Winter Fishing ..

Also, don't think that it has to be snug fitting to keep you warm.

I prefer the "long-johns" to be close fitting, but the other layers will fit more loosely for ease of movement, as well as allowing perspiration to evaporate easier.

Got it gents .. I have a gore-tex LLBean jacket and just layer up underneath.

I have used breathable winter running tights and underarmor type shirts underneath when skiing so I'll go with that.

Seems the core temperature stuff is on here, but as for legs, I wear a silk weight or compressed fit long underwear, a heavier fleece (mid weight or polar weight) and then depending on temperature, sweat pants or jeans on top. For socks I use a cold weather liner with a wool sock.

And you don't need to spend a fortune on this either, Wlamart has all of it for cheaper than Cabelas, or use your off season hunting layers.

Now, I do have to ask, any recommendations for gloves?

Paulson wrote:

This is easy - get a pair of these.

You can find these at a lot of places. I've tried neoprene, fleece, and nothing beats these. Wool keeps you warm when wet, and holds up much better than fleece. They're cheap enough to just throw out when they get nasty, but also wash up well.

Keep a spare pair in your vehicle - it's easy to lose a glove when fishing.

Thanks HA, I was about to buy some of those anyway.

I take it a step past that and keep the spare pair in the back of my vest. When you are a long way from the car and you have wet or lost gloves, it is a lot easier.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Paulson wrote:

This is easy - get a pair of these.

You can find these at a lot of places. I've tried neoprene, fleece, and nothing beats these. Wool keeps you warm when wet, and holds up much better than fleece. They're cheap enough to just throw out when they get nasty, but also wash up well.

Keep a spare pair in your vehicle - it's easy to lose a glove when fishing.

i wear an under armor rollneck, an ll bean fleece lined flannel shirt, and a REI windproof jacket down to 40F.

total cost about $80 i reckon.

below 40F i nix the windbreaker and fish in a columbia ski jacket - $39 from TJ Maxx

Breaking the ice off the eyelets keeping the guides open and ice free is what winter fishing is all about.
I use a Prince haired Nymph about 3' below an indicator where I go, Usually the larger the nymph the better. Trout will easilly spend energy getting to a larger target or meal than something small. And although trout are a cold water species they still are effected by the change in temperature. Usually this time of year fishing is real slow. Look for deeper slower moving water with good rock coverage and take your time. Work the area from various angles. Wullybuggers work well during the fall/winter as well.

Clothing wise: long johns all the way. Sweater and a jacket. I will substitute long johns with sweatpants. and one of the hardest part to keep warm (the feet) I usually wear dress socks with wool over them. I have also put handwarmers in the arch area of the foot to help keep them warm. Hand warmers in with your gloves work well also. The best way to set this up is to use an insert (smaller/thinner glove) that will keep your hand from heating up too much or even getting burned. Do not bare skin contact them is my recommendation. If you put the hand warmer in the palm of your hand area and work the rod back and forth the hand warmer won't be to bothersome with the grip.

Make sure you have an extra set of clothes with you. That's what the large zippered area on the back is for on some fishing vests. Keep them dry in a plastic bag. Wet clothes won't keep you warm this time of year. I usually don't travel to far away from my car - so I keep mine inside.

Get underarmour leggings n long sleeve, north face fleece then neutral color north face jacket. Insulated pants and thick wool socks get me through the coldest of days. A little bit of Vaseline on the eyelits will work wonders when it's freezing.

underarmour is poopy compared to capilene layers by patagonia

they have 4 different layers, 4 being the thickest; expedition weight. They also have layers for your bottom half specifically made for fly fisherman.

I have 2, 3, and 4... usually wear 2, then 4, then wading jacket or switch it up depending on the conditions.

I second capilene. Kind of expensive I suppose, but its borderline magical. Crazy warm for its bulk. It just plain rocks. I wear 2-4 thoughout the year as my baselayer anytime its below 55ish. Dont underestimate the importance of a windproof outer layer too.

Anything Patagonia is good...including the fishing I hear.

mushumatt wrote:
... A little bit of Vaseline on the eyelits will work wonders when it's freezing.

Heh, read that fast and was wondering why the hell anyone would put vaseline on their eyelids when its cold out......

docsab wrote:
mushumatt wrote:
... A little bit of Vaseline on the eyelits will work wonders when it's freezing.

Heh, read that fast and was wondering why the hell anyone would put vaseline on their eyelids when its cold out......

Too much time in the office, not enough on the stream...

Volksnurse wrote:

Too much time in the office, not enough on the stream...

That's why you need to drag my sorry *** out to the stream whenever you get the chance. :)

stevehalupka wrote:
underarmour is poopy compared to capilene layers by patagonia

they have 4 different layers, 4 being the thickest; expedition weight. They also have layers for your bottom half specifically made for fly fisherman.

I have 2, 3, and 4... usually wear 2, then 4, then wading jacket or switch it up depending on the conditions.

I'll show my ignorance on this (even though I own some Patagonia Capilene)... Is Capilene Patagonia's name for their polyster-based layer clothing line? Or is there something more to the fabric that makes it "special"? The reason I ask is from a fabric perspective, I'm not seeing much of a difference (other than price) between my Capilene, and my $12.00 polyester no-name baselayer top I bought from Sierra Trading Post. I agree that a polyester baselayer is a critical piece to the layering setup. I'm just not sure what paying three times more for Patagonia vs. "Wickers Comfortrel" is getting me, other than the fact that the sizing and fabric on the Patagonia are consistent - the Wickers is a bit of a crapshoot.

Salmoniod - I believe alot of it is in the name....We seem to feel better when we wear name brand items vs unbranded items. Feeling good about your clothes makes your spirits feel better - thus you feel warmer in them. We have associated high cost items with high quality. We expect more as the price goes higher. The same feeling goes with fishing equipment. I myself have many St. Croix rods and would never again purchase a rod of lesser quality for myself. Ask yourself: Which would you feel better owning: a Ford Pinto or a Ford Mustang? A Chevy Vega or a Chevy Camaro?

docsab wrote:
mushumatt wrote:

Because they were out of Chapstick? :)

Haven't tried the Vaseline on the eyelets trick, but will give it a go next cold weather outing.

I'll try both of them this winter to see what works better for me.

all base layers are built different.

google why capilene is effective; eco-friendly as well!

Their layers seem to last longer than underarmour. I will say that I do, as my skin base, wear the heaviest underarmour long sleeve, then 2 layers of capilene w. my wading jacket in the coldest of days whether fishing, hiking, or playing outdoors w. my daughter. Anywhere from 0-30 degrees F

I never have problems moving my arms because of bulk and never get cold. I also bought a special hat from 'gonia that ice climbers wear. This w. Simms new winter gloves and wool socks keeps me mighty toasty and not sweating.

I just graduated college and have a child, so by no means do I have hundreds of dollars to sling around based on name alone, but

when it comes to keeping warm, and many other aspects of fly fishing, if people would realize that by buying quality items they last for years. So, 200 in layers for 6 years of use is pennies to me!

From Simms waders to custom builds, quality over quantity has saved me money and improved my fishing.

My 6wt, an rx8+ ($225 blank alone), was built to my specs, can chuck sink tips, fight carp and steel, yet still has the finesse to cast #18-20 midges on streams I have to throw long casts on. Since a close friend builds rods, I got what would be a $500 rod from a major retailer for $250.

Back