Cabin Creek, York Co, trib to Susquehanna R @ Long Level

M

Mike

I am seeking some info here regarding the subject stream. Does anyone have any personal knowledge or has anyone heard from a reliable source that some portion of Cabin Ck supports a wild trout population, regardless of how small the population might be? We have never heard any rumors to that effect, but we will be sampling a small stream near there and will have time to sample one site on Cabin Ck. If there are wild trout present, I doubt that they are in the very lower end. If anyone has ever heard where they might be found, that would make our sampling effort all the more efficient, as it is about a 2.25 hr drive from the office.

Definitely frog-looking water at the mouth and very much Long Level slackwater. It doesn't look like there is road access until up at route 124, but based on other nearby streams, the browns show up pretty much where the river influence stops. Maybe park at the ball fields in the park, about a quarter of a mile below the mouth, and try the first meander bend? There's a little saddle there that should let you get to the stream fairly easy, at least as the topo maps show :)

Thank you Shaner and Salmonid. And who said government can't respond quickly. Sometimes we do, especially when we receive such great help from the sportsmen. Two days later we were doing map work. Three days later we were in the water ( more literally than usual since I partially fell into the 3 deg C water) and four days later, after sampling three sites, we were prepared to submit a portion of the stream and some of its adjoining tribs as wild trout candidates.

Mike wrote:
Thank you Shaner and Salmonid. . . . .four days later, after sampling three sites, we were prepared to submit a portion of the stream and some of its adjoining tribs as wild trout candidates.

This is really nice to hear.

I am seeking some info here regarding the subject stream. Does anyone have any personal knowledge or has anyone heard from a reliable source that some portion of Cabin Ck supports a wild trout population, regardless of how small the population might be? We have never heard any rumors to that effect, but we will be sampling a small stream near there and will have time to sample one site on Cabin Ck. If there are wild trout present, I doubt that they are in the very lower end. If anyone has ever heard where they might be found, that would make our sampling effort all the more efficient, as it is about a 2.25 hr drive from the office.
Hey Mike I have a lot of knowledge of this creek, I know I'm 6 years late. But if your still interested let me know.

Hey Mike I have a lot of knowledge of this creek, I know I'm 6 years late. But if your still interested let me know.
Thanks Jake. We surveyed it and found one fingerling brown near the mouth, but as we jumped upstream a couple of miles at a time the population of adults and young got better and better. We probably got to within a mile or two of the reservoir when we stopped and never sampled above the dam. The farthest upstream that we electrofished was at or near one of the Manor Dr crossings. Always wondered what kind of populations we would have found near the reservoir and above. Shown on my Gazetteer of Pa map from that region is a trib entering Cabin Ck from the SW near Margaretta. From there upstream was the better wild trout water that we found as I recall.

Thanks Jake. We surveyed it and found one fingerling brown near the mouth, but as we jumped upstream a couple of miles at a time the population of adults and young got better and better. We probably got to within a mile or two of the reservoir when we stopped and never sampled above the dam. The farthest upstream that we electrofished was at or near one of the Manor Dr crossings. Always wondered what kind of populations we would have found near the reservoir and above. Shown on my Gazetteer of Pa map from that region is a trib entering Cabin Ck from the SW near Margaretta. From there upstream was the better wild trout water that we found as I recall.
I grew up fishing the stream, starting in 1998. When I was younger we only caught 15+ inch browns, and slowly rainbows made an appearance. I've caught many fish near the 20 inch mark along the stretch that runs parallel with willow creek rd in lower Windsor Township. In the past 5 years the stream has been fished more heavily, with an actual positive impact. I've noticed many more fingerling brown and rainbows. I was recently caught a 8 inch male brook, and two 14 inch rainbows. It's worth a drive.

I grew up fishing the stream, starting in 1998. When I was younger we only caught 15+ inch browns, and slowly rainbows made an appearance. I've caught many fish near the 20 inch mark along the stretch that runs parallel with willow creek rd in lower Windsor Township. In the past 5 years the stream has been fished more heavily, with an actual positive impact. I've noticed many more fingerling brown and rainbows. I was recently caught a 8 inch male brook, and two 14 inch rainbows. It's worth a drive.
Id really like to know about where you caught them, specially the brook as I live not a min over the hill on RT 124. More specifically the areas you are fishing. A few months ago, after a big wind storm, alot of the lower holes were devoid of fish, even after trying and just sitting and waiting, but any info you can share im all ears.

Id really like to know about where you caught them, specially the brook as I live not a min over the hill on RT 124. More specifically the areas you are fishing. A few months ago, after a big wind storm, alot of the lower holes were devoid of fish, even after trying and just sitting and waiting, but any info you can share im all ears.
These are holes that have been good producers for me. Ive fished this stream since i could walk. There has always been trout. Sometimes few, sometimes schools of them. I caught a few good brooks in the red, closer to the bridge near the 4 way. The blue and yellow holes are deep, about 5-7 feet, I caught a brown and 3 rainbows out of these over the past week. And the purple hole is where I've spotted a few browns over 20 inches last year. I've noticed the trout in this stream won't bite before 4 pm in spring and summer. Many times I've stopped here mid day, caught nothing, come back around 6 and catch 10 in an hour. If you'd ever like to meet there, I live right near that red circle in the development. If flies aren't working, mealworms will get the job down here.

As i found out this weekend, apparently cabin creek is stocked now. If anyone has any information on who stocked it, be it a club or the state, would apricate it

Back