A dozen top flies for PA trout streams

Afish -

Thanks for this list. I'm considering it my "These are the flies I need to be able to tie" list.

I can do a couple of them that are at the "Fish-able" stage, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

At least I know I can affectively tie two of the ten(green weenie and San Juan))lol.

it may be a knockoff of a hares ear but a walts worm is ez to tie and very productive. thats the most overlooked fly by far.

buzz wrote:
it may be a knockoff of a hares ear but a walts worm is ez to tie and very productive. thats the most overlooked fly by far.

I've been thinking about this lately, I have been tying flies and flyfishing for over 30 years and have never tied or fished a Walt's Worm. They definitely look like they would work very well and I would advocate any new fly tyer to tie up some of these to catch your first fish on your own fly. Guess I'll have to crank out a few to fish on tandem rigs just to see it they beat out some of the higher tech patterns.

The first fly that I learned how to tie (way back in High School) was the Muskrat Nymph (no tail, no hackle, no legs ..... just muskrat fur with guard hairs dubbed on a nymph hook. They still work today just as well as they did back in the early 80's. Today when I tie them I usually throw on a woodduck fiber tail and maybe a soft hackle but I think that it all for me and not the fish. Keeping it simple is sometimes the answer.

^ I catch fish on muskrat nymphs. I did so this past weekend, as a matter of fact.

It was also the first fly I was taught to tie.

Just ordered some of these I got them from streamflies.com they were around 50 cents each and free shipping in orders over 30 dollars
Thanks afishinado for the info very helpful

This is a great list for a beginner fly fisherman, I am a beginner and I use these flies regularly.

One tip I would give to the beginner fisher / tier.

One of my favorite flys is a zebra midge for these reasons.

Anyone can tie one, a lot of flies are difficult to tie, and even if you can tie them sometimes your confidence is low for the beginner because there not tied perfect and a lot of times you feel as though your not confident in it and would rather fish with store-bought flys.

Anyone can tie a zebra midge, and then go out and actually catch fish with it basically anytime during the year.

I caught my first fish on a fly rod with a zebra midge that I tied and it was one of the most satisfying experiances ive ever had

Awesome list. I'm definitely a self proclaimed novice and have had good luck with most of those, although I probably don't nymph as much as I should.

Only fly I would add is a small popper, I know this says for trout streams but it's an easy fly to extend the fishing into summer for other fish.

Also as a novice tier I will definitely give that zebra midge a try, thanks Sal.

afishinado wrote:
(notice I didn't say the dozen top flies...but if I had to select 12 flies, these would be in my box)

After one acquires an 81/2 or 9’ 5 wt rod with matching 5wt floating line and a 71/2’ 3x tapered leader with a spool of 4x and 5x tippet, one can now look at flies.

Sinking flies:

Wooly Bugger – Size 8 in dark olive w/ a black tail is my go-to. Having some black or white ones and a few a little smaller or bigger would be ideal. Fish anytime / anywhere – drift and/or strip.

Hares Ear Nymph – size 10 – 16 w/ and w/o beads. Natural is my favorite, but a few in olive or black would round it out. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

Pheasant Tail Nymph – Size 12 – 16 w/ and w/o beads. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

Green Weenie – Size 12. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

San Juan Worm – Size 12. Fish anytime / anywhere – dead drift

Soft Hackle – Size 12 – 16. Pheasant tail, Partridge and Orange, Partridge and yellow, peacock to name a few popular ones. Dead drift, swing, hang or strip. All will catch fish.

Floating flies:

Blue Wing Olive – Size 14 – 18 (early and late season mayfly hatches)

Adams – Size 10 – 18 (for dark mayflies)

Sulphur – Size 10 – 18 (mid-season light-colored mayfly hatches)

Beetle and/or Ant – Size 14 – 18 (Spring - late summer)

Griffiths Gnat - Size 18 - 22 ( For midges - very small insects - all year round)

Elk Hair Caddis – Size 10 – 18 in Tan, Black and Green for caddis hatches and/or stonefly hatches all season.

Note: Mayflies have an upright wing and look like sailboats on the water.

Caddis have wings shaped like a tent over their body.

Stoneflies have wings that fold flat over their bodies.
Is there a beginner fly kit that includes these for a newbie? Online would be helpful as many "near" me don't have online shops and I don't have the time right now to drive to one further away to investigate. Thanks

Just found this post and wanted to bring it Back to the top.

This is such a great list of flies it's worthy of a sticky post!!

Thank again A-Fish!

Good list. Carry most of the sub-surface ones. With a PT Nymph soft hackle being my most effective pattern. I'd swap out the Elk Hair Caddis for a CDC and Elk(deer hair). Only two materials, easy to tie, maybe more effective than the Elk Hair caddis. I wish I had that list when I first started fly fishing.

Although there's nothing I would argue with on the list, the "dozen" is 26 different flies, or 84 if you count all the sizes (and that's assuming you only count even sizes.)

It also doesn't specify style of tying ("Catskill", parachute, or comparadun -- I carry all three for sulfurs, e.g.).

A good list, but it doesn't really narrow down the number of flies the beginner should carry, especially since he would want several of each.

This is a great list, I think as a beginner I'm often working on Technique, and I'd like to know that what I have on the end can be effective under most conditions. That way once I start catching fish (hopefully) it can be attributed to good technique. If I'm fishing something I have no clue about I don't know if I'm not catching fish because of my technique or because the fish aren't interested...

I have been purchasing flies from Flydealflies.com.

inexpensive, decent quality flies.

