Your largest wild/native trout?

wildtrout2 wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
I got a pretty good chuckle looking at the OP, with skin mounted wild brown and signature line "Protect the resource, let them go".
You're easily amused. That's one of a total of 2 (both worthy of mounting) wild trout that I've kept in 30 years of fishing. Do you find that contradictory to my sig to the point that it's necessary to mention?

Give this man a valium. I think jdaddy was poking you in the ribs, not calling you out. Chill. Breathe. Relax.

osprey wrote:
Wild.....it's your God given right to kill and have mounted as many wild trout as is legally permitted that you want to........but.......protect the resource , let them go.
So, I guess I can't call myself a C&R fisherman ha? lol I caught and released my best ever (13 1/2") native last year. Many guys will never see one that big, let alone catch one. Simple point, not that there should have to be one, is releasing 99.9% of my trout still makes me a C&R guy.

Can I have the valium?

Steve, actually.....never stop posting that pic. I can honestly say I dont think anyone is sick of looking at the fins on that bow. I have never seen any EVER that defined on a trout. Its very nice indeed. :)

My largest wilds:

15 wild brook trout from Slate Run. Sorry no pic of that fish. I really really wish I had one. It was beautiful. I do have a pic of a Schuylkill County Brook that I cherish. One of the most beautiful I ever caught in PA.
BeautifulMaleBrookie.jpg

Largest Wild Bow from a Limestone Spring. Went around 25. No pic of that fish either.

Largest Tiger from a Limestone Spring. Calm down! its pretty but not wild :p My brother caught this fish. Just thought I would throw a nice fish pic here.
607.jpg

Largest Wild Brown to date I have a pic of and posted it here years ago. Caught in a York County Freestone stream.

HPIM3149.jpg

HPIM3151.jpg

Interesting enough, a certain someone is going to check this place out 2morrow and its not me :-( Good Luck Bro! Though I got a feeling these big browns are more seasonal. We will try this Summer to see if any return.

I have had larger wild browns hooked and lost......most from the Lackawanna River. One of these dang days Ill show you guys what a non Delaware River Super Trout looks like ;-) The shear size of those fish are amazing and they are by no means pushovers.

I saw a wild brown this size in the Letort before. I was on the bank in the shade looking down at the undercut I was over. About 20 small browns at the base of that undercut. I looked up for a second and a brown that has to be WELL over 6-7lbs was slowly swimming upstream. He scared the crap out of me in that crystal clear water as he started to swim past me. I could see every detail and spot on the side of that fish. He had a kype and was very very colorful. Looked more reddish than yellow. Just as I started to puzzle together a way to catch this fish (let him swim past and get upstream, get in good position, make sure your in position to throw over the cress between you and him and cast to him soft/slow)....he saw me somehow. He darted directly at me and went under that deep undercut at lightning speed. I did not expect this and it actually kinda startled me again. Funny thing was the 20 small browns I was looking at turned into about 50 from under that undercut. They almost looked like glass that was dropped/ shattering and scattering across a marble floor outward in all directions. The bank explosion from the Tomahawk Trout Missile..........startled me again. :lol: Remembering this makes ME need a valium too. Do we have a PAflyfish Rx here? We need a large order in this thread. Ill take 2.

By far one of the coolest things I ever saw while on the stream and a memory that I will never forget. Come to think of it now, while I would have loved to land that fish.......this was better.

The mystery and memories of my failures on the Letort I cherish with all my heart. :)

Steve.......i'm with Sal on the rainbow pics , especially to be caught "out west here" Falling Springs or some other down easterns , yeah , but out here .........priceless.......don't tell where i don't blame you , post the pic from time to time to emphasize potential. SAL......are you positive that Tiger is a stockie? Looks ...............wild , beauty brookies n browns too , i miss livin on BS and the rest of the east , but as Steve shows , we have our days. TL2all.

Ya I am 100 percent positive. The stream he was caught out of has a 0 percent brookie population. I just think he was a stocked fish that was there for a pretty long time.

