Why trout in the summer ( july and august) ????

Don't get me wrong guys I like to catch trout in the cooler months . And if I had year round cold water closer buy I would do it in the summer . Most of the wild trout streams around me push 70 in the summer so I believe its better for the fish to just leave them be the temp may be good when you check it but like Mike said thermal stress compounds over time . In my neck of the woods WW fish are bigger feistier and more readily available.

Mike (or anyone citing Mike's post),

Do you have a link to the study about the cumulative affects of 15-minute heating increments (degree days) on trout survival?

I like to fly fish for anything that can be considered a fish.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I've never drank with bikini-clad women while waiting for a hatch to start, but I have while waiting for the tide to turn.

A classic quote. Love it!

I love this movement. It just leaves more room on the trout streams for me and my thermometer haha. Happy small mouth fishin' boys!

...so to summarize

Tailwaters ok
Limestoners ok
Freeestoners No, unless Delayed Harvest/Put-and-take
WW absolutely

Do I got that right!?!?!?

foxfire wrote:
...so to summarize

Tailwaters ok
Limestoners ok
Freeestoners No, unless Delayed Harvest/Put-and-take
WW absolutely

Do I got that right!?!?!?

I fish some high elevation, WT freestoners - that are well shaded, and stay cold all summer.

I also know of a couple streams that are fed by, believe or not, cold mine discharge water. That is apparently clean enough to support wild trout.

Penns is a limestone stream but gets pretty warm in the summer.

MD_Gene wrote:
Penns is a limestone stream but gets pretty warm in the summer.

Penns is a limestone influenced stream, yes, but not a true limestoner in my opinion. Most of the great big waters in the state are only limestone influenced, which those tiny springs, seeps, and smaller feeders are what make the truly great and big brown trout streams of PA great. They also have a huge impact on warm water rivers and streams because all of that limestone influence still enriches and creates great life farther downstream.

A true limestoner, say Big Spring in Cumberland County or Tea Creek in Mifflin County, certainly stays quite frigid and fishable year round.

Back to the point of the thread, however, fly-fishing and trout go hand in hand for historic reasons, which everyone knows, and it is a super effective way to catch trout. It is also super-duper fun to fly fish for trout. If the waters are cold enough for wild trout fishing or even if it is a stockie stream that gets too warm, by all means fish for trout. If it is one of our truly great large limestone influenced streams that gets questionable, then avoid if you can resist.

P.S. my roots of fishing are bass and other "warm-water" quarry. I scoffed at trout for years because I did not know of the true abundance of wild trout fishing opportunities around me. I also scoffed at fly fishing, because my naivete made the correlation of trout and fly-fishing and I thought it sounded really dumb to throw tiny feathers and furs to stocked trout. The idea of a "stocked" fish is somewhat dirty to me and always has been.

Either way, just like I overcame my ignorance eventually, I am sure that the folks who detest WW fly-fishing would totally change their mind after a tremendous day of chasing some smallmouth with a fly rod.......

I will add that I know plenty of freestoners in my area that stay cold enough to fish all year long MOST years. Last year my favorite brookie stream was at 70 degrees and really, really low.

464FE5E6-D18B-4FB0-B38C-58F7020316DD_zpsv3i1rkwt.jpg

It doesn't matter what type of stream it is if the temps get high in the summer just leave it be until we have a a cold front or fall time.

Fredrick wrote:
464FE5E6-D18B-4FB0-B38C-58F7020316DD_zpsv3i1rkwt.jpg

It doesn't matter what type of stream it is if the temps get high in the summer just leave it be until we have a a cold front or fall time.

The closest trout stream to my house is the gunpowder, about an hour and a half away. Most of my trips are to western md or the yough in PA which is a little under 3 hours. Now these are all year round fisheries, none of them I would say are close to my home but doable for a day trip. Are there not places you can go where there are cold temps if you want to fish for trout ? What's with the warmwater push, is it solely to get people off the trout streams where you deem the temps are questionable? I spent a ton of time doing the warm water thing as a child, for the most part I'm over it. It was the only thing available to fish then and I did a ton if it. Maybe I'm just missing your angle on this leave the trout alone, come do what I do, you're a snob because trout streams are what you love thing.

Some of us around here have long been advocates for expanding one's FF horizons to include species other than trout. It's been a bit of a small agenda for me to promote this message.

Every year here on PAFF, we go through predictable cycles of FF discussion and one of these deals with warm summer water temps on trout streams. For those of us who love the WW game, we've long used humor - the whole "Warm Water Insurgents" gag that I made up - to send a friendly message that bass and other WW fishes are great fun, and available during the heat of the summer. All the hand wringing about trout stream temps and the implied loss of fishing opportunities across much of the state seems unnecessary to those of us who chase bass during the summer. There are other options if your local trout streams are warm.

If you love trout fishing and prefer that game...no problem. That's the wide view of many in this online community. We're a community of trout anglers around here. And yes, there's plenty of places to trout fish in the summer.

This small wild freestone stream was at 58F this morning. There are plenty of freestone streams that keep good summer temps, just have to look for them.

Attachments

• IMG_3268 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_3268 (Custom).JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 5
I've been able to fish mountain freestoners for 24 of the last 30 straight days now. I have not encountered a stream temp above 62. I ONLY fish mountain freestoners when the waters are flowing VERY well. I would never even get my boots wet on a mountain stream that was low or over 65 degrees. All of my past records and stream/precip data reconnaissance helps me to eliminate sub par water from my stream choice for the day. I'm still befuddled as to how people can consider what I do unethical??? Oh, and I only fish a stream once per year.

fayettenamese wrote:
I've been able to fish mountain freestoners for 24 of the last 30 straight days now. I have not encountered a stream temp above 62. I ONLY fish mountain freestoners when the waters are flowing VERY well. I would never even get my boots wet on a mountain stream that was low or over 65 degrees. All of my past records and stream/precip data reconnaissance helps me to eliminate sub par water from my stream choice for the day. I'm still befuddled as to how people can consider what I do unethical??? Oh, and I only fish a stream once per year.

Because you carry a thermometer???

Overall, I think this has really been a rather good summer for trout fishing, especially compared to last year.

This week I hit a local stocked stream in my neck of the woods that is usually populated only with bass and sunnies by the end of June. There were good numbers of stocked trout in every pool and I got a water temp of 68. I had to remind myself that this is mid-July.

'tis the season for smallies!!

I think some of you misunderstood my original statement .

If you have to concern yourself about stream temps and having to bring a thermometer with you because you are worried about the temps before you fish, you are in the wrong

This means if you know that the streams temps get high and you are trying to fish leave it be move on. Its not ethical to try and fish streams like this, in my Opinion but of course your entitled to yours.

Besides the select few streams that stay bellow 60 all year round This means that if its stays cold by all means fish it .

And if you only fish for trout that's your preference . But you are definitely missing out but that leaves more fish in the summer for me :pint:

What do you guys think of the meme ? I caught that fish yesterday it was 92 were I live.

Ryan, have you tried carp on a fly?...have you caught one on a fly?...try it...you may like it...isnt this 2017 where women can be men and men can be married to horses and such...times they are a changin'

Back