Backpacking + Fly Fishing

S

SleepySheep

Does anyone here backpack and fly fish? If so, what's your kit look like? I imagine I'll get a lot of tenkara-centric answers to this question, which is fine, but I'm particularly interested in people who bring a western-style fly rod, and what your 'prepared for anything' essentials are. I've only ever brought a spinning rod while backpacking, but now that I've been afflicted with Fast Onset Flyfishing Disorder, I'm looking to see how small a kit I can build that would satisfy a wide variety of situations.

I think I'm on the opposite end of your question but I'll drop in. Hello from DELCO by the way . . .

I spend most of my time small stream fishing. I'll seek out a brookie stream on an SGL and plan a day around an out-and-back that could be as long as 10 miles. My pack contains everything I need for the day including all contingencies I think I need: first aid, replacement BOAs, wader repair, bourbon, etc. You name it, I carry it in a pack that runs about 13-1/2 lbs fully loaded.

Look here for a little insight: https://www.paflyfish.com/threads/my-small-stream-kit.82603/

I acknowledge that compared to what other people carry, I'm absolutely on the heavy side of what I bring but it works for me.

Now, when I hear "backpacking" like you ref it, I'm thinking you're counting fractions of an ounce, minimizing weight, and willing to pay a premium to shave an ounce off your pack weight.

If I'm tracking that right, I'd offer that you can get away carrying everything you need for a successful day of fly fishing while backpacking with what you would typically hang off a lanyard: nippers, foreceps, floatant, probably no more than 2 spools of tippet (I'd personally take 4x and 5x), 2 small boxes of flies - 1 wet; 1 dry, and a spare leader. Maybe one or two indicators. Maybe an Amadou patch. Maybe hang an empty third tippet spool with a mono rig wrapped around it.

That's it. From a threshold perspective and If you're counting ounces, I don't think there's anytihng else required . . . except of course the rod and reel you're spooling up.

Last edited:
I do this quite a bit. Well, as much as I can manage time for anyway. 2-4 overnighters a year maybe.

Most opportunities to do this sort of thing in PA (with a few interesting exceptions) center around small stream angling, which sets up well for backpacking. I do pare down what I carry fishing gear wise for those trips versus a normal day fishing, but I still do carry all the basics:

Small box of flies, two spools of tippet (3x and 5x typically), a spare leader, floatant, desiccant, and maybe a dozen bb size split shot in an old film canister. I’ve modified slightly a chestpack so that it attaches to the straps of my backpack, so I can keep my fishing gear up front. I attach a pair of forceps and nippers to the outside of the chestpack, just like normal.

I used to carry a rod in its tube but have more recently given that up. I have a old, beater Redington CT I take, which although it has character, I wouldn’t be too tore up (other than not being able to fish more on that trip) about it breaking. I use some soft reusable cable ties to keep the rod sections together when attached to my pack.

Years ago a buddy and I hiked the Muir trail in the Sierras. We didn't bring nearly enough food (and restocking isn't really an option out there - I've never been more hungry), but we did bring tons of... um... greenery. A couple weeks in we met a guy who brought a fly rod and almost no food - he was catching little fish all day and primarily living off of them. He absolutely freaking hated eating trout by that point. He ended up hiking with us for a few days and feeding us trout along the way in exchange for some surplus greenery, which no doubt made an all trout diet more palatable. I still think about that guy, amazed that someone would embark on a 200-mile hike with a rod and almost no other food. Insane. But man I have never been more thankful to eat a fish than I was up there.

I still dig backpacking and often do with a fly rod. My kit always seems way too big by backpacking standards, especially if I'm carrying boots and waders, and I have no idea how to downsize it. But it's worth it, camping and fishing is the best. I've done some tent-less trips with only a tarp and that certainly helps.

I have done a lot of this as well. I love backpacking, and I love fly fishing, so why not combine the two? I am a minimalistic backpacker, so my backpack weight has always been light and barebones. Homemade alcohol stove, one aluminum kettle, generally a hammock with top and underquilts, and just enough clothes, one headlamp, you get the idea. NO EXTRAS!

