All about quills

The Epeorus genus in Pa is considered to be very sensitive to pollution. No surprise, but my staff and I rarely found representatives of that genus in SE Pa and never in anything but sparse numbers. I believe most were found in the Blue Mountain and upper Schuylkill basin areas of the region, although last year while helping with a youth field day I collected one in Mill Ck, trib to Sacony Ck near Kutztown. So there are some places in the region away from the Blue Mtn and Schuylkill Co section where they have been found, but as I indicated they have been sparse wherever I’ve found them.

The Epeorus genus in Pa is considered to be very sensitive to pollution. No surprise, but my staff and I rarely found representatives of that genus in SE Pa and never in anything but sparse numbers. I believe most were found in the Blue Mountain and upper Schuylkill basin areas of the region, although last year while helping with a youth field day I collected one in Mill Ck, trib to Sacony Ck near Kutztown. So there are some places in the region away from the Blue Mtn and Schuylkill Co section where they have been found, but as I indicated they have been sparse wherever I’ve found them.
I have found blue quills in bucks county in a few small streams

I have found blue quills in bucks county in a few small streams
Mike is posting about Quill Gordons aka Epeorus pleuralis.

No doubt that Quill Gordons are seen few and far between in SEPA while blue quills seem to be more common.

My understanding is Quill Gordons are only found in stream with very high quality water.

Back