Bad caster, good caster? Everyone could benefit from watching this

How’d you know I was a bad caster?

Edit: One time I hit a guy on the Lehigh in the head with a dumbbell Clouser. I was fishing the Delaware that day though.

That IS bad casting!

You fish blue lines which is a dead giveaway that you're a bad caster. 😂

Let the bashing begin! I'm ready 🤣

You fish blue lines which is a dead giveaway that you're a bad caster. 😂

Let the bashing begin! I'm ready 🤣

That’s a fair point. No rebuttal!

It’s hard to fish a dumbbell Clouser on a 7’6 3wt! “Chuck and duck” baby!

Edit: One time I hit a guy on the Lehigh in the head with a dumbbell Clouser. I was fishing the Delaware that day though.
You got the DISTANCE casting part figured out.

Now you just need to work on the ACCURACY.

I used to fish #4, 4xl sculpin with 2 BB shots on a 7'9" 3wt. 100% chuck and duck

It is a good video. I like that Gawesworth fellow.

You got the DISTANCE casting part figured out.

Now you just need to work on the ACCURACY.
Casting on bigger open water, IMO, it's much easier to be accurate than casting on small, tight, overgrown streams, where getting snagged is often an issue. Being accurate on small streams is a must, unless you want to spend your day retrieving/replacing flies.

Also, on small streams you need more variations to your casting, that you generally don't need on bigger, more open water. I also think it's easier to become a good distance caster than is to become an accurate one.

Last edited:
That’s a fair point. No rebuttal!

It’s hard to fish a dumbbell Clouser on a 7’6 3wt! “Chuck and duck” baby!
Bow & arrow cast it. If you do it right, you can hit the blue-line natives in the head and scoop them up as they float past you. ;)

Well, that is certainly possible depending on where each of were standing in your respective rivers.

Well, that is certainly possible depending on where each of were standing in your respective rivers.
Should have clarified, the Upper D, and the Gorge.

it's definitely something I struggle with and I avoid a fly rod around other people because i know I look very inexperienced.

it's definitely something I struggle with and I avoid a fly rod around other people because i know I look very inexperienced.
Nobody started out being good at casting a fly rod. You get better at it with experience, so just do your best, and forget about how you might look to others. Be patient, it's not a race. Confidence in your ability will come with practice.

^ This is good advice.

I will add, the people I've taught to fly fish advanced the quickest when they decided to fly fish or not fish.

I fly fished for years being a mediocre at best caster. I watched all the videos and read all of the books and couldn't figure it out.

Then I stumbled upon an episode of the "Ask About Fly Fishing" podcast with Jason Borger. Him simply TALKING about the process of casting flipped a switch in my brain and all of the sudden it all clicked. He really emphasized practicing arm motions without a fly rod, gives a detailed way to go about it.

It might not work for you, but its worth a listen. Jason is the guy who did some of the casting,including the shadow casting, from "A River Runs Through It."

Though my above posts in this thread were jokes, I’m a bad caster from a technical perspective. I don’t care. I still have fun and (usually) catch plenty of fish still. No one else should care either.

Back