My fly fishing gear is the same. One spool of tippet, usually 4x, one box of flies which contain some generic dries and generic nymphs, and a couple of woolly buggers. That is it. If it is summer, you can pack old sneakers as waders or sandals or something. I guess if you really had to, you could carry waders and boots, but that would suck.

I usually take this crappy 8' 4 weight Cabela's Three Forks and an Okuma Sierra. Bare bones. Basic.

Count me in for loving backpacking and flyfishing. I'm currently planning a trip out to the Winds this July (or maybe to the Golden Trout Wilderness, can't decide). Anyway, I've learned that I like to keep things really simple. This pack from Patagonia holds more than enough fly fishing "gear" for me - Stealth Chest Pack. One box of flies, two spools of tippet (3x, 5x usually), a few leaders, some floatant. If I know I'll be setting up day camps and then fishing, I'll bring the REI bag as a "day pack". It's incredibly light, packable, and I just attached the Chest Pack to the front. I'll be using that set up next weekend Shenandoah National Park for brookies.

I'll probably do the BFT this year and since that's a pretty brutal hike, I'll just bring the chest pack and plan to fish the streams I camp along. Each trip is slightly different, but I do have a core base of gear. One thing I've figure out over the years is that I need to sleep well in order to enjoy my trips. I finally honed in my sleeping gear this summer (2 inflatable pillows, bag, comfy pad) and that has helped me immensely. Better rested, more energy during the days.

I also love having a portable water filter with me while I fish, like a Katadyn BeFree.

Last edited:
Eagle claw makes a decent little telescopic fly rod, I think it is 6.5’. If I’m trying to save weight on a longer, less fishing centric type of trip I’ll take my tenkara. But if I’m expecting to primarily be fishing I’ll take the eagle claw, or even a more conventional 4pc rod especially if the water is look to be larger than your typical brook trout stream.

Count me in for loving backpacking and flyfishing. I'm currently planning a trip out to the Winds this July (or maybe to the Golden Trout Wilderness, can't decide). Anyway, I've learned that I like to keep things really simple. This pack from Patagonia holds more than enough fly fishing "gear" for me - Stealth Chest Pack. One box of flies, two spools of tippet (3x, 5x usually), a few leaders, some floatant. If I know I'll be setting up day camps and then fishing, I'll bring the REI bag as a "day pack". It's incredibly light, packable, and I just attached the Chest Pack to the front. I'll be using that set up next weekend Shenandoah National Park for brookies.

I'll probably do the BFT this year and since that's a pretty brutal hike, I'll just bring the chest pack and plan to fish the streams I camp along. Each trip is slightly different, but I do have a core base of gear. One thing I've figure out over the years is that I need to sleep well in order to enjoy my trips. I finally honed in my sleeping gear this summer (2 inflatable pillows, bag, comfy pad) and that has helped me immensely. Better rested, more energy during the days.

I also love having a portable water filter with me while I fish, like a Katadyn BeFree.
Yo Michael, by "BFT" do you mean the Black Forest Trail? If so, that is one that I have never experienced, but it has been on my bucket list for years.

Yup! Hoping to do it this June. I did it once long ago with a girlfriend that, by then, wasn't my girlfriend anymore. :LOL:. It's a tough, rugged trail, but beautiful.

Until a couple weeks ago all my rods were 2 piece. I often carried a rod tube for more serious hikes attached to my pack. I just stumbled upon a killer deal on a 6piece fenwick world class that will be more go to for backpacking trips. Like others I carry the bare minimum for fishing, potentially adjusting flies if I am on a stream where I feel more realistic patterns or matching the hatch may be helpful.

Yeah, I have two backpacking rods I use -

- a 6'6" Barclay Blue Ridge Special for brookies that breaks down into three pieces
- a 9' 5 wt Steffan graphite IM6 that breaks down into 5 pieces for bigger water/alpine lakes

I've found it's WAY easier to hike with a rod that breaks down into manageable size (to strap to backpack / store inside of it while flying)

I think I'm on the opposite end of your question but I'll drop in. Hello from DELCO by the way . . .

