Canon SX20 - photography tips?

pcray1231

pcray1231

I just pulled the trigger on this camera. After the jam I lost my compact that I used for fishing, which was also the family camera. With a trip to Ireland coming up (and perhaps having a baby within a few years), I wanted something that could take quality pictures on vacations and holidays and such. So this is the family camera, to be protected and cared for, not the fishing camera to be beat on.

It's in the super zoom compact category. Compared to an SLR, it's just a touch smaller, a lot cheaper, approaches the same functionality as far as options, and doesn't have separate lenses to lug around, but you can't use filters, it's not as quick, and I'm sure it doesn't let as much light in for low-light shots. It was rated highly on all the camera review sites, it came down to this or the Panasonic fz35, I went with Canon mostly because I could find it and play around with it in stores, woulda had to order the Panasonic. The Nikon (P100 and another) were cheaper and just as available in stores but rated poorly by the camera sites.

Anyway, I'm a newb at more advanced photography, so I'll be diving into the world of actually being able to change the settings. Anyone have any history with this camera? Anyone have any hints for an advanced photography newb?

This of course means I'm still in the market for a separate fishing camera. Probably gonna wait for a few months till the pocketbook recovers. Canon D10 leads the list, with the Olympus Tough 8000 and the Panasonic DMC-TS1 still in the running. Input on that decision is welcome as well.

pcray. I picked up the Fujifilm FinePix XP10 a couple weeks ago from Best Buy for under $200 and I've been very happy with it.

It's a bit less than the 3 you mentioned but considerably less expensive. So far it's been as good on land as it has been in the water for me. It's got a relatively quick shutter, does movies and is shock/water and freeze proof.

pcray,I have Nikon colpixs S8000, I got it about mid may paid 16$ for it plus 15 years at my job. The price was 290$, it takes great pixs I'm still tring to figure it all out.

Having used a huge variety of digital cameras I have generally been very happy with the Panasonic products, however one thing I don't like about the Panasonic DMC-TS1 is that they recommend replacing the waterproofing gaskets every year.

I tried the Olympus Tough 8000 and did not like the image quality. Did not even get to the underwater photos as the regular indoor and outdoor photos were poor. I tried the Pentex Optio W80 and hated the picture quality. Tried working with Pentex on picture quality issues and could not get anywhere.

I think you are on track with the Canon D10 but for some reason I want to try the Pentex W90.

pcray
Last September I bought a Panasonic Lumix TS1 for a Montana trip. I thought it would become my "fishing camera". Since then, I haven't even opened the case of my other digital. The TS1 is great--picture quality is excellent--it's built like a tank--and although not quite a sub-compact it easily fits in my shirt pocket. Now it's the only camera I use for all my photos. Also, Steve's Digicams website has good information on this and lots of other cameras.

Back