Winter Fishing ..

Andrew -

An important part of winter fishing is preparation. Great advice has been given on what and how to fish, but remember that you need to prepare yourself for winter fishing.

Dress in layers and overdress rather than under-dress. It's a lot easier to carry a backpack and store things in it that to try and get warm with nothing else to go to.

I like a vest over two layers when it is mildly cold, then add jacket as the temp drops. Be sure to try casting motions with whatever you choose for outerwear. You don't want too confining.

Thin gloves that are easy to get on and off. (knots are tough to tie with cold fingers

Warm hat - You really do lose a lot of heat through your head. (Particularly those of us that are thinned out on top.)

Good socks in layers. Make sure to wear a wicking pair next to your sking, then heaver ones on top. Note: You don't want your boots to be too tight - Cramping your feet will only cause them to get cold faster.

Golf or bowling towel to dry your hands. Wet hands get cold faster!

Wading staff - It gets even more slippery in the winter!

Dunk bag - complete change of clothes, including a jacket of some type. It's like car insurance - you don't want to use it but you will be damn glad to have it when you need it.

Used this methodology and fished all winter without too much suffering.

Dave

Good advice Dave!

As the great Fox once said: Start warm,stay warm.

^ nice. Think that's a D.quote, though.

Ha .. Great stuff Dave and u saved an extra thread abt clothing and layers. Thanks for the advice/info .. much appreciated. Need this f'en toe to heal as I had/have some Nov. days w/ time to fish and I can't. Jonesing for some fishing

Also stay away from anything cotton in winter!!!!!!!Wool or high tech stuff is the way to go, cotton absorbs your sweat (yes you will sweat a little) and gets very cold when wet.

mcfinn wrote:
^ nice. Think that's a D.quote, though.

Maybe...but since Fox is old, we'll give him credit...but yeah...sounds like you....

Totally recommend the balaclava (sp?), too... Love those fleece neck-things since, as VolksRN says, ' 95% of your body heat escapes FROM your body'.

Polar fleece is great stuff except for its lack of wind cutting ability. Put a nylon shell over it and it can keep you comfortable as part of a layering system.

All very similar to skiing

Am with DJS re:the fleece under any windstopper. Specifically, though around the neck/Vegas Nerve (sp on puprpose). Since we spend alotta time 'chin to chest' either tying up flies or their tippits, the neck freeze is something i'm finatical about trying to avoid.

Oh, as an aside, big ups to Lafuma for their windstoppability (which is awesome).

The Fox's awful travel schedule has mercifully come to an end for a few months. Winter fishing will definitely be on the agenda. Limestoners are my primary target and I'm always open to meeting up with anyone interested in putting up with me for an afternoon. Tight lines!

Foxgap239 wrote:
The Fox's awful travel schedule has mercifully come to an end for a few months. Winter fishing will definitely be on the agenda. Limestoners are my primary target and I'm always open to meeting up with anyone interested in putting up with me for an afternoon. Tight lines!
Fox, glad to see you made it home OK. We should get together again sometime this winter and fish.

+1 to the Fox being back.

Got confirmation that I will be traveling to CA on New Year's day and be spending 2 days out there working. Really don't like this trip.....

We'll be looking to hook up with you in the future Fox.

djs12354 wrote:
Polar fleece is great stuff except for its lack of wind cutting ability. Put a nylon shell over it and it can keep you comfortable as part of a layering system.

I don't disagree with a fleece/breathable shell system, but I am also a fan of the PolarTec WindPro fabric. It does a much better job of blocking the wind than regular fleece. Gore makes a fabric call WindStopper, but I don't like it, as its not terribly breathable. Whatever you wear, make sure you adjust your layers appropriately. You don't want to be too warm (and sweat) as that will actually chill you. Pit zips, for instance, are a great thing to have on your shell. You also don't want constricting or super tight clothing, as that might inhibit circulation. No circulation to an area means that area might freeze. Especially be aware of this with socks. You might be tempted to double up on socks to keep your toes worm, but may end up killing circulation to your toes by doing that, and actually make them colder.

On the subject of cotton, I think that can be summed up in two words - cotton kills. Its not a fabric one should wear when out in the winter elements. You risk hypothermia if you're geared up in it in the winter time.

if you fish a lot in the winter, especially for steel, which could expose you to weather in the 20's, invest the 100 dollars in the late spring for the following and never be cold again.

patagonia webspecials in May/June

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-capilene-baselayer-3-midweight-crew?p=44421-0-220

this ^ should be your first layer

2.) a wool overshirt

3.) http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-capilene-baselayer-4-expedition-weight-zip-neck-baselayer?p=43655-0-309

4.) wading jacket

I fish w. those 3 layers under my wading jacket, am mobile, and very, very warm. Just be sure to hydrate a lot because the capilene, like underarmour, will wicker and pull a lot of moisture out of your body.

Love2fish wrote:
Also stay away from anything cotton in winter!!!!!!!Wool or high tech stuff is the way to go, cotton absorbs your sweat (yes you will sweat a little) and gets very cold when wet.
Verry important!!
Also get boots one size bigger for more socks. Keep moving, move in and out of the water and not to deep. Take gloves off when moving and put them in side of your waders. You can dry your hands but when your gloves are wet they will be wet all day.
Good Luck!!
Sean

This thread should be kept at the top for the next few months, very pertinent information here. I fish all winter as well, all the things I practice are in here and then some. I love to catch trout in the snow, their's something special about doing that.

Any winter wading jackets you guys can recommend?
This weekends chill made me realize I can't go out in the thin wading jacket I have .. more for spring/Fall.

// JT.. doctor tomorrow so I have to ask when the soreness goes away. Have more movement and def feels like it healed yet it is still sore and hurts some .. 3 f'en weeks this AM and I had two weekends where the better 1/2 said take the day to fish :-x

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Any winter wading jackets you guys can recommend?
This weekends chill made me realize I can't go out in the thin wading jacket I have .. more for spring/Fall.

Mr. Lee - Don't think of a wading jacket as the "only" thing to wear above your waders.

Think of it as a system. The outer jacket only has to block the wind, keep you dry, and be breatheable. The stuff you wear under it will keep you warm in the cold, and you can adjust it as conditions warrant.

By adding something like a polypropylene underwear top/underarmor/capilene (etc), then a fleece shirt or jacket under your wading jacket, you have a layering system that can be adjusted as needed to stay comfortable. Breatheability is key, as is moisture wicking ability. Skip the cotton.

Buying different "warmth" wading jackets can get ugly expensive!

Back