Bead size chart

Jimbot

Jimbot

Print it out. Put it in your fly tying desk.

Attachments

• bead size_Fotor.jpg
    bead size_Fotor.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 860
This is great little chart.

When would you use over lapping bead sizes?

If a 7/64 can be used for 12,14,16 hooks sizes. When would you use a 3/32 bead is its for sizes 14 & 16 why not just use a 7/64.

Weight?

sroach wrote:
This is great little chart.

When would you use over lapping bead sizes?

If a 7/64 can be used for 12,14,16 hooks sizes. When would you use a 3/32 bead is its for sizes 14 & 16 why not just use a 7/64.

Weight?

For me I would use an overlapping bead if I wanted the fly heavier or lighter depending on how I want to go with the tie. In addition the heavier bead tends to be bigger on the hook which may not be an issue if you are tying on a 2xl nymph hook but on say a 2xs scud hook the extra space needed for the 7/64 bead could mess up proportions on an already small hook. Plus it never hurts to have an overlap because I always seem to run out of the bead size that I need.

@nomad Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the response.

Jimbot wrote:
Print it out. Put it in your fly tying desk.

I take it one step further and repack my beads into containers labeled by hook size and metric size. The fractions of an inch measurements drive me bonkers. I just wanna tie flies, not do math.

As someone very new to fly tying, I've been looking for references to help me as i try to get a handle on materials and patterns.
Here are the two most used references i've put together after reading several articles, books, etc. (I'm not sure how to post them in my message, so the attachments will have to suffice)

Maybe someone else will find them useful. In general i find them to be useful reference points for starting recommendations, but certainly not hard and fast rules.

I also have a one page document which outlines the most common thread types and their applications for UNI, UTC, Flymaster, and Veevus which helps me better understand what threads i might actually need to buy and which ones i can swap out for various recipes that are out there. I would post everything, but i don't know how (or if it's even allowed) to post documents to the forum. hope this helps.

Attachments

• Bead sizing charts.JPG
    Bead sizing charts.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 387
  • thread and wire sizing charts.JPG
    thread and wire sizing charts.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 372
^ That chart is a little misleading. I think the hook size range of 10-22 is pretty optimistic for 3/0 and 6/0 thread. Particularly 3/0, and particularly UNI thread.

While some 3/0 threads can certainly be used on #10's and maybe 12's and 14's, it's practically useless for anything smaller unless you are building thread bodies. Even then you would want to swap out to a smaller diameter when tying in wings, wing cases, hackles, etc.

As you can tell by the denier comparison, UNI 3/0 is enormous. It's like tying with yarn.

Not to make things too complicated, but the hook style has a lot to do with it too. Like mentioned before having a shorter or longer shank will depend on what size bead looks good on the fly, but also depending on the bend, gape of a hook, and even wire size, certain beads just don't fit. Slotted beads help a bunch with this but I've jammed a countersunk bead on a hook more times than I can count and it got stuck on the bend only to be pried off with a pair of pliers.

I think you misread my charts. It's 4 separate charts. one shows thread and it's denier rating (so i can compare swapping aughts and deniers, etc),. The charts with hook sizes are on a smaller table that only relates to wire sizes on the gold and gray charts to the right (or in the bead charts hook sizes to bead recommendations). The hook sizes aren't supposed to match up with thread sizes. I just needed a compact way to squeeze several useful references into one place.

But i appreciate the feedback. as i said, i'm new to this, so any help and guidance is always useful. I understand your comments on the thread uses and that matches up to the info i have on thread types and uses.

ryguyfi- i understand what you mean about hooks styles making a difference. I've already had to jam a few beds on different hooks. that's one of the reasons i went looking for a chart like this because when i didn't have a wide variety of beads in stock i needed a recommended starting point for what to buy and begin tying certain patterns with (particularly if i'm not able to follow every recipe to the letter not having a wide variety of hooks at my disposal either).

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Bocianka1 wrote:
I think you misread my charts.

Your chart has a table in it titled "High Strength Thread for #10-22 Trout Flies"

That table lists specs for 3/0 threads.

3/0 is generally not useful for #10-22 trout flies.

that is interesting. Thanks pointing it out.

I pulled that section from the following website.
http://frontrangeanglers.com/choosing-the-right-fly-tying-thread/

the article in general i found to be pretty useful, although obviously not free of errors.

The summary charts at the bottom list it in the #10-22 high strength charts, but some of his written explanations clearly state that it's best used for flies larger than #12. Since i haven't started tying larger flies, i wouldn't have figured that out for some time. thanks for catching that.

thread chart

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

hook and bead compatibilty guide

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0803/4843/files/Flymen-Hook-Bead-Compatability-Guide_v2.01.pdf

lead wire to hook size

6a0120a7932760970b0167636eee43970b-pi

tippet size chart

tippetflysizechart.jpg

ALL charts are just guides. substitute as required to suit your fishing/tying needs

not responsible for the accuracy in the charts mentioned above

A lot of what everyone else said about thread. But I suggest you buy a spool of veevus, utc, and uni all the same or similar in size and tie with them a bit. You will find one that you prefer. After that worry about getting one or two sizes. I use veevus and in the past utc. I didnt find a need to have anything but 70 and 140 for utc thread. I used the 140d for streamers mostly. For veevus I use mostly 8/0-12/0 usually interchangeably for the most part. Keep it simple while you get your feet under you.

Back