"blue lining" ?

Skeet6

Skeet6

If I understand this term, it means using a map to follow the "blue line" - small streams?
Thanks, and sorry for the silly question. I see it used a lot, and I THINK I have it right.
Mike B

That's basically it. Using GPS and maps etc.

It usually means crashing through briars, falling on rocks, destroying waders and rods and encountering snakes only to find tiny trout.

Being a blue liner is about finding your own secret little brookie stream out in the butt crack of nowhere.

Then you snag a branch and realize that there are 15 other flies stuck in the same branch and everyone and their brother fishes your new secret stream.

BTW, The only thing hipper and cooler than being a "blue liner" is being a "brown liner"

Seriously. That's a thing.

Skeet6 wrote:
dc410 wrote:
PennKev wrote:

BTW, The only thing hipper and cooler than being a "blue liner" is being a "brown liner"

I couldn't agree more.

OK, tell me? LOL.
Mike B

It's when you go back behind the city sewage plant, wade through the turds, dirty needles, and broken glass and catch carp while homeless guys and crack heads cheer you on.

Really.

No GPS. No computer program. You get yo'self a map and you pick a blue line...then you go and check it out.

This term is not in the dictionary. It was invented by anglers who have looked at maps and wondered how that would fish. They chased that blue line and found many a stream to expand their repertoire and spread the pressure off Penns and Spring, etc.

Got it! Thanks, guys. I'll pass on the brown ones, though!
Mike B

Find blue lines on map in a promising area. Hike miles in to see bootprints from the guy who fished it an hour or two before you. Turn around and hike back out. Do that maybe once or twice and the day is shot. Go home and wish you had fished a Delayed Harvest Area.

Ignore prior post. The thinner the line, the less roads nearby, even in short stretches, those bootprints will be old as Moses.

Used in conjunction with the lists that PFBC publishes it's is an excellent way to find wild trout streams, especially the more remote streams.
During the early years of this message board I often proposed to others they find trout streams this way. It is also why many anglers don't name the streams they are fished or have fished, even if they are known to others.
After all these years these guys still haven't found the places I've found large brookies, or figured out how to catch them. Oh well!

If you look on a map of PA even the lower Delaware, Susquehanna, and Ohio will still be blue. The line will be darker, hyever. Thin is the new orange.

This may go down as one of the all time great threads in PAFF history. Good stuff!

Skeet6 wrote:
Got it! Thanks, guys. I'll pass on the brown ones, though!
Mike B

You don't know what your missing. Now, I really haven't had the experience of the turds, dirty needles or the broken glass but I have kind of used the term "brownliners" as a general term for flyfishermen chasing carp. Crawling through the cow patties and burn hazel to sneak up on 'em can be an important part of the game. The waters where carp are targeting are usually not as clean and crystal clear as your "blueliners" are going to be. After fishing for a few seasons in the slow moving, silty warmwater types of carp habitat it does tend to give your fly line a definite brown tinge of color.

Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy chasing wild trout on those "bluelines". We are very blessed here in PA with so many different fishing opportunities with some absolutely gorgeous scenery. Enjoy!

I prefer orange lining.

It's easy. Just drive over a bridge, and look into the water. The lines are easy to see and range from 10-24 inches :lol: :lol:

I love blue lining too. Sometimes the stream will be a bust, and sometimes it'll be your new favorite.

My favorite part is [d]getting lost[/d] taking an unplanned turn and in the middle of nowhere you end up seeing a little stream flowing through the woods and you think "hmm.....that looks fishy" but have absolutely no knowledge of the place. I've done that a bunch of times.....and some of these little trickles aren't even named.....let alone on any of the PFBC lists. Fun to explore new water. Never know where you'll find fish.

I've never found a stream that I researched a bust. It's just some were better then others. Some have improved others have gone down the tubes.

I have watched brownliners both in this country and Russia- there appears to be an unwritten rule that you have a bell on rod,stand at least ten feet back,act blasé,until alerted,then rush up and strike like the guys on the bass fishing shows do...interesting how fishermen tend to follow certain patterns...

Back