I spend most of my time small stream fishing. I'll seek out a brookie stream on an SGL and plan a day around an out-and-back that could be as long as 10 miles. My pack contains everything I need for the day including all contingencies I think I need: first aid, replacement BOAs, wader repair, bourbon, etc. You name it, I carry it in a pack that runs about 13-1/2 lbs fully loaded.

Look here for a little insight: https://www.paflyfish.com/threads/my-small-stream-kit.82603/

I acknowledge that compared to what other people carry, I'm absolutely on the heavy side of what I bring but it works for me.

Now, when I hear "backpacking" like you ref it, I'm thinking you're counting fractions of an ounce, minimizing weight, and willing to pay a premium to shave an ounce off your pack weight.

If I'm tracking that right, I'd offer that you can get away carrying everything you need for a successful day of fly fishing while backpacking with what you would typically hang off a lanyard: nippers, foreceps, floatant, probably no more than 2 spools of tippet (I'd personally take 4x and 5x), 2 small boxes of flies - 1 wet; 1 dry, and a spare leader. Maybe one or two indicators. Maybe an Amadou patch. Maybe hang an empty third tippet spool with a mono rig wrapped around it.

That's it. From a threshold perspective and If you're counting ounces, I don't think there's anytihng else required . . . except of course the rod and reel you're spooling up.
Thanks for posting your kit! I enjoy enjoy building and refining kits to maximize for a particular trip, and it looks like I'm not alone :p

My bf and I prefer shorter hikes so we can get somewhere reasonably remote, set up camp, and then explore the area at our own pace. I'd rather pack a little extra weight to ensure I can fish for whatever is in the area, even if it makes the hike a little tougher. I'm a life-lister so I'd hate to be somewhere with new species, and be unprepared to catch them!

Does having only 4x/5x tippet become an issue when you have to cut back and build out your leader? Or is it not really an issue for you?

Sleep is definitely crucial for backpacking activity! I have an inflatable pillow, and recently switched from tent/sleeping pad to a tarp/hammock. I sleep so much better! The only downside is ya need a couple trees that are the right size and distance apart, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

Gosh, would it even be possible to backpack without a good water filter? Currently I have a red-cross branded lifestraw-style filter, but I'll probably replace it with a sawyer soon.

Eagle claw makes a decent little telescopic fly rod, I think it is 6.5’. If I’m trying to save weight on a longer, less fishing centric type of trip I’ll take my tenkara. But if I’m expecting to primarily be fishing I’ll take the eagle claw, or even a more conventional 4pc rod especially if the water is look to be larger than your typical brook trout stream.
I have been quite interested in that Eagle Claw rod, but it doesn't seem to be for sale... anywhere, anymore. Four piece rods are my go-to, even for spin fishing, but the need for a good protective case does add a lot of weight, and it's not great for fishing with on-the-go.

I do this quite a bit. Well, as much as I can manage time for anyway. 2-4 overnighters a year maybe.

Most opportunities to do this sort of thing in PA (with a few interesting exceptions) center around small stream angling, which sets up well for backpacking. I do pare down what I carry fishing gear wise for those trips versus a normal day fishing, but I still do carry all the basics:

Small box of flies, two spools of tippet (3x and 5x typically), a spare leader, floatant, desiccant, and maybe a dozen bb size split shot in an old film canister. I’ve modified slightly a chestpack so that it attaches to the straps of my backpack, so I can keep my fishing gear up front. I attach a pair of forceps and nippers to the outside of the chestpack, just like normal.

I used to carry a rod in its tube but have more recently given that up. I have a old, beater Redington CT I take, which although it has character, I wouldn’t be too tore up (other than not being able to fish more on that trip) about it breaking. I use some soft reusable cable ties to keep the rod sections together when attached to my pack.
I think I'd be way too nervous about tanking the fishing aspect of my trip by breaking my rod without a case. Fishing is the whole reason I go out there!

Yeah, I have two backpacking rods I use -

- a 6'6" Barclay Blue Ridge Special for brookies that breaks down into three pieces
- a 9' 5 wt Steffan graphite IM6 that breaks down into 5 pieces for bigger water/alpine lakes

I've found it's WAY easier to hike with a rod that breaks down into manageable size (to strap to backpack / store inside of it while flying)
What's the warranty like on those rods? Coming from spin fishing, where I can get as nice a rod as I'd ever need for about $150, those price tags make my stomach sink :I But if they've got some kind of life-time hassle free warranty, *then* maybe I could reconsider.

