Why trout in the summer ( july and august) ????

So I take it your tailwaters stay cold all year long ?

Yes, believe it or not, such places do actually exist.

I love to fly-fish for coldwater, warmwater as well as saltwater fish. I really love the change of seasons and look forward to all four of them, and the type of fishing each brings.

But not every fly-fisher cares for the same thing(s). If one only enjoys fly-fishing for trout.........you're in the right place! Just choose one of the many PA spring creeks, spring-feed wild trout headwaters or tribs, or cold tailwater river.

With a minimal amount of effort and planning there is no reason not to get out there and fly-fish for trout or any other fish that swims.

There are 86,000 miles of streams in PA. That equates to more than three times the amount of miles around our planet Earth. If you can't find a few thousand miles of cold ones...........you're not looking hard enough.

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=980

Attachments

• fly-fishing.jpeg
    fly-fishing.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
I fish for trout year round and have the luxury of having several good limestone streams close by. Tricos, my favorite hatch of the year is just starting. They are exclusively a summer proposition. Can't wait to get after them! As long as the water is 70 or below I will be fishing.

I fish the North Branch of Potomac, haven't fished the Savage this year but usually fish it, and have added the Yough in PA since last year. These places are frigid year round with maybe the Yough getting warm a ways below the dam. After the sulphurs stop I declare it "Tailwater Season" with maybe a brookie trip mixed in and a trip or two to the Elk in WV. Believe it or not trout fishing can be done on 100 degree days and not be effected one bit on these bodies of water.

Pretty ignorant to not comprehend all resources before labeling a large population of us who do the same as me.

Yeah I remember in Tennessee it was 90 degrees but the stream was absolutely freezing ^

I'm not a trout snob, I'm a wild trout snob. :-D I always have my stream thermometer with me and check temps every time I fish, both in the morning and when I'm about to leave. I do this just for my own personal info, not because I'm afraid it's too warm to fish.

There are streams that stay plenty cold enough, even through the hot summers, if you know where to find them. Summer is some of the best trout fishing of the year, and the streams I fish don't go above about 63F, so I don't have thermal issues.

If you're just fishing for stockers, I don't know why anybody would worry about stream temps anyway. If it's too warm to fish, those trout will likely perish because of it. Those fish are there to be caught, it's that simple.

I think I started preferring smallies over trout just the past couple years. I still love monitoring the hatches and fooling trout but the expectations and anticipation of getting feisty smallies on the fly has become more and more exciting every year.

The Susquehanna has it's own diversity of hatches, especially the white fly.

I'll never understand why people identify with just one type of fish to fish for. I like trout fishing but I would never limit myself to fishing for just trout or just bass or just saltwater. I think the term snob fits perfectly.

ryansheehan wrote:
I fish for trout year round and pretty much exclusively. I don't like fishing ww, have done plenty of it just don't like it anymore. Call me a snob, I couldn't care less. I will do with my limited time what makes me the most
happy and you can do the same. I will take the four tailwaters I fish over smallies any day.

lucky man. I would too. even the technical ones, or maybe because they are technical...

To each his own (obviously).

Folks like Fredrick and I are mainly WW anglers, but I'll confess doing more trout fishing the last month than bass. For many FFers, fishing is synonoumous with trout. That's fine. But if you've never FFed for bass or other WW species and don't have cold trout water readily available, you're missing out on some mighty fun fishing.

So yes, we like to razz you trout snobs. :cool:

We Warm Water Insurgents may be crude and uncouth, but we get some good rod pulling fun during the heat of the summer rather than worrying water temps to chase little spotted sissy fish.

And remember the WWI motto: "Trout are for suckers!"
:pint:

poopdeck wrote:
I'll never understand why people identify with just one type of fish to fish for. I like trout fishing but I would never limit myself to fishing for just trout or just bass or just saltwater. I think the term snob fits perfectly.
Well I guess I am a snob then. To me when it comes to fly fishing trout is where it's at. Nothing else comes close to me. I will fish for pan fish with a fly rod but not often.

Dave_W wrote:
So yes, we like to razz you trout snobs. :cool:

We Warm Water Insurgents may be crude and uncouth, but we get some good rod pulling fun during he heat of the summer rather than worrying water temps to chase little spotted sissy fish.

And remember the WWI motto: "Trout are for sucker
:pint:
Dave, I like fishing for those little sissy spotted fish! What a great comment! LMAO

Give me a nice chunky, acrobatic Smallmouth, a slab of a Redbreast sunfish or a tank of a carp on my fly rod. Throw in there a screamin' reel and the sight of my backing flying out through the guides. A little bit of carp slime is good for the soul. I'm good!

I'm not super picky! I like catching all kinds of fish

I'm a trout guy, but do like the variety. Back 50 years ago when I started fly fishing I did it because that is what worked best in the summer - worms and spinners lost their mojo when June hit. Of course it was all about finding those cold water refuge areas, which anglers kept awfully secret. But I lived in the Lehigh Valley, so the limestoners kept me busy.

However, even back then I enjoyed one stocked river much better in the summer for smallies, redbreast sunnies, and rock bass. They sure fought harder and looked better than the stockies. And they slammed large dries and poppers in an exciting way.

Fast forward a few decades, and deer hair bugs for largemouth and shad flies are on the menu. Even a rare day fishing for redhorse or white suckers. And carp are a challenge. Unfortunately I have hit a few holes with large fallfish at times - on purpose.

On the sad side, the hatches at many of my rivers have been poor of late. I can clobber stocked rainbows on a pink squirminator or a mop, or I can tease smallies with pencil poppers. I would prefer to hit the evening sulphur hatch for wild browns, but that hasn't been happening for me. Most evenings on the trout stream have been sitting and waiting for something to happen that never does. Years ago, sulphur season was 4 to 6 weeks of catching rising fish at dusk every evening, if water conditions were OK. If that isn't going to happen, I'll find bass bug box and hit a warm water river.

I fish the salt in the summer.

I've never drank with bikini-clad women while waiting for a hatch to start, but I have while waiting for the tide to turn.

I fish for trout from feb to sept. Either tailwaters or sping creeks. From sept to feb I fish for lake run fish in one river, the only place I can avoid the circus atmosphere. I don't fish for trout from oct to feb to let them spawn and I don't fish for steelhead from feb until April to let them spawn.

I can walk to the one of the best, if not the best river in the ne for smb, yellow pike, muskie etc (it's located between lake Erie and lake Ontario). I grew up fishing for these species and have caught lots of each including plenty of big fish. I have a feeling eventually I'll target these fish again, but as of now I'm fishing for trout/lake run fish 99 percent of the time.

I will fish for anything that swims, as long as it's a trout.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I fish the salt in the summer.

I've never drank with bikini-clad women while waiting for a hatch to start, but I have while waiting for the tide to turn.

Definitely something to be said for that.
Did you happen to check the temperature???

Back