Why Glass

afishinado wrote:

Perhaps some anglers were tired of the stiffer and faster rods every year marketed as a cure-all to your casting ills, for an ever-increasing price....

Keep your old rods if you like them...good for you! But don't tell me that all the new rods are fast and stiff and this and that....there are more rod choices out there than ever! I have some of the older model rods and they are good, but for me anyway, I like some of the new ones better! :-o

Lol...all you guys have got to get out more and check things out....all the rod manufacturers have introduced multiple lines of rods that are fast moderate and even slow....too many choices!

Sage offers 11 different rod lines...Winston has 9...Scott has 12... Orvis has 9 different rod offerings (plus offers both mid and tip flex in the same rod line).

Again...check out my avatar <

:roll:

The trend for a while was stiffer, faster rods. That WAS all the rage just a few years ago. I don't think anyone is saying that there weren't/aren't other options, but it did seem that the advertising, etc. was put into pushing the broomsticks.

What I'm not sure I agree with is the idea that the fast rods compensated for all our "casting woes". Some of those rods only magnified bad casting practices.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
The trend for a while was stiffer, faster rods. That WAS all the rage just a few years ago.

Hence why I've had to revamp my quiver with glass to keep my chick game in top form. I had to put a lot of really nice broomsticks out to pasture to make room. What's next? Boo...Tenkara...9wts on Gemmie streams...heaven forbid middle of the road med/fast graphite?

Fish what ya like folks. No sense in getting upset about what other people think. Except for spincasting. That's just wrong. :-o

Swattie87 wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:
The trend for a while was stiffer, faster rods. That WAS all the rage just a few years ago.

Hence why I've had to revamp my quiver with glass to keep my chick game in top form. I had to put a lot of really nice broomsticks out to pasture to make room. What's next? Boo...Tenkara...9wts on Gemmie streams...heaven forbid middle of the road med/fast graphite?

Fish what ya like folks. No sense in getting upset about what other people think. Except for spincasting. That's just wrong. :-o

Dude, like I said, it's only the interwebz.

I hear ya bra. (Did I use that Bro-ski term correctly?)

Edit: It's "brah." Yes, I looked it up.

What's next? Boo...Tenkara...9wts on Gemmie streams...

7 wt lines on fast action 4 wt rods on gemmie streams. Oh, wait...

Does that get the Jersey chicks?

I thought Pcray did an excellent job in pointing out the irony of my statements.

Yogi Berra described the hipster long before we knew of hipsters. "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Dudes just want a rod that looks cool with a flat brim hat and a buff, and a PBR, and a Yeti.

I'm with afishinado on this issue.

McSneek wrote:
Dudes just want a rod that looks cool with a flat brim hat and a buff, and a PBR, and a Yeti.

Is PBR gluten free, and will a Yeti fit in a tiny house?

I've listened to everyone's feedback, and am excited to announce a new product for release this holiday season:

A fiberglass tenkara rod featuring a coozie on the handle and Bluetooth connectivity (it doubles as a selfie stick).

So, i love glass rods, and have fished them for at least the past 20 years, i've been drinking pbr since i was 17(a LONG time ago), but i hate flat brimmed hats and skinny jeans, so im safe to assume im not a hipster, even though i have a (very gray!!) beard!!

Im looking now at what glass blanks i want to build up this winter! Im thinking a steffen would fit in nicely.

When I was young enough to be a hipster, trucker hats were the trend. I liked that because I have a big, fat head. Normal ball caps do no justice. I feel the same way about flat brim hats. I bend the brims, but they fit my head a lot better. I only own one, which I won in a "9 mile challenge" put on by the Southern Appalachian TU (they did a challenge to fish 9 miles of wild trout streams and track it...easy!)

I don't wear it in public though, because what with my long-standing beard, my tendency to wear plaid and flannel, which hides my fat, and my glass rods, someone might say I'm a hipster!!!!

I like PBR, wear flannel daily, and have 2 'glass rods thats I like to use.

