Big Native Brook Trout

Did you catch the big one you were after? Honestly I did not read through all the pages. Fishing streamers when the stream is a lil high and dirty works for me. Seems like you’re off to a great start of the year.

Did you catch the big one you were after? Honestly I did not read through all the pages. Fishing streamers when the stream is a lil high and dirty works for me. Seems like you’re off to a great start of the year.
No I have not caught it yet and I haven’t seen it since. I’ve caught 3 7.5 inchers and an 8 incher so far, so at least I’m getting some decent ones. I did find a new big fish to target this past weekend, I was out fishing with my friend in a non-class a stream that I don’t think anyone knows about (it’s not even on some maps) and we saw a fish that was 10-11 inches swim out from an undercut and demolish his fly (he missed the hookset, but we saw the fish clear as day and I promise I’m not exaggerating, if anything I’m being conservative with my estimate). It’s possible it was a wild brown because it looked a little lighter in color than the usual dark colored brookies you see in the water and it could have swam far upstream from the creek this tributary flowed into, but I find that highly unlikely since we were in the headwaters and only caught/saw brook trout for the entire creek.

I got my personal best brook trout from Big Spring back in September 2019. Around 14". Below the Ditch, on a soft hackle. Nice fat healthy fish. A female, judging from the jaw size (smaller than males). I was sure it was a brown, until I got the fish in close- not black spots, yellow spots! Actually most of the spots were almost white, with a few red ones. Greener than any brookie I had ever caught, too. All of the others I've caught are the more typical dark purple-black color with yellow-orange markings and spots. That one was blue-green, with cream markings.

No pics, I was alone and wanted to get that fish back in the water FAST. I know I caught her, that's enough. I was in shock, practically.

September 17, 2021. My personal best. Didn't put tape on it but piecing together an estimate based on a few pix I snapped quickly, I put this one between 14-16 inches. Oh, and a Class B stream BTW.

20200917 101054

Since then I've hooked two others that I'm confident rivaled this one in size (one of them I had out of the water before he unhooked himself). One was last winter, the other this spring, both on different CL A streams. No question they're out there.

The one in the pic came on a #12 purple para adams. The other two rivals hit on this:

20230706 150620

No bigger than a #14 tied with a crap-ton of .020 wrapped around the shank . . .

September 17, 2021. My personal best. Didn't put tape on it but piecing together an estimate based on a few pix I snapped quickly, I put this one between 14-16 inches. Oh, and a Class B stream BTW.

View attachment 1641231352

Since then I've hooked two others that I'm confident rivaled this one in size (one of them I had out of the water before he unhooked himself). One was last winter, the other this spring, both on different CL A streams. No question they're out there.

The one in the pic came on a #12 purple para adams. The other two rivals hit on this:

View attachment 1641231353

No bigger than a #14 tied with a crap-ton of .020 wrapped around the shank . . .
Impressive fish. Nice work.

The thread title is "Big Native Brook Trout."

Something went wrong...
Something always goes wrong when there’s a post about “natives” on this site.

Back