What, in your mind, qualifies a fly fisher as a 'flat brimmer'?

KeithS wrote:
Trust me, Squatch is neither hipster nor Flatbrimmer. He's way too insightful for either.

I'm not questioning the man's integrity, Just pointing out what happens when you pass judgement solely on someone's appearance.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Dude it's not the beard that makes them hipsters. Its the stupid hair cuts they get with the beards.

or no hair...the bald and bushy look :-?

man, they look like they got an upside down head.

:lol:

so wait is a hipster the same as a flat brimmer? I can't believe this post is still going.

It sounds to me like not necessarily, but there is some overlap.

The big question is, why is this still in the general forum. I'm not complaining though. I usually leave that up to Troutbert.

mcwillja wrote:
so wait is a hipster the same as a flat brimmer? I can't believe this post is still going.

There are hybrids. Flat brimsters Hip brimmers

Then there are the brimstoners.

Awesome. My beard is ironic!

I hate shaving. I get wicked terrible razor burn. But I do confess, since leaving the bank job, my beard has increased in length. In the spirit of good Presbyterian theologians of yesteryears, of course. I really strive for the "Late 19th/early 20th Century Princetonian Theologian" look.

Attachments

• ce184dd05d51cd8e0a48fdf2ec1bff3d.jpg
    ce184dd05d51cd8e0a48fdf2ec1bff3d.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2
I've been thinking of growing an Amish style beard so I can infiltrate, but I haven't figured out the language, yet.

I don't think so at all. Both are 'style' choices, but not the same. A hipster likes to look like an older sophisticated lumberjack type or wear old style clothes, utilize old things, where a flat brimmer is more like a surfer/skater/stoner style.

A Hipster would show up to the stream with a 1960's rod and reel and a wicker creel with a mustache and old school vest.

A flat brimmer will show up at the stream with a flat brim hat/ trucker cap and change out of his Vans sneakers into his waders and make sure he has his Oakley's on.

PocketWater wrote:
A Hipster would show up to the stream with a 1960's rod and reel and a wicker creel with a mustache and old school vest.

And skinny jeans.

Pokeyville is anywhere livestock outnumber registered voters.

Gotcha. Then I do wish I was the mayor of such a place

I live in "Pokeyville" by the given criteria in post 109.

The style shown would still be considered hipster in "Pokeyville". No offence, Sasquatch.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I live in "Pokeyville" by the given criteria in post 109.

I live in a suburb of Pokeyville.

I live in the next Pokeyville. its so obscure you probably wouldn't have heard of it.....

No offense taken. I is who I is. Like I said, give it a couple of months. I'll be out of style again.

"A Hipster would show up to the stream with a 1960's rod and reel and a wicker creel with a mustache and old school vest."

i don't wear skinny jeans, just good ol carharts.
i also like flannel.
i work in food processing facilities, facial hair means wearing a beard net, they suck, so i shave.
i don't keep fish, so no creel.
my stuff is from the 60's and 70's, including the truck.
i worn my 1960s vest out in the 90's...but i still have it.
i was apparently a hipster before it was hip.
i don't see it as style, it's just appreciation for the old way.
skinny jeans, are girl pants, and even they do not look good in them most of the time.

i think a flat brimmer would use a disk drag,ultra fast rod,strike indicator and beadhead, but dryfly when needed.they would have whatever the latest flies and colors and call traditional beadheads frenchies,etc.

i think a hipster would click and pawl,cane or glass and wet or dry, when seen,but use power bait when out of sight. they would have obscure flies you've never heard of.

i think they're opposites.

I think they're kind of opposites too, in attitude, though facial hair may be an overlap in appearance. I respect the flatbrimmers a heck of a lot more.

Flatbrimmers are generally bums of some obsession. The term trout-bum fits if they are into trout fishing. Yes, they'll have the latest and greatest equipment and trendy flies, while travelling all over the world on a shoestring budget and a diet of spaghetti o's and pop tarts to fish all the famous places, catching legitimately awesome fish and posing each just so to make them look even bigger. Perhaps even really getting into photography to better show off how awesome they are.

Remember, they're essentially the surfer culture. That's who they are. It's just expanded to other things beyond surfing.

A hipster, on the other hand, is pretty much a sub-genre of yuppie. They are young, urban, and well off, artsy and judgemental group who attempts to be edgy in style. Always looking for something new while shunning the established. As such, they can't become obsessed with anything, because doing so means being identified with the group that's into that thing.

I agree PCray. I think I am about half of a flat brimmer with 0 percent hipster. Basically a half assed flat brimmer.

Well, we could break out the Big Lebowski.

You'd get a flatbrimmer if you took Walter and did away with the aggressive attitude. Or took the dude and gave him some ambition.

Maude was a prototypical hipster.

Back