Mini Coopers, skinny jeans, man buns, glass, blah, blah, blah. Trendy / hipster if you've recently "found the glass". If you've been fishing it for years, guess you like older stuff or you're just a dinosaur. Lol. The only places I've seen 'boo' or glass and haven't felt like going postal is on the Willowemoc, Beaverkill and the Letort. I can appreciate rolling back the clock and wanting to walk in the footsteps of the legends that fished here before you. I don't understand using it as a regular weapon of choice but to each his own. I'd never use plastic but they do make golf irons in graphite shafts. Just because you can catch steelhead on a 4wt switch rod and clicker reel doesn't make it the best option. Just to keep things period consistent, boo guys should take a horse drawn wagon to the stream, glass user should have to drive an AMC Gremlin and all you graphite users can drive Minis or Smart cars like me and Swattie.

"Glass is better for protecting tippets or better for dry fly fishing". At the risk of sounding rude, I'll call BS. You can trico fish with a 7wt if you are a decent caster and have the proper leader set up. "Try and find a moderate action graphite rod"... Sound like someone hasn't been rod shopping in years.

Since this has become a snarkfest (or maybe was beginning with the OP) I offer my snark tidbit:

After you've grown your ironic beard, you need an ironic fly rod.

McSneek wrote:

I don't get the PBR part. My grandmother drank PBR and smoked Marlboros.

Aren't hipsters into nasty bitter beer, like IPAs. Bikerfish, I need a ruling on that.

krayfish2 wrote:
Mini Coopers, skinny jeans, man buns, glass, blah, blah, blah. Trendy / hipster if you've recently "found the glass". If you've been fishing it for years, guess you like older stuff or you're just a dinosaur. Lol. The only places I've seen 'boo' or glass and haven't felt like going postal is on the Willowemoc, Beaverkill and the Letort. I can appreciate rolling back the clock and wanting to walk in the footsteps of the legends that fished here before you.

I don't get that part. What exactly is a fishing legend, and didn't they put their waders on one leg at a time?

I don't understand using it as a regular weapon of choice but to each his own.

Why? I once caught over 100 majestic bluegills on a couple hours on a bamboo fly rod.

I'd never use plastic but they do make golf irons in graphite shafts. Just because you can catch steelhead on a 4wt switch rod and clicker reel doesn't make it the best option. Just to keep things period consistent, boo guys should take a horse drawn wagon to the stream, glass user should have to drive an AMC Gremlin and all you graphite users can drive Minis or Smart cars like me and Swattie.

OK, I have nothing for that part. LOL!

But I did almost buy a 53 Chevy pickup the other day. By the time I decided to make an offer, it was sold. It's about the same age as my bamboo steelhead rod. I guess I will have to drive my 1949 tractor to the stream for the time being. If I rode a horse, I might get arrested for cruelty to animals.

"Glass is better for protecting tippets or better for dry fly fishing". At the risk of sounding rude, I'll call BS. You can trico fish with a 7wt if you are a decent caster and have the proper leader set up. "Try and find a moderate action graphite rod"... Sound like someone hasn't been rod shopping in years.

OK, I do have a couple moderate action graphite rods, but what's a trico? ;-) If I can't see it or tie it on a 5X tippet, I aint fishing with it.

troutbert wrote:
Since this has become a snarkfest (or maybe was beginning with the OP) I offer my snark tidbit:

After you've grown your ironic beard, you need an ironic fly rod.

I used to grow a beard for winter and it was sort of IRONic in color especially after eating spaghetti. Now it is just silver.

Attachments

• 55071-8829790.jpg
    55071-8829790.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1
FarmerDave wrote:
McSneek wrote:

Aren't hipsters into nasty bitter beer, like IPAs. Bikerfish, I need a ruling on that.

yes, they do prefer IPAs, but since I've been drinking IPAs since they were in diapers, I think I'm exempt.

I also have no chance in hell to have a man bun!!! unless I glue it on my bald head!!

No, see, this goes back to that "it got too popular part". When bitter beers like IPA's weren't common in Merica, yeah, hipsters took that on, because it was counter culture.

But then they became popular. So now the counter culture thing is going to tasteless, old, common beers...

Next thing you know skinny jeans will turn to bell bottoms...

I wear MC Hammer genie pants and drink nothing but tap water....way ahead of all of them. Still fishing 1970s rods since the 1970s

This has morphed into a summer heat wave cabin fever thread which I am not against.

Would a glass fishing, PBR drinking hipster prefer Abel nippers or drug store finger nail clippers?

Back