Wading Boots Question

Wading boots have drains so that they don't hold water.

They also dry quicker and have no "soft" fabrics which will hold water, other than perhaps the felt on the sole if so equipped.

They incorporate only synthetics that are made to handle wet-dry cycles. That's hard on any material. But if you used real leather, for instance, they'd be toast in very short order. You'd lose all the oils in short order thanks to the water, and then be dry and cracking in no time.

Some cheaper lug boots, like the old style hippers, use a rubber on the sole that's similar to sneaker rubber. But traction is very poor. Most better wading boots use a softer rubber, and more aggressive pattern, that gives better traction on wet rock. The downside is that if you treat them like sneakers and put in many miles on concrete, they'll flatten out very quickly.

I have a good pair (set?) of stocking foot waders for spring that I picked up for less than $100. A search on google today for breathable chest waders netted a bunch from $70-85.

I bought my son a pair of boot foot waders at Cabelas in the clearance section for $25. Felt boots and 3 sizes too big. Chaching!

My Winter waders I grabbed at Walmart. Hodgeman, all neoprene.

Five Bucks. Yeah, I'm bragging a bit. I've already worn them twice, so I got my money back and more!

My boots are my most expensive item and I love them. Korkers - about $125 and worth every penny. Extremely comfortable (I have a size 14 Wide foot, so I can't wear just anything), and interchangable soles that allow you to go from felt to cleats to rubber on the go. I usually use the rubber as my regular sole, as it holds up really well to walking along the side of a road to get to an access point.

Keep looking around - there are bargains to be found. I am pretty frugal (cheap), but will say it is worthwhile to buy the RIGHT equipment, even if it isn't the "best".

my friend has g4's... after 4 months of guiding in AK, they're torn apart. He actually took 4 diggers today fishing icy patches.

I own 2 pairs of wading shoes/boots.

the simms freestones for days I want ankle support and won't be doing much hiking. They are a boot-style wading shoe. No felt, the vibram soles grip VERY well when compared to other vibram soles I have tried.

I also have CLoudveil 8x's (not around anymore, but check ebay)... they are my go-to for extended days when I'm hiking a lot. If i hike a lot w. the Simms Freestones, my feet are dragging by the end of the day and my back hurts.

The 8x's are super light weight and more of a wading shoe rather than a boot. They dry over night as well, opposed to the Freestones which can take up to 2 days.

Perfect for your wet wading trips in the summer; especially if you buy a pair of booties. If you're an avid wet-wader, pony up and get a pair of neoprene booties.

Once the weather warms up, I switch to some cheap watershoes from Walmart. On a real hot day the water on your feet feels real good. The only setback is once they get big holes in them they will fill up with sand and small stones. Thus you have to rinse them out every now and then.
i would be careful of the toxins that you may put into the water if your thinking about gluing felt to some boots.

Last spring I wet waded, but I fish the Lacky a lot and REFUSED to let any of that water touch much of my skin, so I used a cheap pair of hip boots to fish a lot of it. I have good waders now, and good wading boots, but I'm searching for a wading shoe I can also use for the longer hikes. The boots I have are kind of heavy, and I was told they can be used for hiking, but I'm not so sure.

I wet waded in my tevas last year which worked nicely and when it got cold I used some hip boots that were givento me. They were uncomfortable and slippery. I tried out my brothers good waders around rew year. The difference was like night and day.

Wet waded one day last year on the LL in sneakers. Slipped and craked the crap out of my knee. Not doing it again.

FlyGuyFromPa wrote:
Last spring I wet waded, but I fish the Lacky a lot and REFUSED to let any of that water touch much of my skin, so I used a cheap pair of hip boots to fish a lot of it. I have good waders now, and good wading boots, but I'm searching for a wading shoe I can also use for the longer hikes. The boots I have are kind of heavy, and I was told they can be used for hiking, but I'm not so sure.

read my answer above... the cloudveil 8x's are the best hiking/wading shoe I've ever worn. Very, very light. Once the felt wears, drive some studs down through the bottoms.

I wet wade in sandals sometimes... f it

Back