BRAVED THE WEATHER AND IT PAID OFF!!

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

A buddy and me went fishing yesterday to Yellow Creek. We made the day Artificial only. I used flies and he used spinners. We both ended up with 9. The water conditions were perfect but the wind, rain, and snow made it challenging. (1) of my fish was a 16 1/2" golden rainbow. I had never caught one on a fly before so it was rewarding. The fish launched out of the water 3 times an put up an excellent fight. He is still in the stream in a brushpile on the flats below the town of Woodbury for all of you in my neck of the woods. All fish were over 12 inches except for a small brown not positive if he was wild. Caught them on beadhead Hare's ear(best nymph for theat day), beadhead turkey tailed nymphs, a rainbow on a san juan worm, and the palomino too my "Sara fly" wich is a fly i made for my fiance. basically a beadhead waxworm fly :-D you know bait is expensive and times are bad and all.

(sorry the fish looks blinding he doesnt have an ora around him but my phone was the only camera i had.)

Attachments

• yellow creek palomino.JPG
    yellow creek palomino.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 5
sounds like a good day....how far below woodbury if u dont mind me asking i didnt realize that they stocked anything above the gap.....i was there on monday started at the fly area and worked my way up to the gap

Congrats Mike, those are the days when all the hard work pays off sweetly. Love that stream, hope to get there once or twice this summer.

Daren

it is below where the hanging bridge goes across the water. there is a little sign that says fishing permited walk in only. The water is very slow there. Right at the end of all of the slow water is a brush pile. the fish was well placed and hidden in that part. :) he was very aggressive and went after a lot of things. I may have mislead you in the location. But you probably know where i am talking about now. There are also a lot of rocks on the hill above the stream. Um... ther are 2 houses below where i park. 1 has a little pavillion thing. That stretch is my favorite on the stream. it is above the resturant. I did see 2 fish over 20 in that stretch. Hope my description paid off and you might be able to get him.

haha yea thanks i know where ur talking about, actually i think i even know what brush pile ur talking about...i fish that creek about 3 to 4 times a week but i havent made it up that far this year, do u fish there alot

Not to often being i live i portage. My favorite stream in this neck of the woods because of the fact that it holds water. I like to fish Sproul in claysburg in the early season but it is really tough once the water level drops. I dont like the garbage either. I fish Bob's Creek a lot. I belong to a group called TAP that i imagine not too many people on here like but we have a hatchery and stock a lot of lock streams so if i have a lot a places near portage. My favorite is the first fork of the sinnemahoning river though.

Where is the fly project on that stream? Hope that palomino doesnt move on ya.

turn at the frontier and take that road about 1.5 miles and there will be a dirt road on ur right that has a sign about parking and that will take u right to the creek...anytime u want to try it just let me know im always looking for someone to fish with

Back