To tie one on or not?

I prefer to tie my own flies, but I will buy flies as needed. I typically buy flies when I don’t have time to tie what I need and also when I want local patterns. I always stop into a local fly shop to ask a few questions and buy a bunch of flies when I travel. I like to support local fly shops and I like to buy locally tied flies. Bugs vary from stream to stream in size, color, and species. The local knowledge and patterns are helpful. This always makes for a more successful day on water I’ve never fished or don’t fish often. I’ve also come across some great new that I began tying. Sadly, I’ve been buying more flies than I used to since I’ve gone back in school. Time is precious. Fish or tie flies… it’s an easy choice.

Maybe it's the way I was taught but I have a tough time buying flies.

When I was taught to fly fish I was also taught to tie flies. For me it goes hand in hand. When I first started fly fishing I didn't know anyone that fly fished that didn't tie their own flies, truth be told, at that time I didn't know you could buy flies.

JackM wrote:
Chaz wrote:
Can we have it in English?

The English tye BWOs in size 12, why would you want anything "in English?"

That's because their natural BWO's are that size. They're related to Hendricksons, not to the bugs we mis-named BWOs.

The English have been fly fishing for brown trout for the better part of a millennium, and pretty much know what they're doing.

To answer the original question, I've been tying for almost 50 years, although I still buy maybe 5% of what I fish.

The last time i bought a fly was in the 70's at Baldacinnos (sp?) it was a Mickey Finn streamer and i caught a beaut brook trout right at the bridge on 144 at Bunnell Pines in Potter County on Kettle Creek. Gonna have to tie a couple just to see.

I buy and bum! Hi everyone I'm still hangin around, I haven't been fishing for a long time but I'm thinking about going over to the Run next week, I'll let everyone know how I do.

One of the things I missed out on is tying my own flies, just never had the time in my younger days. If I had it to do over again I would
tie, it's a big part of flyfishing IMO.

I will say I had some friends that where very good at tying !

PaulG

I tie my own flies. I have been known to bum one now and then from Old Lefty and Heritage Angler. ;-)

I tie my own from a size 18 and below. Anything above a size 18 I buy. Eyes aren't what they used to be and fingers seem to get bigger when I go above a size 18. If I'm in a fly shop I like to buy some flies to help out the local shop.

I am not sure if anyone remembers Gary that used to work at the yellow breeches store? Heck he may lurk here? Anyways I used to like to chat with him while shopping and we got to talking about tying.
I was telling him how I had just really gotten into it and I think I am really going to enjoy it. Than he told me something I didnt expect him to say. He said "I have so much money in tying supply that I should have just bought the flies and been done with it".
So I think to myself yeah yeah he works at a fly shop he likes selling flies.

Well you know what 7 years later and thosands of dollars later Mr. Gary was so right. I tie a bunch of my stuff but tying is an ART and come to find out I am not much of an artist. Some of the men on here are incredible and I could never match there work. Than how many have wanted to tie a particular fly just to run out drop $300 on material when you could have bought two flies for four bucks? I love to tie dont get me wrong but sometimes I think I am stupid for doing it but I am to deep into now to turn back.

I buy most, and tie some. Overall, I'm not a very accomplished fly tyer.

I am good at spinner patterns and pretty much do those all myself. I also do egg patterns.

I tie some nymphs now and then, especially "anchor flies" ties with tons of weight built in. That kinda thing is hard to find in stores, and I like using them instead of shot in a tandem pattern. And I enjoy tying streamers now and then. Buggers, bunny leaches, etc.

I suck at hackling. If it has hackle, I buy it. And I use dries more often than not. If I'm on a trip and in a pinch, need flies and can't get to a shop, then I do make comparaduns. I also buy a lot of my unweighted nymphs. PT's and the like.

Back