Will glow in the dark flies actually work?

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
The first thing a fishing lure must catch is a fisherman.

I tied some green weenies with glow in the dark nightlight condoms about three years ago. I caught fish on them, but honestly it wasn't any better than the regular green weenie.

For night fishing, you're better bet is to throw something huge that moves water. Big fish don't really want to eat nymphs, not even if they glow in the dark.

As for color, trout can't see color at night because there aren't enough photons available to stimulate the associated rods and cones. It all looks like shades of grey to them (and probably for you too - but there is even less light underwater).

As for why fish eat the green weenie, refer to the pics below. It is actually the color of tasty food for trout.

P2170006.JPG
P5280011.JPG

Well maybe it's like fireflies to a young child. As I got older and bigger I paid less attention to them. Mike please keep track of the size trouts you catch. I have a feeling that the young immature ones undoubtly will make up the majority of your catch.

As for color, trout can't see color at night because there aren't enough photons available to stimulate the associated rods and cones. It all looks like shades of grey to them (and probably for you too - but there is even less light underwater).

This was my thought as to why this would not work as well as one might expect.

Penny I will keep track of the size of fish, but by this time at trout camp it may be tough to keep track of anything. LOL

Thanks again for the insight. Letaras already has the glow in the dark material at my house. THAT WAS FAST!!

By the way - my reason for trying this stuff, is simply to (hopefully) be able see the fly on the water after dark. I really doubt that luminance will attract the fish more to my fly - and maybe even keep the fish from hitting it.

double post

mike_richardson wrote:
I will have to ty the same pattern in a neutral color and drift each a few times to see if there really is a difference.

or fish a tandem nymph rig.

if you catch more on one, switch them over. if you still catch on the same then you know its the fly not the position...

I've seen the bioluminesents at night when I was out with a guide in Martha's Vineyard. He said once you see that the fish get picky and can be hard to catch. It usually means really clear calm water. Really cool stuff. Just not good for fishing in.

Is it just me or is there just something not quite right about putting condoms on Green Weenies. I mean FOLKS , has it come to this?

If your Weenies green you should have put one on it in the first place

Glow in the dark flies work, I used them today for steelhead in ohio. The glow in the dark halo eggs I used out preformed the regular ones and I used both. Anything that had the glow in the dark material they crushed. They wouldn't touch the regular stuff. This was during daylight too. My buddies and I put on a show on the grand fishing glow in the darks. So be skeptical if you want. They work for me. By the way Mike I hope you like the glow in the dark material. That was me who listed it.

Back