Any flyfishing options for Chincoteague VA?

T

tddeangelo

My family and I are headed there mid-July. I typically take surf rods, and will do so again.

Are there any flyfishing options down there anyone would recommend? I have a 7wt Sage Payload with a 7wt WFF Rio Outbound Short line on it that could be used for this purpose. I'm not aware of any, but I've never flyfished in salt, nor surf (although bay-side is an option, of course).

Figured it work the ask!

You're at the northern edge of abundant redfish range.

I know they get bull reds feeding in the surf in September.

I've heard a little talk of reds(puppy drum) inside the barrier islands between Chincoteague, and the Bay Bridge Tunnel. It's a very vast area, and would be a lot for a casual angler to explore on their own, but just throwing it out there. Anyone else have info on this area?

Last edited:
I can't speak to the area but I can speak about using a fly rod in the surf. It is AWESOME. I clobbered Spanish Macks and Blues in the Outer Banks years ago. I used a 9 weight. It worked great. Clouser minnows were all that I needed.

I can't speak to the area but I can speak about using a fly rod in the surf. It is AWESOME. I clobbered Spanish Macks and Blues in the Outer Banks years ago. I used a 9 weight. It worked great. Clouser minnows were all that I needed.
Nice! What area were you fishing? I’ll be down on the OBX in few weeks, and hope to get into some fish, though I know it can be hit or miss

Any size/color suggestions on the clousers?

Assateague is only about 150 yards wide where I usually park on the beach (way far south near the “hook”). I can very easily walk to the bay side and fish in the bay if the surf isn’t working out. Often the surf on Assateague is somewhat rough.

Most of what I hear about being caught are kingfish, croakers, occasional drum….. the flounder are fast moving to deeper water.

My usual advice to newbie salt FFers hitting the beach in summertime. . . is to take your fly rod rod (your 7WT is fine) and put on a Clouser or some other other fast sinking streamer on the smaller side (think 2-4" in total length), and hit the beach at dawn and dusk. If you can rent a kayak and get on to some back bay flats to wade, all the better. Avoid the beaches during the day - too many people and likely poor fishing.

The area you're visiting could see a variety of fish but I would mainly target flounder and speckled trout.
Good luck. Post a report when you get back.

I won’t have people to fight with.

The VA (southern) end of Assateague allows 4wd travel on the beach. I go a couple miles from the entry point. Usually I don’t have anyone within 100 yards. Sometimes it’s hundreds of yards to the next person.

7wt is good in bay, 9 wt for surf (wind and waves) rattle clouser in orange black and gold for reds. clousers in chart., silver, white in surf with poppers, and all white deicever with silver too.

I'm a little late to the party but I've caught a few little black bass and a flounder behind the beach in Toms Cove just wading around while the family was at the beach. Besides that I would say try at the bridge from chincoteague to assateague. I've heard there are a good number of stripers there sometimes. Other than that its kind of tough down there without a boat. 99% of the fisherman down there are drifting the bottom for flounder from a boat.

Back