Bear carcass on the Lehigh

Having spent a number of summers on the Yellowstone River north of Yellowstone National Park, I’ve had a number of bear encounters.

One year there was a grizzly carcass stuck in the sand on a side channel of the river that we often floated past in the spring before the water receded later in the year. There’s no telling where it came from, or what caused the bear’s demise. In the spring runoff it could have floated 40, 50 miles or more upriver from somewhere in the Park, or it could have come from nearby.

Even though the area where that bear carcass was located is generally thought of as not being in grizzly country, a woman was mauled by a grizzly just a few miles up river from there a couple years ago at a Fish and Wildlife river access, and another summer a car hit a grizzly on the highway not far from there, so I know there can be grizzlies in the area from time to time, at any time.

On more than a few occasions I’ve seen moving water carry a 2000# bison and 1000# cows, so it wouldn’t be any problem to carry a 200# bear.

There's now a second Dead bear a few miles up River near bowmanstown. What are the chances? There might be some shenanigans afoot

Back