Access to Mud Run's Mouth

jeffroey

jeffroey

"Fishing" for a little info about accessing the mouth of Mud Run and whether it's worth the hike in considering you run out of state park pretty quickly.

Would appreciate a PM to start the discussion.

Thx.

"Fishing" for a little info about accessing the mouth of Mud Run and whether it's worth the hike in considering you run out of state park pretty quickly.

Thx.

Thx.
Did that a few years ago.Hike down Hickory Run down to the river and down the train tracks to the mouth of Mud.If this is legal or not I'm not sure,RR tracks are private property.There was about 200 ft of open stream and then a cable across the stream with no a trespassing sign.This property was Greystones Preserve but was recently sold to a developer.Weather this will open Mud Run to the public remains to be seen.I caught 2 big stocker bows and I would say at this time it's not worth the walk.

Thx Veal.

I'm sitting on contact info for the developer and plan to ask for permission to fish upstream of the cable before making the trip.

CRB: I thought about biking it but I don't think the bottom of hickory run proper is too bike friendly, at least not for me. I'd hike down it to the rail line - the red trail I think.

There's also Goulds Run in the mix - another short run that looks like it would be worth throwing a line in.

Did that a few years ago.Hike down Hickory Run down to the river and down the train tracks to the mouth of Mud.If this is legal or not I'm not sure,RR tracks are private property.There was about 200 ft of open stream and then a cable across the stream with no a trespassing sign.This property was Greystones Preserve but was recently sold to a developer.Weather this will open Mud Run to the public remains to be seen.I caught 2 big stocker bows and I would say at this time it's not worth the walk.
I saw something a while ago about building homes where Greystones was. Part of the pitch was access to private fishing on Mud Run. I don't have any inside information, but based on what I read, I doubt that section of Mud Run will be public.

I saw something a while ago about building homes where Greystones was. Part of the pitch was access to private fishing on Mud Run. I don't have any inside information, but based on what I read, I doubt that section of Mud Run will be public.
Hmmm, homes with private access to Mud Run. Isn't that what Greystones was all about? Not sure that will be a money maker for any builder.

The development plan looks to build houses throughout the property, development style.

Appreciate the info from all. Ive hiked more for less so Ill probably find myself burning a summer weekday and hike it. If I do, I'll report back anything significant.

It's a shame the state didn't jump on this one.Just under 4000 acres and 3 miles of Mud Run and as I recall,7 cottages/houses for $10,750.00.This would been a great addition to Hickory Run SP.

It's a shame the state didn't jump on this one.Just under 4000 acres and 3 miles of Mud Run and as I recall,7 cottages/houses for $10,750.00.This would been a great addition to Hickory Run SP.
I'm guessing you missed a comma and a 0 right?

For 10,750.00 I'm kicking my own *** for not knowing and offering 12,000.

I have fished that section a couple of times. I would agree with vealboy, it's not worth a lot of exertion to get there. It's OK, but there's not that much to it.

It's been a number of years since I did it, but I've walked down from the Tannery. As I recall we fished quite a lot of nice water in the gorge between the Tannery and Mud Run. The mouth of Mud Run was nothing special but it made for a nice day.

It's been a number of years since I did it, but I've walked down from the Tannery. As I recall we fished quite a lot of nice water in the gorge between the Tannery and Mud Run. The mouth of Mud Run was nothing special but it made for a nice day.
Did you take the tracks down or did you walk down the bank ... the bank looks tough with all the dead drift.

Thats Crazy talk Vealboy, buying 3 miles of a stream in a dual angler access easement and conservation easement to protect it from development and increase angling opportunities.

It’s impossible(except for DCNR who just unveiled 2 new large state parks they bought this year)!

Its not like PFBC had access to tens of millions of dollars to do this sort of thing that could have been better spent.

F355FD7B F111 4240 9529 594E663D735C

That is crazy,what was I thinking?

I hiked down the RR tracks many years ago. Agree with all the other reports. Not worth the hike. Caught one 8-inch wild brownie. I was also interested in fishing the Big Lehigh in the section at or below where Mud Run dumps in, but it was very inaccessible (steep drop-off) in that section and for quite a distance downstream as well. A better option might be to go on the west side of the river at the Tannery and walk down to Sandy Run. Supposed to be wild browns in that stream (maybe 15-20 feet wide, low gradient, plenty of legal access).

Back