Does having only 4x/5x tippet become an issue when you have to cut back and build out your leader? Or is it not really an issue for you?
Yes, carry spare leaders and have a tippet right on your current leader. There will be no reason to have to "rebuild" a leader unless you do something really, really bad. But if that happens, just put on a new cheap leader and start over.
Gosh, would it even be possible to backpack without a good water filter? Currently I have a red-cross branded lifestraw-style filter, but I'll probably replace it with a sawyer soon.
I like a filter, and I have used my Katadyn Hiker for a long time. Usually these days, if I am going to by a flowing stream, then I just use Aqua Mira. Much lighter and more compact.

Great thread- been accumulating backpacking gear over the past year - definitely going to get it done this year!

What's the warranty like on those rods? Coming from spin fishing, where I can get as nice a rod as I'd ever need for about $150, those price tags make my stomach sink :I But if they've got some kind of life-time hassle free warranty, *then* maybe I could reconsider.
Build a couple 4-piece rods for < $200 each. It will take you of one rabbit-hole and drop you into another one. (Blank manufacturers provide a warranty.)

Yes, carry spare leaders and have a tippet right on your current leader. There will be no reason to have to "rebuild" a leader unless you do something really, really bad. But if that happens, just put on a new cheap leader and start over.

I like a filter, and I have used my Katadyn Hiker for a long time. Usually these days, if I am going to by a flowing stream, then I just use Aqua Mira. Much lighter and more compact.
I'm still pretty new to fly fishing, but I get a lot of content about constantly cutting and tying onto your leader to keep a perfect length and taper for whatever you're throwing. It can be tough to sort out what's most necessary.

Build a couple 4-piece rods for < $200 each. It will take you of one rabbit-hole and drop you into another one. (Blank manufacturers provide a warranty.)
Ya know I never seriously considered building a rod before, but if I can build my own fly rod for roughly 1/4th the cost of a purchased rod, sounds like something I have to seriously consider!

Are there any blank manufacturers you can recommend that sell a variety of blanks?

Also, do you have any preferred links that go over the build process?

I didn't intend to hijack the backpacking discussion, but...
I'm still pretty new to fly fishing, but I get a lot of content about constantly cutting and tying onto your leader to keep a perfect length and taper for whatever you're throwing. It can be tough to sort out what's most necessary.
A good leader recipe and knot-tying skills will take you out of having to purchase manufactured tapered leaders. Of course, you'll then be deciding which spools to purchase of which material and which sizes.
You'll also get a lot of practice tying blood knots and double-surgeon's knots.
Ya know I never seriously considered building a rod before, but if I can build my own fly rod for roughly 1/4th the cost of a purchased rod, sounds like something I have to seriously consider!

Are there any blank manufacturers you can recommend that sell a variety of blanks?

There are other threads on this site if you search by "rod build" with a lot of related information. I like flyrodcrafters, hookhack, and Jann's Netcraft but there are many other sources. You can get kits that include all the components except (sometimes) wrapping thread.

Just to be clear, my post was supposed to say a TIPPET RING, not tippet right.

Maintaining a perfect length leader, the proper tippet size, etc is overstated in importance in my opinion. It depends on the conditions of the streams.

Maintaining a perfect length leader, the proper tippet size, etc is overstated in importance in my opinion. It depends on the conditions of the streams.
I appreciate that perspective, as someone who likes to minimize my gear, and maximize utility of it by way technique and trickery. Of course I like hearing about how to achieve the perfect presentation, but I'm more interested in "Works pretty well most of the time" setups.

I appreciate that perspective, as someone who likes to minimize my gear, and maximize utility of it by way technique and trickery. Of course I like hearing about how to achieve the perfect presentation, but I'm more interested in "Works pretty well most of the time" setups.
From my experience, obtaining the perfect presentation is much easier if you are a great caster. Just learn to cast.

Back