What are your angling colors?

most times i wear camo not sure if it helps. but most of my clothing for cold and wet is from hunting so its camo. In warm weather i wear a dark green or blue shirt. My warm weather waders are greenish color and my cold weather waders are camo.

"outsider, Did you buy the Cortland "Clear Creek" flyline that we talked about on the forum?"

Yes I did. Can't wait to try it out.

acristickid wrote:
Do you believe in stealthy clothes to go along with your approach to the stream?

I feel most anglers believe that bright colors are a no-no.

What colors do you believe work best for fishing as far as clothing? Tan, green, blue or camo?

I am not overly concerned but try not to wear bright colors and don’t go overboard- unless in Florida. You?

For me chosing to wear stealthy colths in the field is all part of the process of getting into a state of mind that is condusive to good trout fishing. Even if clothing color did not matter, in the over all scheming process that goes into catching a trout, I would rather not fish in bright orange cloths.

Dark green.

outsider, how about a report on the new flyline when you try it out? I think you will like it. I have that line in 2,3 and 4 weights and love it.

>"outsider, Did you buy the Cortland "Clear Creek" flyline that we talked about on the forum?"

Yes I did. Can't wait to try it out.?>>

It's a very nice line, IMO. I've been fishing them exclusively in WI and Iowa for the past 3 years or so. The price is right and I like to support Cortland, which I would imagine is in a fight for its life now with Rio, SA, Sage and everybody else and their left-handed brother in law in the fly line business. I don't know that the level tip makes that much of a difference, but it is a nice casting line, on all my rods anyway, which are all older, slower graphite.

The only down side I've found to them is that unless you keep right after them maintenance-wise, they start to crack and check fairly soon for what I've generally seen from Cortland lines, with the exception of the 444SL's. But, on the other hand, I'm tough on lines. I walk on them and seldom clean them and accordingly, I usually need a new one every season. The old peach 444's seemed to stand up to this and I could get 2 seasons out of them with a little care. But the Clear Creek seems to have a lifespan more like the 444SL's, somewhat shorter.

YMMV, of course..

There are a few places I've fished which require that blaze orange be worn. Though I'd rather spook a bunch of brookies than be mistaken for a deer, I've wondered if that bright shade of color spooks the fish, all other things being equal. What do you guys think? [color=000066](EDIT: I wear a blaze orange ball cap where/when needed)[/color]

P.S. : I wear mostly grays and shades of green/olive when I fish.

Yea, for the most part I share the same thoughts.

Mostly I wear either a lighter green or a darker green shirt and a neutral colored hat. This year I might switch to a camo hat- if only because my current and favorite LJRA hat is getting pretty ratty and I actually own a camo hat already.

Have worn brighter colored shirts in Florida or when I have been fortunate enough to float fish.

Thought for sure someone was gonna mention a bandana.

"outsider, how about a report on the new flyline when you try it out? I think you will like it. I have that line in 2,3 and 4 weights and love it."

It will be a while untill I fish it - probably a month. But I will report it. As soon as the back yard dries out I'll do some practice casts with it.

I don't understand why lines don't last for some people. I clean my lines every time I use one by running the line through a soft tissue and then I dress it. And I do take care of them when I fish. Honesty, I still use lines that are 30 years old.

Cammo is the thing to wear if you want to blend in. I laugh every time i see an angler with a white hat on or bright blue shirt , do you think the fish are blind? Earthtones are for Orvis folks heh

Well,if we are going to sneak up on them,sight unseen,wouldn't you need to wear reversible waders,hats,shirts,face paint?
A cameo outfit would be pretty obvious against a skyline and a bright blue or gray getup would stand out against a green or fall colored background.
Maybe a roll down thing on the hat? :-? :-?
I guess RLeeps idea is better.

Camo mostly for me, some green and olives colors too!

Not sure if the camo helps, I think it does so that why I wear it!

PaulG

Match the hatch and match the surroundings. Darker colors,less reflected light.I like to stay in the shadows as much as possible and wade upstream.GG

PaulG wrote:

Camo mostly for me, some green and olives colors too!

Not sure if the camo helps, I think it does so that why I wear it!

PaulG

It helps your fishing when you wear it.....

It helps your friends when you wash it! :-D

GG,

Is right-move in the shadows

Hey if you wash them alot they wear out, how do you think I've had those Tshirt so long ;-)

WildTigerTrout wrote:
outsider, how about a report on the new flyline when you try it out? I think you will like it. I have that line in 2,3 and 4 weights and love it.

Out of the box, this line is stiffer and has more memory that my other Cortland lines (444, 444SL). We'll see.

I wear Aqua Design Camo ,why because I don a pair of fins and a mask and have looked up from under the water at different depths while testing having a buddy cast Nymphs and streamers i have tied to see how they swim.
One thing i have noticed is id moving water the way the water distirts the loors of the sky and the foliage its very much like the aqua design shirts i wear ,also the thing i notice the most is the upper half of the angler so from my perspective wearing Drab or Camo is the way to go at least from the perspective of bright colors flashiness, you wont be able to keep your movement to nothing but you can keep them guessing a lil.
Wear camo if you can, also get two tyoes a greener type like for Spring gobbler season and a grey with brown tones for fall early spring.

Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

lonewolve, man you are a serious flyfisher! LOL! I may have to start wearing camo instead of just earthtones. Just kidding. Thanks for the info.

Bruno likes to wear florescent orange even when its not hunting season...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 5
I was not the only one wearing that color that day - My color choice is usually determined by what shirt I happen to wake up wearing. My in laws did by me a fishing shirt for my bday.

Back