Sal, your brown, I caught one of those, in one of "those places". You know. I think we discussed this whole thing a while ago.

Only it wasn't nearly as large as yours, but larger than the other typically small wild ones I catch. :cool:

Fifteen years of fly fishing, one day I'll have a hero shot of me holding +20" wild trout.

So far, it seems, I can only manage to land a nice 17"- 18" rainbow every so often. :oops:

My largest "native" was this brookie from Black Creek in Carbon County. He went about 12" or so and was one of only a few fish landed that day on what I came to find out is a relatively "dead" waterway. Took a green weenie...:-D

Shantyrunbrookie1.jpg

wgmiller wrote:
My largest "native" was this brookie from Black Creek in Carbon County. He went about 12" or so and was one of only a few fish landed that day on what I came to find out is a relatively "dead" waterway. Took a green weenie...:-D

Shantyrunbrookie1.jpg
It's ironic wgmiller, I encountered almost the exact same scenario on Black/Hays Creek a couple of years ago. I caught one nice 11" brookie and a small wild brown, and that was it! That really is a beautiful looking stream, it's a shame. I wonder what the story is?

wildtrout2 wrote:
wgmiller wrote:

Shantyrunbrookie1.jpg
It's ironic wgmiller, I encountered almost the exact same scenario on Black/Hays Creek a couple of years ago. I caught one nice 11" brookie and a small wild brown, and that was it! That really is a beautiful looking stream, it's a shame. I wonder what the story is?

Hayes/Black Creek and its apparent demise as a wild trout fishery has been discussed numerous times on this site. Back in the day (80's-early 90's) the stream was teaming with wild trout, not always easy to catch, but there nonetheless. I haven’t fished it for quite a while, but nearly every report has been the same...bad.

[url=http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Stream-Locations/Black-Creek-Hayes-Creek/4,13304,170211.html#forumpost170211]

Just caught this guy today at Valley Creek. Took a #22 BWO dry above the covered bridge in the park. I'm used to catching the smaller wild ones here, so I was pretty surprised when I set the hook and the fish made a serious run downstream. Not massive, but an awesome fish in my book.

Attachments

• IMG_20110327_144300.jpg
    IMG_20110327_144300.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 6
jay 348- thats a great fish from valley, my biggest wild trout came from valley to, if you wanna see it search valley creek and it should pop up as valley creek monster. I dont know how to post a pic on a forum yet, i prob could figure it out im just to lazy. he was prob about 15 or 16 inches im guessing i didnt measure him soo i dont know for sure, but i do know my grip on my rod is 7 inches so i judge it of that. check him out if you get the chance

here he is

Attachments

• 1500.jpg
    1500.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 5
thanks davey! your fish is definitely a beast for valley. i couldn't measure mine but i figure he was maybe 14" give or take. i try and get there every other couple weeks so shoot me a PM if you're planning on fishing there anytime soon.

My best wild brook trout as of saturday:

E14DY.jpg

Was admiring your Flooger, when I realized that brookie is HUGE!

That'll get the ol' adrenaline pumping. :cool:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Was admiring your Flooger, when I realized that brookie is HUGE!

That'll get the ol' adrenaline pumping. :cool:

He hooked but lost another that was slightly shorter. Sculpins, sculpins, sculpins . . .

Not big by any means, but it is not only one of my largest wild browns, but it is one of my first.

Attachments

• 4-9-14 copy2.jpg
    4-9-14 copy2.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 4
Not sure how many of the browns are wild but I think they all were. I am not familiar with what gets stocked and what doesnt up here, but I sure do love it! I saw a brookie in the same stream I caught all those others in, and it was pushing 15 inches. It was BEAUTIFUL.

GetAttachmentaspx-9.jpg

Image10172010143403-1.jpg

Image10172010143352-1.jpg

Image10022010170312.jpg

Image09062010151534-2.jpg

Image09062010151512-2.jpg

IMG_6962-2.jpg

Image02042011155138.jpg

Image10022010170326-2.jpg

downsize.jpg

Back