What are your go to flies for this time of year?

i like a wet ant(sz. 14-20) fished either by itself with no weight or as a dropper from a dry. I tie mine basically like a fur ant, only i substitute black thread coated with SH hard as nails(nail polish) for the humps of the ant. This is a common pattern, and is very effective. The hard as nails is key. it accentuates the black coloring of the ant body, gives it a glossy look like the natural, and makes it "plop" into the water which often seems to be the trigger for a strike. The only thing i dont like about this pattern is that the rear "hump" often closes the hook gape some, making missed takes a little more common.

Couldn't you tie that ant backwards, leaving the small hump at the hook gape? I don't think the trout would shy away. An ant is out of control in the water anyway, right?

But that would just be ant backwards :lol:

---TOP---

ant
deer-hair hopper
griffith's gnat
Hemingway Caddis
Ausable Wulff
White Wullf

---Nymphs---

I try not to...to much crap in the streams right now but if I must:

San Juan
Robinsin's Fast Water Sulphur
emerald city caddis

---Streamers--- (here's where it get fun)

Sculpins
Muddlers (these can double as a hopper in a pinch)

when the water comes up from a storm I am all about white wooly buggers and big articulated shizz

There you have it. thats what I am comfortable throwing with my 795. I'm stubborn this time of the year. if I can't use my 795 to fish it then ƒLJ¢k it

green weenie,black ant with a little orange on it so i can see it

Back