A Lancaster County Brookie Stream

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
If the chubs are taking over a historically brook trout stream, I would day the chubs are a symptom of a greater problem. I'm sure chubs are forage for brook trout, also. Small fish have been eating big fishes eggs and big fish have been eating small for a long time. If the balance has changed, it isn't the fishes fault.

Where there are brookies there are almost always chubs, I know some streams in the SE that have both and the brookies are doing just fine. What no one has said is that brookies are predators and as they grow larger eat other fish almost to the exclusion of bugs and small stuff.
Some of the streams I fish it is obvious, because when left at the top of the food chain as the primary predator, brook trout grow quite large they can't do that eating just bugs. That's why I'm always saying where ever you find a big brown you could find a big brookie if brookies were the top predator.
Put brown trout into a brookies stream and you almost always tip the balance in favor of brown trout, that's another reason to not stock brookie streams. Even if there are large brokk trout in a watershed the browns tend to take over. And don't talk to me about introduction of, pike, smallies and other non native fishes into brookie drainages. The brookies almost never survive.
Sal, I wouldn't worry to much about chubs, but keep an eye on the stream. The time of the year may have something to do with where the brookies may be found.
afish, don't worry about Saucon Creek, there are plenty of trout there, I've been taking photos of them.

Chaz: "afish, don't worry about Saucon Creek, there are plenty of trout there, I've been taking photos of them."

No doubt Chaz, but the flood a few years back did a job on the stream. The Saucon has great potential if given a little TLC.

Where is this stream? I need some bass bait...

are you serious? LOL. which ones do want to use at bait the chubs or the trout?;-)

p.s. Recent visits to this stream confirmed what some of you said. The "problem" took care of its self and the chubs have moved out. Most likely too acidic for them to live in. All my worry for nothing but i thought it was an interesting subject to say the least.

The chubs of course. I love fishing for brook trout but chances are the stream maybe a little too small for my liking. I am hoping a trip to rattling run however.

Back