Check them out

redietz wrote:
Although there's nothing I would argue with on the list, the "dozen" is 26 different flies, or 84 if you count all the sizes (and that's assuming you only count even sizes.)

I think you could safely do without the the largest size of each dry and nymph listed and perhaps the next largest size also. For example, I don't think I've ever used a #10 for a sulfur hatch, or even a #12 and a #10 EHC is a dang big caddis.

It also doesn't specify style of tying ("Catskill", parachute, or comparadun -- I carry all three for sulfurs, e.g.).

The traditional Catskill style should be assumed IMO. At any rate a raw beginner will have none of the various styles, so simply having any of them in the appropriate size will greatly improve their situation.

However, just listing "sulfur" among more specific names like Adams and EHC is pretty vague.

A good list, but it doesn't really narrow down the number of flies the beginner should carry, especially since he would want several of each.

I dunno. You could strip that list down to bare bones and still be an effective fisherman. I could easily make do with only one size of most of those flies and eliminate some color variations. However, subsurface caddis imitations are underrepresented on that list. A tan or olive #16 sparkle pupa and a green larva imitation would round out the list for me.

On the other hand there are a ton of flies I fish the heck out of that aren't on that list, like Copper Johns and Prince nymphs. Regardless, the flies from that list are going to catch at least some fish most of the time and produce decent results most of the time.

Kev

PennKev wrote:
redietz wrote:

I think you could safely do without the the largest size of each dry and nymph listed and perhaps the next largest size also. For example, I don't think I've ever used a #10 for a sulfur hatch, or even a #12 and a #10 EHC is a dang big caddis.

The traditional Catskill style should be assumed IMO. At any rate a raw beginner will have none of the various styles, so simply having any of them in the appropriate size will greatly improve their situation.

However, just listing "sulfur" among more specific names like Adams and EHC is pretty vague.

I dunno. You could strip that list down to bare bones and still be an effective fisherman. I could easily make do with only one size of most of those flies and eliminate some color variations. However, subsurface caddis imitations are underrepresented on that list. A tan or olive #16 sparkle pupa and a green larva imitation would round out the list for me.

On the other hand there are a ton of flies I fish the heck out of that aren't on that list, like Copper Johns and Prince nymphs. Regardless, the flies from that list are going to catch at least some fish most of the time and produce decent results most of the time.

Kev

The point of the whole fly selection is to simplify it for a complete beginner. As you know, one of the first things (after the beginning FFer tried to figure out which rod, reel and line to buy :roll:) is walking over to the fly bins and seeing 10's of thousands of flies sitting there. Almost no one has the money and if they did, the knowledge to select all the most useful patterns to begin FFing.

I used the KISS principle to help beginners get started.

Size > Shape > Color

No need to know the names of the flies hatching or even the names of the flies in your box.

When a newbie FFer asked which flies should I use, I would often tell them....if you see a fish taking small dark fly on the water......use a small dark fly!

Further I let them know with dries you have up-wing flies, to imitate insects that look like little sailboats on the water (aka mayflies) and downwing flies (aka caddis or stoneflies) plus land based insects that fall in the water (aka terrestrials)

Specifically I chose the sulfur pattern as the light colored mayfly in the selection, so if a beginner sees a light colored fly with wings like a sailboat they can select the light colored fly in their fly box. Plus sulphurs are the most common mayfly found in PA streams. The sulphur pattern can be use to imitate all light colored mayflies like cahills, march browns, female hendricksons, etc. That's why I recommend different sizes.

I chose the adams pattern because it has caught a gagillion fish, and can be used for matching dark sailboat-winged flies. So the adams can match BWOs, the ISOs, Quill Gordons and all other darker colored mayflies.

If you see a light colored downwing fly without sailboat wings (downwing) use that fly. That would be the Elk hair Caddis. It can match many caddis hatches as well as stonefly hatches. And the larger sizes of EHC can match golden stones or even grasshoppers on the water.

Anyway, boiling things down to light and dark and up-wing or down-wing flies in different sizes simplifies the dry fly selection puzzle in the fly shop as well as on the stream.

Hell, if I'm out there and don't have the "right" pattern, I pretty much do the same thing > size > shape > color.....the fish don't seem to mind most times.

I've been fly fishing for 20 years and I don't know most of the correct names of my flies.....I just say "These ones". And leave it at that. :)

"Approximating the Hatch (a KISS method)"
by Afishinado

1. One midge dry
2. One midge pupa
3. One #14 EHC in light brown
4. One Adams
5. One #14 pheasant tail
6. One #14 hare's ear soft hackle
7. One #12 olive wooly bugger
8. One #14 black ant

I have often been rewarded by having to switch flies because I ran out of the successful pattern. This is how you learn, I think.

JackM wrote:
"Approximating the Hatch (a KISS method)"
by Afishinado

1. One midge dry
2. One midge pupa
3. One #14 EHC in light brown
4. One Adams
5. One #14 pheasant tail
6. One #14 hare's ear soft hackle
7. One #12 olive wooly bugger
8. One #14 black ant

I have often been rewarded by having to switch flies because I ran out of the successful pattern. This is how you learn, I think.

Don't get me started. Too many guys are so afraid of getting skunked that they won't cut off a fly that catches them 6 fish in order to tie one on that will get them 12. Same goes for switching overall techniques.

My list.

1. Tan RS2
2. Sexy Walt's Worm
3. Soft Hackle
4. Black ant ( both dry and drowned)
5. White Slump Buster
6. Honey Bug
7. PT
8. Parachute Adams
9. Tan Caddis
10. Blood Dot

Back