Access question

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

One of my favorite stretches of a brook trout stream became posted about four years ago. There was an old home on the property that was completely dilapidated. Someone came in cleared the property and put a camper on it. They had no trespassing signs everywhere and made many improvements to the land.

Anyway, I'm out in western Maryland with my boys for spring break and we drive by the property. All traces of them being there are gone. Everything they had on the property including the posted signs have been removed. I started thinking maybe they were squatters??? You think I'm OK to start fishing it again?

People post property they don’t own or post property with deeded state-owned fishing rights to limit access all the time. I would recommend onX or tax maps to quickly find out just who owns the land before potentially trespassing.

Mark C

Yes. Fish it.

If possible don't park on their property or near it though. Out of sight, out of mind.
And wear dark sunglasses, camouflage, and a flak jacket.

Two different times I've had people "just happen" to start target shooting at the same time that I began fishing the stretch of stream flowing through their property. Amazing coincidence, right? Neither property was posted.

Also, cameras are everywhere now.

I'd potentially check the tax map too, see if ownership changed recently.

This question is a loaded gun on this site. (No metaphor to the above discussion about shooting intended.) Second only to the native/invasive threads. I know you know that Ryan.

I don’t know Maryland’s access laws very well in comparison to PA, but, assuming it’s similar or the same to PA, as a father, I’ll offer this…If you want to fish it again, I’d try fishing it for the first time without your sons there. Just in case something happens.

Where is this, exactly? I'll check it out and report back. Never can be too sure on those brookie streams, ya know?

This is totally not an answer to your post at all, but apparently squatting is a pretty big problem in many areas these days. Sad, isn't it?

This is totally not an answer to your post at all, but apparently squatting is a pretty big problem in many areas these days. Sad, isn't it?
What really amazes me about this phenomenon, is that it happens at multi-million dollar mansions, often on the west coast. You'd think the owners, generally people of great means, would have no trouble ousting these slugs, but that's not the case at all in many situations. And yes, it's quite sad.

What really amazes me about this phenomenon, is that it happens at multi-million dollar mansions, often on the west coast. You'd think the owners, generally people of great means, would have no trouble ousting these slugs, but that's not the case at all in many situations. And yes, it's quite sad.

Great means does not equal balls

Contact the local MD Game & Fish enforcement officer and ask about access.

This question is a loaded gun on this site. (No metaphor to the above discussion about shooting intended.) Second only to the native/invasive threads. I know you know that Ryan.

I don’t know Maryland’s access laws very well in comparison to PA, but, assuming it’s similar or the same to PA, as a father, I’ll offer this…If you want to fish it again, I’d try fishing it for the first time without your sons there. Just in case something happens.
It's just very, very strange to me. There have been plenty of contentious threads involving property so I'm with you on that one. I'm going to do some research and try to figure out what's going. Right now I'm really thinking it was squatters on public land.

It's just very, very strange to me. There have been plenty of contentious threads involving property so I'm with you on that one. I'm going to do some research and try to figure out what's going. Right now I'm really thinking it was squatters on public land.
What does the OnX property app show the ownership as? If you do not have OnX and would like me to look it up, PM me the location and I will PM you back with who owns the parcel. OnX isn't perfect, but it is pretty dang good.

*Disclaimer - I couldn't care less about finding and fishing your stream. I will not broadcast its location or name. I have my own interests to keep me busy much, much closer to home. If I want brookies, I will drive 2 miles, not to Maryland.*

What does the OnX property app show the ownership as? If you do not have OnX and would like me to look it up, PM me the location and I will PM you back with who owns the parcel. OnX isn't perfect, but it is pretty dang good.

*Disclaimer - I couldn't care less about finding and fishing your stream. I will not broadcast its location or name. I have my own interests to keep me busy much, much closer to home. If I want brookies, I will drive 2 miles, not to Maryland.*
Thanks, will send you a pm. Can I drop you a pin on Google maps?

Back