Buyers remorse

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

So... after I purchased my TFO Pro 2 6wt, I have been rethinking the purchase. I have a 5wt White River Classic that I like (2 piece) and a 3 piece 8Wt.

Here is the question... Based on fishing for trout and bass (and looking at saltwater as well), Should I get an 8 or 9 Wt instead of the 6? Just fish the 5 for trout and bass?

Or a 3 or 4 wt?

robkonowitch wrote:
So... after I purchased my TFO Pro 2 6wt, I have been rethinking the purchase. I have a 5wt White River Classic that I like (2 piece) and a 3 piece 8Wt.

Here is the question... Based on fishing for trout and bass (and looking at saltwater as well), Should I get an 8 or 9 Wt instead of the 6? Just fish the 5 for trout and bass?

Or a 3 or 4 wt?

When I started out, I owned two rods. I fished a 5wt for trout and an 8wt for bass. The 5 wt should be a great trout rod (and you mentioned you really liked it), and you can also fish it for bass in small streams. For bigger river smallmouths and/or largemouths in lakes, the 8wt should do a good job.

Saltwater is another deal all together. If you are really into SW fishing, consider a sturdy 9 or 10wt rod with a decent reel.

GreenWeenie wrote:
I'd go 1wt.

GW,

Please expand on your reasoning?

Maurice

Thank you all for the advice. In looking at salt water I know it is way too different. I think keeping what I have should work

What do you mean "way to different"? If you go with a 9 or 10wt you can fish for Muskies, Salmon, as well as for salt water action. actually you can use the 5wt or 6wt for any type of fishing-what you have to do is understand what the rod is capable of and learn how to use it to fight any size fish you hook up with.

However judging by what you wrote - you need to settle down and relax. Don't purchase anything else unless you know your going to use the equipment often enough to warrant the purchase. Now if you just want to waste your money you can put it in an envelope and mail it to me!!

Maurice,

I’m going to bet this poster is a troll who’s been yanking everyone’s chain around but they haven’t figured it out.

Actually, Pennypackflyer seems to have figured it out that something is not right with these posts.

So, you weren't actually offering advice in good faith? Please don't try to second-guess posters. If there is some sort of fraud, it will expose itself and be taken care of by the group assembled for this purpose.

I didn’t say or imply that my advice wasn’t made in good faith but I do think it's a troll and I stand by that.

I wasn’t really sure what the poster was asking, as it appears he’s considering anything from a 3-9wt, but by already owning a 5wt and 8wt logic would say don’t buy a new 9wt or another 8wt and a 3 or 4wt really is close to the 5wt in my opinion so maybe I should have suggested a 12wt as another option to the 1wt suggestion.

Right now the 8wt that he owns could double as a heavy fresh/light salt rod and the 5wt is a great all purpose trout rod so then the decision is salt or lighter trout and if you really want something best suited to saltwater go 12wt and if better suited to light trout a 1wt would make a really neat addition.

So it’s really not bad advice at all.

Ok, look at it this way. Of the below, pick what you want to do, make sure you got the rods to cover it. You can get one of each, or pick tweeners to do dual duty (jack of several trades, master of none).

0-2 wt - no logical use, but some people enjoy light tackle for small-medium stream trout, and that's ok.

3 wt-6 wt - Perfect trout sizes. Smaller weights (and lengths) for smaller streams, the bigger weights for bigger waters and fish. A 6 wt is on the high side for a trout rod, and on the small side for bass and steelhead, but it'll do both just fine.

7 wt-8 wt - Perfect for big river bass and steelhead. A little big, but acceptable for big water trout. A stiffer 8 wt is getting into the respectable range for salmon.

9+ wt - salmon and saltwater.

pcray hit it on the head but I would add if you really want to go salt get a 10 or higher. im considering your are talking about surf fishing.
the other thing to add is salt is probably one of the more expensive sides of fly fishing because you need a floating line a int sinking line and a fast sinking that being said for one rod you will need around 150 dollars in line and that's on the cheap side. a reel cost around the same plus two extra spools so your looking around 600 bucks in one rod. that's for reasonable priced gear to.

besides that salt can be very humbling. its one of those thing where I think your best to go out with a guide who fly fishes once or twice before you make any moves in that salt direction. at least do the salt jam where you will be with people who know a good amount.
it is awesome when you catch any fish in the surf. trumps about any other fishing I've done in fresh water.

P.S. if you do go Salt Water fishing make sure you wash the rod reel and line off real well after each use. Saltwater destroys thing quickly.

Ok... not a troller. Trying to justify my purchase to myself. Keep thinking of moving to the south where I will do more salt than freshwater. For the moment, I want something I can fish in PA and not worry about it sitting in a closet when I move.

All about the best result.

As mentioned before....learn to use your rod and understand what it is capable of doing. I've seen shows where the gent brought in a large fish with 4 lb test. So one of the things you need to determine is whether your there for the fight or just to catch. It is never your choice of fish size, and you will have to work the fish or lose it. Being better prepared by knowing your equipment will make the fishing adventure all the better. I lost all 5 salmon that I had on at Salmon river this last fall. I believe three things were my downfall. A. I didn't use my 8wt rod enough times to understand what it is capable of doing for me. B. I didn't know how to tiring them out. C. I was there for the catch and not the fight. (in that order) Yes, I believe my lack of confidence in my equipment was the number 1 reason why I was not successful.
Going south does not mean only saltwater fishing....some of the best bass fishing in America is down south. If your 6wt is collecting dust it is your fault and nobody's elses.

what do you mean south? south as in Florida or just a little closer to the shore?

South as in South Carolina. As someone who really is just starting out, I guess I just need to relax and fish. Everything else will come.

don't relax. its an addiction and you have it. like many of use on the forum. just think and ask question and I think you will be able to get an answer. if you have money you can spend then go get some gear but think and do research before you get it. probably good with an 8 wt for south Carolina reds.

http://www.risenfly.com/collections/frontpage/products/anakim-fly-reel

One of our sponsors offers a totally waterproof reel in the larger sizes you are looking for. You did not ask about a reel but i thought this would fit perfectly for you SW outfit.

I have a 9' 5 weight for trout, but just purchased a 4wt reel and will be purchasing a 10' 4 wt rod as well. I know that the 4wt is close to the 5 weight but for the style of fishing i am moving toward the 9' 5 weight is just not touchy enough for me, however it is great for chucking larger heavier flies. If i am going to be nymphing i will be using the 10' (longer) 4 wt (lighter and touchier rod) if i will be using streamers and such i will use the 9' 5wt (shorter faster action) to get the results I want. I think often times the rod will suit your style of fishing. Hope this helps.

Back