "fisherman's parking lot" sign has been clearly displayed up at the inbound road for as long as I can remember. When fishermen ignored this, the larger yellow sign was added down at the tennis courts in the early 1990s urging fishermen to park up at the fisherman's lot. Now there's a partial wood fence. Nothing seems to work. While I have discussed this with some obviously healthy anglers who were parking where they shouldn't I no longer do so since the no parking signs are so obvious and the times I did I rec'd the same retort that Afish describes. About ten years ago I wrote to Allenberry thanking them for the privilige of fishing on their property and apologizing for so many of my colleagues who ignored their parking signs. I suggested ticketing or towing some cars might help the problem. I never got a reply but the parking signs remain.

Good topic for a rant BTW - obviously I agree. :)

I don't fish it much, but I always walked down to that stretch from the "Run" parking lot, near the old iron furnace.

Same people that park in handicapped and fire zones im sure. Some people think that they are above any and all rules. It will probobly not get any better, only worse.

Good luck, Tony

Glad to see that I am not the only one who finds this incredibly disrespectful.

Last time I was there, I parked above, as I always do, and get to the meadow to see some able-bodied doofus pulling on his waders. I just stared at him. Doubly annoyed when he then splashed into my section of the stream uncomfortably close.

Thought about saying something to him, but didn't, not knowing if he had some special agreement with the owner, etc. The vehicles that were down there seemed to be loaded with outdoor stickers, etc, that led me to believe they were "regulars."

Folks , in order to insure that those of us who try to follow the rules aren't disadvantaged by those that would disreguard the rules , i think we must educate those folks somehow , either by offering them a Tastykake or a peek at the companion.

Back