Why Glass

If you can find nail clippers at Goodwill, theyd be perfect.

They bring their girlfriend along in case there's a bear attack......that way she can protect them. She's the one with the shorter hair and the container of hummus in the back pack

krayfish2 wrote:

"Glass is better for protecting tippets or better for dry fly fishing". At the risk of sounding rude, I'll call BS. You can trico fish with a 7wt if you are a decent caster and have the proper leader set up. "Try and find a moderate action graphite rod"... Sound like someone hasn't been rod shopping in years.

Best statement yet..+1^

If you want to know about glass then come to this !

https://www.facebook.com/events/547566055399730/

and we are not hipsters !

I didn't read all posts or anything, but I think some people took it the wrong way when I said the word fad. I love fishing both my glass and graphite rods. No doubt about it through glass is seeing a rebirth right now. If it sticks around for quite a while then it isn't a fad. But if its popularity wanes within a few years and glass rods become harder to find, then I'd say it was a fad. I'll never stop fishing glass. I am getting another Featherlite soon. Great value.

shakey wrote:
i like glass and cane for the same reasons.

i feel the rod load better,i feel the fish fighting better and i break less tippet.

i doubt they'll ever make a graphite or boron rod that punches like a phillipson :)

oh,one thing i forgot,similar to protecting tippet.

the fight on a 5/6 weight rod in glass or bamboo(please don't call it "boo") is similar to the fight on a much lighter rod,like a 3/4,but,usually with enough back bone to bring them in quickly.

jifigz wrote:
I didn't read all posts or anything, but I think some people took it the wrong way when I said the word fad. I love fishing both my glass and graphite rods.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Shakey, I agree. Bamboo or cane.

I tried going back to my old glass rod, boy was that a wake up, I put the glass rod in the garage museum and it will stay there.

big difference between most old glass rods and lots of the newer ones. The new glass is much lighter, some of it is faster. Not saying all old rods are clubs, lot's of old rods, fenwicks, philipsons, etc, are still very good rods, even in this day and age. A good rod from 40 years ago is still a good rod today, it just doesn't match how some folks cast, but for some of us, it works perfectly.

I've owned quite a few so called "good" modern graphite rods, that I ended up selling because I just didn't mesh with them, they didn't fit how I like to cast and fish.

technology does march on, but in some cases, the old stuff still works.
not in skiing though, I'll take my modern pair of rockets any day over the planks of yesteryear!!!

Let me tell you about a blonde moment that I had.... I was driving home from work one day and an ad came on the radio talking about the PBR circuit/series/association coming to town. They kept talking PBR this and PBR that. The whole time I'm thinking what's the Pabst Blue Ribbon circuit/series... what are they talking about. I had to search it when I came home only to find out that the PBR was the Professional Bull Riders.

After a long hiatus of fishing w/ a glass rod (my first one) and recently casting a couple, I purchased a couple of glass blanks to build for future use... i liked the way they cast.

Does that make me a hipster?

Don

BTW. When I was younger and had hair, it was black.

dsmith1427 wrote:
Let me tell you about a blonde moment that I had.... I was driving home from work one day and an ad came on the radio talking about the PBR circuit/series/association coming to town. They kept talking PBR this and PBR that. The whole time I'm thinking what's the Pabst Blue Ribbon circuit/series... what are they talking about. I had to search it when I came home only to find out that the PBR was the Professional Bull Riders.

After a long hiatus of fishing w/ a glass rod (my first one) and recently casting a couple, I purchased a couple of glass blanks to build for future use... i liked the way they cast.

Does that make me a hipster?

Don

BTW. When I was younger and had hair, it was black.

only if you wear skinny jeans and carry a man purse ;-)

No skinny jeans. No man purse but I do have a Yeti iced down with some silver bullets... :)

My glass is half empty on this one...

If you like full flex rods, why NOT glass.
It's a matter of preference in casting stoke and feel, I enjoy my glass rods and my graphite rods.
Those saying it's an inferior tool for the job should sell Thier fly rods and take up spin fishing.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
It's a matter of preference in casting stoke and feel, I enjoy my glass rods and my graphite rods.
Those saying it's an inferior tool for the job should sell Thier fly rods and take up spin fishing.

Well said, my sentiments exactly. I have my favorite graphite, glass, and boo rods, love them all.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

It is an inferior tool and I will gladly start spin fishing if you give your truck up for a horse and buggy :p

I have some glass rods. I like using them. Still like graphite, can't say on is better than the other. Just depends on what kind of fishing I am doing but I use the glass I have for small stream fishing mainly

I use glass on bigger streams as well as small, I built a 9'3" 5 wt McFarland, it's soft, and it's perfect for swinging wets on a stream like penns. Is it good for casting streamers in a Wyoming wind? probably not, but I'm not in Wyoming.
I do know the damn thing will roll cast like a demon!!
like I said earlier, it's all in how you like to fish, and what type of water you like to fish. Some folks love the ultra lightning XYX super modulus delux fly snapper, I'm happy as hell with a vintage Philipson 6wt.

Back