Will glow in the dark flies actually work?

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Just a thought I had after I picked up some glow in the dark thingamabobbers.

If i were to pick up glow in the dark material or paint, would the trout actually be able to see them better? Just wondering if anyone knew how the trouts night vision would work. Would they see this as a bright glowing object or see it just the same as a white fly.

I have read that the last color they can detect before dark is red, so I was wondering if they can distinguish any colors at night or not.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Yes. I tie GID buggers and Caddis larva with this Uni-glow material you can buy. You have to charge it with a flashlight after a few casts, but it does work and fish do take it.

Trout seem less hesitant on the buggers, but I've had them take the nymphs. Bass love the GID streamers.

I actually caught a shiner last night while trout fishing with a glow in the dark bugger :)

Sometimes you just gotta test them and let us know.

I plan on it. There is a large hole that forms from Freeman run merging witht the first fork of the Sinnemahoning in Costello. I think on the first day I may gander down at dark and see how they work. I have to find a quick source for the material though. Maybe just get some glow in the dark paint and slap it on caddis larva or something.

i think this is why people tye with UV Chenille etc Mike, fish can pick up certain parts of the UV spectrum day or night.

leteras from the board sells a few kinds of the glow in the dark material. Check him out.

just ordered some from im off of ebay. 4.00 to my door. Just going to give it a whirle with some ugly heavy bugs.

But will they kill themselves by fighting for the material to the death? If not....epic fail for R.F.C.

I am hoping for a full on piranha like cannibalistic attack of these flies, they may even jump out of the water just from seeing the glow and take them out of my hand before i can even tie it on the hook. ;)

saltwater fish eat stuff that glows (phosphourence) but to most fresh water fish its a poisinous compound. some times it works other times 65% not.

Bioluminesence is a beautiful thing. I am hoping it works if not its only 4 dollars.

Being I will be targeting stocked fish, It may not matter either way just a thought i had.

Good point sandfly. As a kid, fishing for sunnies in farm ponds, i'd grab crickets, hoppers, ants, or any bug i could catch and throw it on the hook. I caught hundreds of sunnies doing that.
When it would start getting dark lightning bugs would come out and i would inevitably grab them and throw them on the hook. I never caught a single sunnie on a lightning bug. It wasn't until i was adult that i found out the reason why- lightning bugs are poisonous.

Interesting velly velly interesting, never knew that

true dat. most brightly coloured insects, arachnids are poisonous. those little cute tree frogs are super duper toxic.

i still think it works a bit - otherwise all those hotspot nymphs wouldn't work, or those pattens with underbodies that suggest luminescence.

I also bought some glow in the dark materiel from Leteras recently, and tied some sulpher spinners with it.
Will find out how they work next month

Don't forget to let us know if you see a difference, inquiring minds want to know!

My fishing buddy at Erie uses some flies with GID in them but the coole3st thing are the bobbers with the glow stick that you break just like a Greatful Dead concert.

I will have to ty the same pattern in a neutral color and drift each a few times to see if there really is a difference.

If you are testing these items because of something you saw or read I wish you the best of luck in your testing. I am not that adventurous - and I try to stay away from the commercially advertised specials we see on TV. (like the Mighty Bight) for the following reasons:
1. The people are paid to do the advertising, and people will sell anything just to make a few bucks (I.E. Pet Rock)
2. I believe the fish are lab fish and maybe underfeed to begin with and therefore would strike anything out of hunger. You could probably throw a paperclip on a line and get the fish to strike.
3. Do we really know what their eyesight perception is?
4. Rhymes and laughter in a commercial, to me, says their not confident in the product.

I didn't actually see this advertised anywhere. Just looking for a way to fish after dark, and just thought glow in the dark flies may work great or fail miserably. I figured for 4 bucks its worth a shot.

Just wondering also about the poisonus bright color remarks, why would they still take green weenies? I still never caught one on that fly but others have good success with them.

Back